Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pre-workout supplements/drinks - avoid altogther?
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever tried these?

I thought I'd give the Musashi pre-workout a go, just to see what it was like, and I have to say it made me feel like I was on meth. I've only tried it twice as I'm not sure if I like the feeling.

Its ingredients are:

Its informed sport range, which I understand means that it/the lab/factory it is made is tested to ensure no banned substances (before anyone jumps on that bandwagon).

Yesterday, I had a coffee around midday in addition to a serving of the pre-workout in morning and felt a bit anxious in the afternoon.

What are others' experiences on these? avoid them altogether? Gave them a go but didn't like them?
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-workout supplements/drinks - avoid altogther? [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't waste your money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caffeine: that's the one thing in there that's useful. Maybe beta-alanine for endurance. Creatine works, but it doesn't matter when you take it, no point in having it in a pre-workout. BCAAs are worthless.

Just stick with your coffee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried it about 5 years ago, got amped up, and did a killer workout, and spent the rest of the day with a monster migraine. I tried again last year, and it triggered monster migraines again. No thanks, experiment over. I've also talked to some of the regulars in the gym, who've admitted that once they get used to working out on the stuff, it gets very hard to get back to working out without it. It must work, as it's extremely popular at my gym, and most of the muscle heads use it. It's a hell of a lot of money to blow on something that didn't work.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay away from that shit, you pay for it after the workout... I use a short black coffee and MAP aminos give me a nice little perk up especially in the afternoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to drink water.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-workout supplements/drinks - avoid altogther? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small glass of red grapefruit juice. Sometimes a cup of tea too.

However I took up tri so that I could shave my legs and run away fast if I ever got in a situation where a football player even looked at me, and I stay well clear of the weights area in gyms where the big boys are as it's too scary. So perhaps depends what type of workout you are doing. Weights, no idea. Cardio/pilates, then no.

However I am pretty consistent with my post workout shake and really notice on the slower recovery if I miss one for some reason within half an hour of working out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lot of variables here, what type of workout/training you're doing and which pre workout you're using and the obvious human factor in what works for you.

Some of them are quite good, some of them make you feel like you're on cocaine or something.

A cheaper more natural alternative is probably a shot of beetroot juice and cup of coffee will do prety much what any pre workout will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a family physician. I see at least one patient a month with side effects related to supplements like this. Just too much caffeine and stimulants. Anxiety and palpitations are the usual problems. I warn athletes to avoid these proprietary concoctions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pass

A friend of ours uses that shit, and she says if she spends too long bullshitting with us at the reception desk between finishing her pre-workout, and actually doing her workout, she gets all anxious & jittery

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-workout supplements/drinks - avoid altogther? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It must work, as it's extremely popular at my gym, and most of the muscle heads use it.

That’s some solid logic right there....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried one that a musclehead friend recommended, spent an hour jittery AF and feeling like I was going to have a heart attack. Threw it away.

Recently was given some samples of Hammer nutrition pre workout and no jitters, but I think it's got less of the crazy stuff the muscleheads use
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Trainerroad podcast just did a good section on this in Episode 198 - https://forum.trainerroad.com/...ling-coach-198/13243

Short answer, they aren't worth it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-workout supplements/drinks - avoid altogther? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of the point, get you hyped. But mostly for when you're not "fresh".

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be the beta alanine that's making you feel weird. It makes your skin crawl / tingle.
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-workout supplements/drinks - avoid altogther? [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agree, i've always kind of liked them for before weight sessions, especially if doing some AMRAP or lifting heavy. And i don't do it as much anymore but during college rowing, we used to spend a lot of time in the weight room, especially in the winter.

to each his or her own, basically!
Quote Reply
Re: Pre-workout supplements/drinks - avoid altogther? [devolikewhoa83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would never take a pre-workout before aerobic activity. Ever.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use this to help wake up for early (3:45-6am) Zwift races. It tastes just as an american-processed as blue raspberry will but it's cheap. Also I'm not sure on the purity, so that is also a potential issue that should be considered.

https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with real food.

Any workout an hour or less, no breakfast before.

Long rides, small bowl of oatmeal with PB mixed in. Bring snacks.

Long run, sports drink before and during and time with water breaks/water fountains.

Eat whole foods after.

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply