Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can we slow down the game even more?
Quote | Reply
Now they are gonna review PI calls and no calls...

A 3.5 hour game just went to 4 hours.

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/...nterference-dpi-opi/

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Can we slow down the game even more? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would have been hard for the NFL not to have done something after the Saints/Rams no call. Think it's a good thing on balance. I just think they need to speed up the process of any reviews.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we slow down the game even more? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the players cooling down and getting stiff don't want so many reviews. Why have refs at all if every call is "Under review"

Missed calls happen. Bad calls happen. I'm tired of watching Bud light commercials when I should be watching football.

This makes going to a game in S. Florida impossible. It's bad enough to sit there next to some sweaty fat guy for 3 hours.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If nothing else, they could have allowed it in the fourth quarter only when it becomes more critical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I understand the change correctly, it's a great move. From the very beginning I thought the challenge flag should have been used to get the ruling on the last play correct, not simply to challenge what was called.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Missed calls happen. Bad calls happen. I'm tired of watching Bud light commercials when I should be watching football.
Heck, even with review missed calls and bad calls happen. (Wait until they start reviewing whether or not the left tackle was holding a pass rusher on every play.)

Tell the refs on the field they're there to do a job. No one will be looking over your shoulder to bail you out when you get the call wrong. And if you get a call wrong, that's just a fact of life and everyone will have to live with it.

(Some of the Bud Light commercials are pretty good, though.)

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they don't increase the number of challenges then I am ok with it. They have the ability to get it right, they should do it. Hopefully they apply the clear and convincing standard pretty strictly on these so they get plays like the NFC championship right but don't start overturning non-calls for every little hand fight.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why I DVR the games I want to watch.

I love football and can't remember the last time I watched one in real time - other than the superbowl. I simply don't have the time to sit around for 3.5+ hours on a Sunday (or Sat for playoffs) and watch tv.

I can watch an entire game in about 40 minutes and not. miss. a. single. play. I'm really good at ff through the bs between plays. No commercials, no halftime where big dudes state the obvious of what we all just watched... Just the game thanks.

The only difficult task is avoiding scoring updates and spoil alerts from social media... or just being out and about if it's a big game.

If I can help it I'll never sit through a filler-stuffed, slog of an NFL game again.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we slow down the game even more? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a problem with this specific rule change. Defensive PI is a spot foul, which can be a YUGE game changer if called incorrectly. Whereas Offensive PI is a measly 10 yards from the previous spot. Hardly fair in the scheme of the game.

If Defensive PI was only 15 yards, like college, then I'd say no review needed.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Can we slow down the game even more? [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I don't have a problem with this specific rule change. Defensive PI is a spot foul, which can be a YUGE game changer if called incorrectly. Whereas Offensive PI is a measly 10 yards from the previous spot. Hardly fair in the scheme of the game.

That's what they should have done. How many times have teams thrown the long ball just in hopes of getting the PI.

Make it 15 yards, screw the review, and lets play football.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Make it 15 yards, screw the review, and lets play football"

This.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the article that it shouldn't significantly affect the pace of play since the coaches still have the same number of challenges. They won't want to waste a challenge unless it's obvious and a big swing.

As far the the NFL pass interference rule, I think the NFL has it right. I can't stand it when in the college game, if a DB is beat on a long pass play, they can just tackle the receiver before the ball gets there and take the 15 yards. That seems unfair and unsportsmanlike and it happens too often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
mck414 wrote:

That's what they should have done. How many times have teams thrown the long ball just in hopes of getting the PI.

If the rule was 15 yards then every time a DB was beat on a play he could/would just go head hunt the receiver and knock him down long before the ball got there. A rule like that could negate a lot of big time plays, as a DB think you might be in a bad position? Knock the guy down, take the 15 yards and save the TD, no brainer. Which just so happens to be exactly what the Saints player was doing in the NFC champ game, he knew he got beat so he took the guy out to save the TD. I certainly don't want to see more of that.

It isn't going to slow the game down because they are not giving the coaches any more red flags to through. Same amount of challenges, same potential for game slowing reviews as before. They just now have the opportunity to use them on game changing plays, which was the point all along.

We just have to hope that Joey "toss the red flag early and often" Philbin, doesn't get a HC job anytime soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Can we slow down the game even more? [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:
Nova wrote:
mck414 wrote:

If the rule was 15 yards then every time a DB was beat on a play he could/would just go head hunt the receiver and knock him down long before the ball got there. A rule like that could negate a lot of big time plays, as a DB think you might be in a bad position? Knock the guy down, take the 15 yards and save the TD, no brainer. Which just so happens to be exactly what the Saints player was doing in the NFC champ game, he knew he got beat so he took the guy out to save the TD. I certainly don't want to see more of that.

It isn't going to slow the game down because they are not giving the coaches any more red flags to through. Same amount of challenges, same potential for game slowing reviews as before. They just now have the opportunity to use them on game changing plays, which was the point all along.

We just have to hope that Joey "toss the red flag early and often" Philbin, doesn't get a HC job anytime soon.

It's not PI if the ball isn't in the air, its just holding, 10 yds auto first. A lot of that goes on and isn't called because the ball goes the other way or the play wasn't meant to be pass

DB's will tackle, grab, interfere, whatever when they are beat to save the TD whether it's spot foul or 15yds.

I think there are too many "under review plays." Every touchdown, every this, or that... Enough, play the damn game.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:
Nova wrote:
mck414 wrote:

It's not PI if the ball isn't in the air, its just holding, 10 yds auto first. A lot of that goes on and isn't called because the ball goes the other way or the play wasn't meant to be pass

DB's will tackle, grab, interfere, whatever when they are beat to save the TD whether it's spot foul or 15yds.

I think there are too many "under review plays." Every touchdown, every this, or that... Enough, play the damn game.

Okay so you agree that a DB will interfere to save a TD even with the current rule of spot fouls. So are just to not have any more plays over 15 yards because every DB is instructed to knock their guy down anytime a ball is thrown to him over 15 yards?

No thanks.

I do agree the reviews take way too long. I think that got worse when they started deferring to NY on everything.
Quote Reply