Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Roadie question
Quote | Reply
What kind of workouts do you do in the week before a race? Do you workout the day before? What kind of warmup do you do before the race?

Oh yeah, a 34 mile road race.

Thanks
Last edited by: jaylew: Jan 27, 04 23:30
Quote Reply
Re: Roadie question [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaylew,

Ahh a roadie question. All I can say is what I typically do. I'm also assuming that this is not an "A" race, rather it is just a regular training race. Assume the race is on a Sunday.

Mon-Thursday - follow your regular training schedule.

Friday. You have several options here. Either take the day off, or have a steady recovery ride, couple of hours. Play this one by ear. I also don't have a day off earlier in the week.

Saturday. 2 hours mostly steady with a set of 5-8 sprints (20 seconds, 39/17, cadence 150 plus) thrown in to loosen up. Allow enough recovery time between each sprint to let the HR drop below 130.

Sunday. Race day. 35 mile rr will be fast, assuming a decent sized field, so warm up for at least an hour. 1/2 hour easy, then 2x10 mins increasing intensity, finishing at about 160-170 bpm. (85%). steady spin until as close to the start as possible.

Then enjoy the race
Quote Reply
Re: Roadie question [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the help. I have another question. Would it be ok to use tri-spokes? The wheels I have on my road bike are heavy and the tires are cheap training tires. I have some nimble crosswinds(tubular)which are MUCH lighter and accelerate much faster than my training wheels. Would these be ok for a road race?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fundamentally, there's nothing wrong with the 3 spokes. However, you should check the rules to see if they will be allowed. The UCI has banned 3 spoke wheels for mass start racing, I'm not sure if USA Cycling has followed suit or not. I'm not in the states, so I haven't learned their rulebook.

Even if the 3-spokes are allowed, I would be more inclined to put some new rubber on your normal training wheels and race on those. Just thinking about the $$$ if you crash and wreckem. Spoked wheels can be repaired. I've had guys just ride straight into my back wheel and rip out the spokes, when you're in the bunch its hard to avoid potholes, numerous other things.

As a group, we tend to get obsessive about the gear we use, how much it weighs, how aero it is. If it was good enough for Eddy....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't sway much from your normal training schedule. As another poster put it. Unless it is your "worlds" it is better to just keep plugging away at the miles. I frequently ride to the local races when our season starts in March. It is about a 35 mile ride there, we get a group of about 3-5 guys that roll in after 90 minutes and race. There is a 7 race "Spring Series" and the distances start at 50k and go up 5k each week.

The 35 mile ride there provides a great warm up, the race is great interval and intensity training, and the 35 mile home is a great cool down.

Ride the Nimbles, that is why you bought them! I'm never afraid to use my race wheels at a race. USCF won't adopt the UCI rules for a while still so your wheels are ok. Ditch the aerobars and you are ready.

And if I may offer a bit of advice, never ever take a pull at the front unless there are less than 4 people on your wheel. No sence dragging the roadies around all race.

Good Luck,
SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply