Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Packers-Bears NFL Opener
Quote | Reply
I stumbled onto the "For The Win" site, and they've got some good/funny stuff there. An interesting take on the NFL's decision to schedule the Packers vs. the Bears for the season opener. They make a good case that it should have been Browns vs Patriots. Not a huge deal, but fun to think about.

"Third, we don’t need to see Aaron Rodgers and the Packers play the Bears in the first game of the season. We’ve been there and done that a number of times on national television.

Here’s what we need – Baker Mayfield and the Browns going to Foxborough to play Tom Brady and the Patriots. The new kid on the block vs. the old man on the block. Odell Beckham Jr.’s first game with the Browns. The defending champs starting life without Gronk. Plus, the Browns are already slated to play at New England this year. It all makes so much sense."

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/03/nfl-2019-season-opener-bears-packers-wrong

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No what we need is the Lions to play in the SuperBowl.. the rest of it just doesn't matter.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long do you plan to live as it's going to be awhile...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't disagree, there is a logical reason for this. It is the 100th season of the NFL and this is the oldest rivalry.

That said, even I would agree that Patriots vs. Browns would be a more compelling story line, and I will be at the game in Soldier Field.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
No what we need is the Lions to play in the SuperBowl.. the rest of it just doesn't matter.

+1. I ain't getting any younger

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
My dream Super Bowl is Browns vs Lions.
Can you guys step up your game to make this happen?
My Brownies are doing their part.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the Lions to get to Super Bowl they'd need something like the Electoral College where the loser actual wins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll take the Bears. Packers are a hot mess outside of Rogers.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumble Bee wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
My dream Super Bowl is Browns vs Lions.
Can you guys step up your game to make this happen?
My Brownies are doing their part.

While not my dream, I'd like to see that as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
While I don't disagree, there is a logical reason for this. It is the 100th season of the NFL and this is the oldest rivalry.

That said, even I would agree that Patriots vs. Browns would be a more compelling story line, and I will be at the game in Soldier Field.

I thought you were done with the NFL?

Quote:
Meh. I'm boycotting the NFL. I'm tired of watched scripted sporting events. I'm devoting my sports fandom to something more honest like professional wrestling.

Quote:
You are incredibly naive. If you want to see pure sports, watch the Olympics. This is show, not much different than "reality shows" like Survivor. That's all it is - a show. Ratings go up when there is controversy, good guys, and villains. The refs are there to provide those elements.
The vast majority of people watching the SB tonight are NOT fans of LA or NE. Yet there is a huge rooting interest in seeing the Patriots lose. That gooses the ratings and provides more money for the NFL.
Quote:
Not kidding - this fucking sport is corrupt. Absolutely corrupt.

I just might have to read all your future posts about the NFL in drama queen teenage girl voice.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
for the Lions to get to Super Bowl they'd need something like the Electoral College where the loser actual wins

If your going to make that comparison, its would be like a team complaining the actually won the game because they scored more touchdowns then the other team.

NFL is not decided on touchdowns its total points.
The Presidential election is not decided by popular vote (and thats a VERY good thing) its decided by the electoral college.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
JSA wrote:

I thought you were done with the NFL?

Quote:

Meh. I'm boycotting the NFL. I'm tired of watched scripted sporting events. I'm devoting my sports fandom to something more honest like professional wrestling.

Quote:
You are incredibly naive. If you want to see pure sports, watch the Olympics. This is show, not much different than "reality shows" like Survivor. That's all it is - a show. Ratings go up when there is controversy, good guys, and villains. The refs are there to provide those elements.
The vast majority of people watching the SB tonight are NOT fans of LA or NE. Yet there is a huge rooting interest in seeing the Patriots lose. That gooses the ratings and provides more money for the NFL.

Quote:
Not kidding - this fucking sport is corrupt. Absolutely corrupt.

I just might have to read all your future posts about the NFL in drama queen teenage girl voice.

I am with the exception of in-person games that I attend with my father. While he is in great health, he is up there in age and I do not know how much more time I have with him. Spending the entire day with my dad, smoking cigars, drinking beer, and bitching about this corrupt, scripted event, has formed some of my greatest memories and I would do nothing to squander that time because it will not last forever. We arrive 4 hours before kickoff for the tailgate event and stay nearly an hour after the game waiting for traffic to clear. It is an all-day event and one I cherish. Quite often, the game itself is the only part of the day that isn't awesome.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just when I was starting to worry the Pats wouldn't have any motivation. Let's all give Robert Kraft a big hand for whatever role he had in this scheduling sleight.
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kdw wrote:
Just when I was starting to worry the Pats wouldn't have any motivation. Let's all give Robert Kraft a big hand job for whatever role he had in this scheduling sleight.

Fixed it for you...
Quote Reply
Re: Packers-Bears NFL Opener [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
kdw wrote:
Just when I was starting to worry the Pats wouldn't have any motivation. Let's all give Robert Kraft a big hand job for whatever role he had in this scheduling sleight.

Fixed it for you...

Beat me (off) to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a just world we'd see New Orleans at New England, but really, how much does the opening game really matter anyway.

I'd rather see Cleveland and New England play mid-season as scheduled, so they're both in form and the games matter. Let them knock the rust off and slug it out in their respective divisions first.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Mar 28, 19 5:43
Quote Reply