Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
trail wrote:
You still don't understand! There are no official charges, so he's been completely exonerated!

Some people have definitely been triggered.

I love the knowing nods about how a 2nd-rate celebrity who probably doesn't have 7-figure net worth is an instrument of incredibly powerful dark corrupting forces - OMG pictures with Michelle! But the 1st-rate celebrity with 10-figure net worth has been completely exonerated and we should feel ashamed for out thoughts that it could be otherwise.

-

I appreciate the OP to you hitting on the theme, and I do think Trump has been cleared on the collusion front (no evidence of conspiracy to collude). I don't think people here are saying that they are 100% sure Trump is clear on obstruction, just that Barr and Rosenstein (and team) have given their take that Trump is clear on that front. Trump is the one who used his bad words again and said "complete exoneration". Are there those here you guys are taking issue with, or is it just a shot at Trump's over-reach in his comments?

ps. I'd posit that Trump's oral-overreach and frequent poor choice of words is part of what made him look guilty as hell to begin with.

Lol! If you want collusion and obstruction of justice look no further the this Jussie debacle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
(no evidence of conspiracy to collude).

This is the whole joke though.

Technically speaking one man's interpretation is "...the evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference."

That's pretty carefully worded. It doesn't say no evidence. It says the evidence doesn't "establish." I assume that's a reference to "establish beyond a reasonable doubt." So it could be mean anything between "no evidence" and "there's evidence, but we don't have the President dead to rights." And when you're talking about a President I think you probably take "dead to rights" and raise the bar a few inches higher than that. That's a pretty broad range.

But the joke is that it's "total vindication."
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
trail wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Well, it's certainly pissed off Rahm Emanuel.

It should! I'm of the mind that we should give no shelter to celebrity.

And now apparently Mr. Smollett and his team are "weighing options" on suing CPD: https://www.usatoday.com/...-emanuel/3285860002/

Why not? They just made the City of Chicago their bitch and they pwned them like nobody's business. Brass balls. I give them that.

Some pigs are more equal than others. Some British guy said that, I think. Or one of those reality TV show veterinarians. I forget which.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluemonkeytri wrote:
No way they sue, this is just more grandstanding. They know they can't let this get back into the courts.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
dave_w wrote:

(no evidence of conspiracy to collude).

This is the whole joke though.

Technically speaking one man's interpretation is "...the evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference."

That's pretty carefully worded. It doesn't say no evidence. It says the evidence doesn't "establish." I assume that's a reference to "establish beyond a reasonable doubt." So it could be mean anything between "no evidence" and "there's evidence, but we don't have the President dead to rights." And when you're talking about a President I think you probably take "dead to rights" and raise the bar a few inches higher than that. That's a pretty broad range.

But the joke is that it's "total vindication."
-
thx, I guess I see Mueller taking a solid position on conspiracy as pretty much case closed there. The obstruction charge was much more ambivalent from Mueller, and I see the Barr/Rosenstein position as still a win for Trump, but not the last word. Still, bottom line agreement with: "But the joke is that it's "total vindication."
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
trail wrote:
You still don't understand! There are no official charges, so he's been completely exonerated!

I love the knowing nods about how a 2nd-rate celebrity who probably doesn't have 7-figure net worth is an instrument of incredibly powerful dark corrupting forces - OMG pictures with Michelle! But the 1st-rate celebrity with 10-figure net worth has been completely exonerated and we should feel ashamed for out thoughts that it could be otherwise.

Can you imagine how bad it would look if Smollett hired the person that declared there would be no charges, after that person sent a lengthy letter to Smollett explaining why he should not be charged? That would look very corrupt.
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
trail wrote:

Can you imagine how bad it would look if Smollett hired the person that declared there would be no charges, after that person sent a lengthy letter to Smollett explaining why he should not be charged? That would look very corrupt.
-
Looks like you did not read what was written:

Obstruction of Justice. The report’s second part addresses a number of actions by the President - most of which have been the subject of public reporting - that the Special Counsel investigated as potentially raising obstruction-of-justice concerns. After making a “thorough factual investigation” into these matters, the Special Counsel considered whether to evaluate the conduct under Department standards governing prosecution and declination decisions but ultimately determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment. The Special Counsel therefore did not draw a conclusion - one way or the other - as to whether the examined conduct constituted obstruction. Instead, for each of the relevant actions investigated, the report sets out evidence on both sides of the question and leaves unresolved what the Special Counsel views as “difficult issues” of law and fact concerning whether the President’s actions and intent could be viewed as obstruction .. The Special Counsel states that “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”
The Special Counsel’s decision to describe the facts of his obstruction investigation without reaching any legal conclusions leaves it to the Attorney General to determine whether the conduct described in the report constitutes a crime. Over the course of the investigation, the Special Counsel’s office engaged in discussions with certain Department officials regarding many of the legal and factual matters at issue in the Special Counsel’s obstruction investigation. After reviewing the Special Counsel’s final report on these issues; consulting with Department officials, including the Office of Legal Counsel; and applying the principles of federal prosecution that guide our charging decisions, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and I have concluded that the evidence developed during the Special Counsel’s investigation is not sufficient to establish that the President committed an obstruction-of-justice offense. Our determination was made without regard to, and is not based on, the constitutional considerations that surround the indictment and criminal prosecution of a sitting president.
In making this determination, we noted that the Special Counsel recognized that “the evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference,” and that, while not determinative, the absence of such evidence bears upon the President’s intent with respect to obstruction. Generally speaking, to obtain and sustain an obstruction conviction, the government would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person, acting with corrupt intent, engaged in obstructive conduct with a sufficient nexus to a pending or contemplated proceeding. In cataloguing the President’s actions, many of which took place in public view, the report identifies no actions that, in our judgment, constitute obstructive conduct, had a nexus to a pending or contemplated proceeding, and were done with corrupt intent, each of which, under the Department’s principles of federal prosecution guiding charging decisions, would need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to establish an obstruction-of­justice offense.
-

Here's a piece that describes some of the hurdles in this type of case:

https://www.msn.com/...r-BBVcHkX?li=BBnb7Kw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
chaparral wrote:
trail wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
trail wrote:

-
Looks like you did not read what was written:

Obstruction of Justice. The report’s second part addresses a number of actions by the President - most of which have been the subject of public reporting - that the Special Counsel investigated as potentially raising obstruction-of-justice concerns. After making a “thorough factual investigation” into these matters, the Special Counsel considered whether to evaluate the conduct under Department standards governing prosecution and declination decisions but ultimately determined not to make a traditional prosecutorial judgment. The Special Counsel therefore did not draw a conclusion - one way or the other - as to whether the examined conduct constituted obstruction. Instead, for each of the relevant actions investigated, the report sets out evidence on both sides of the question and leaves unresolved what the Special Counsel views as “difficult issues” of law and fact concerning whether the President’s actions and intent could be viewed as obstruction .. The Special Counsel states that “while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him.”
The Special Counsel’s decision to describe the facts of his obstruction investigation without reaching any legal conclusions leaves it to the Attorney General to determine whether the conduct described in the report constitutes a crime. Over the course of the investigation, the Special Counsel’s office engaged in discussions with certain Department officials regarding many of the legal and factual matters at issue in the Special Counsel’s obstruction investigation. After reviewing the Special Counsel’s final report on these issues; consulting with Department officials, including the Office of Legal Counsel; and applying the principles of federal prosecution that guide our charging decisions, Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein and I have concluded that the evidence developed during the Special Counsel’s investigation is not sufficient to establish that the President committed an obstruction-of-justice offense. Our determination was made without regard to, and is not based on, the constitutional considerations that surround the indictment and criminal prosecution of a sitting president.
In making this determination, we noted that the Special Counsel recognized that “the evidence does not establish that the President was involved in an underlying crime related to Russian election interference,” and that, while not determinative, the absence of such evidence bears upon the President’s intent with respect to obstruction. Generally speaking, to obtain and sustain an obstruction conviction, the government would need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a person, acting with corrupt intent, engaged in obstructive conduct with a sufficient nexus to a pending or contemplated proceeding. In cataloguing the President’s actions, many of which took place in public view, the report identifies no actions that, in our judgment, constitute obstructive conduct, had a nexus to a pending or contemplated proceeding, and were done with corrupt intent, each of which, under the Department’s principles of federal prosecution guiding charging decisions, would need to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt to establish an obstruction-of­justice offense.
-

Here's a piece that describes some of the hurdles in this type of case:

https://www.msn.com/...r-BBVcHkX?li=BBnb7Kw

Getting back to the actual issue at hand here -- not this stupid-ass obstruction and collusion ass-hattery that was supposedly committed by that idiot in the White House (actually, he's neither evil genius, nor serial bumbler... he's just who he is, like Barack Obama was who he was), CWBChicago managed to sneak in a Freedom of Information Act request to the Chicago Police Department before all the records were sealed, and the cops responded at light speed in getting the complete redacted investigative file back to them:

"CWBChicago is posting the complete Chicago Police Department investigative file on the Jussie Smollett “hate crime” investigation that we have received in response to a Freedom of Information Act request.

We have not read or reviewed the files for completeness or accuracy.

FILE 1 HERE

FILE 2 HERE

These files were provided by the Chicago Police Department in response to a FOIA request that CWBChicago submitted upon learning that the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office had reached a sealed agreement to resolve Smollett’s criminal exposure in the case.

Our requests for video, including bodycam, surveillance, and interrogation, was denied."

Giving props to the cops where they're due, it looks like CPD devoted a lot of resources to cracking the Smollett "hate crime" case that he himself so obviously staged. And there doesn't seem to be any sort of question that the cops did the job right and with professionalism and non-partisanship. Plus, local Chicago media outlets that covered the Smollett farce should all receive Pulitzers for their work, unlike the execrable and downright biased reporting undertaken by much of the national media, which clearly tried to turn Smollett into this century's version of Emmitt Till.

Anyway, ABC 7News has a good story here.

Chicago, and Cook County, are widely regarded as being among the most corrupt municipal and county governments in the United States, and so we shouldn't be surprised at this case's outcome, but its handling is rotten even by Windy City standards. Someone needs to get to the bottom of what happened and just why the ultra-progressive State's Attorney, Kim Foxx, whose greasy fingers look like they're all over this case, despite her earlier recusal from it, is being allowed anywhere near the criminal justice system, other than in a county jailhouse orange jumpsuit.

Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strange that people don't bring up the point that people could have been falsely charged for this. Imagine if a couple white guys were arrested because they were in the wrong place and the wrong time.
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Strange that people don't bring up the point that people could have been falsely charged for this. Imagine if a couple white guys were arrested because they were in the wrong place and the wrong time.

Jussie Smollett will be this generation's O.J., forever in search of the white guys that beat him up, poured bleach on him and screamed "This is MAGA Country!" all while gamboling about in Chicago's January polar vortex-like midnight weather. I wonder how O.J.'s doing in his continual search for the killers of his wife and her companion? Probably as well as Smollett will do in finding the real attackers, don't you think?

The sad part about this is, Smollett's probably going to end up being mythologized by the same crowd that's been trying to mythologize Michael "Hands Up, Don't Shoot" Brown ever since he charged that Ferguson cop and experienced the standard outcome when you do something that stupid to a law enforcement officer who's drawn his weapon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this entire thread is enjoyingly predictable, sometimes it's nice to be reminded that most people are exactly who we think they are and never change.
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
this entire thread is enjoyingly predictable, sometimes it's nice to be reminded that most people are exactly who we think they are and never change.
-
Post some cash to Dan for the entertainment. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:

So what is your opinion on this case? Do you think that Smollett fabricated a hoax or was the victim of hate crime?
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I really want the Chicago Corporation to sue the fucker civilly.

Called it
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
windywave wrote:

I really want the Chicago Corporation to sue the fucker civilly.

Called it

Good. I hope they put a nice dent in his bank account.
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:
As a former Chicago resident, I'm not surprised. THE most corrupt city... possibly in the world. One of Daley's nephews killed a guy in a bar fight about ten years ago and it took years for the family of the deceased to even obtain the assailant's identity. No charges were brought of course. During the financial crisis Daley leased the city's parking meters to a syndicate that was put together by one of his kids. 100 year lease for a whopping $250mil.

F'ing cesspool of corruption.

I have to say that I don't understand what went on with this. Initially, there were reports Smollett could get 43 years. I thought that seemed ridiculously excessive as a number to anchor our thoughts about this hoax. Now, he's not even going to be prosecuted, despite the aspersions cast on Chicago PD and Smollett accepting zero accountability for his actions? That's really at odds with how the system typically works.

However, I'm reluctant to cite corruption unless I've got some good probable cause to suspect a particular type of corruption. Here we don't have it. We don't know if someone received some payola, or if someone is sympathetic to Smollett's cause, or if the DA just didn't want the publicity of this particular case. The list could go on.

As a former Chicago resident, I can assure you that someone somewhere is on the take.
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong, but he was not exonerated, or proved innocent, the Chicago D A just decided not to prosecute because she felt there wasn’t enough evidence to get a conviction. Did he pay the money to Chicago yet? I thought it was due yesterday? The new mayor says there’s going to be an investigation....think she’ll get a call from Barry??
Last edited by: Litemike: Apr 5, 19 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [Litemike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alllllllll the outrage over this guy...........where's a lasting rage against the guy who shot up some GOP guys at a baseball game or the loco who mailed stuff to Democratic members? The news cycle seemed way shorter on those folks.

But, get something that just barely hints at deep state conspiracy theory.......and it's suddenly not "just some loco idiot" that should be swept under the rug. It becomes a convenient tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [Litemike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Litemike wrote:
Obviously I’ll be corrected if I’m wrong, but he was not exonerated, or proved innocent, the Chicago D A just decided not to prosecute because she felt there wasn’t enough evidence to get a conviction. Did he pay the money to Chicago yet? I thought it was due yesterday? The new mayor says there’s going to be an investigation....think she’ll get a call from Barry??

You're waaaaaay late to the joke. The "exonerated" comment is a dig at Trump for claiming exoneration by the Mueller report. Neither man was "exonerated," Smollett even less so than Trump.

''The enemy isn't conservatism. The enemy isn't liberalism. The enemy is bulls**t.''

—Lars-Erik Nelson
Quote Reply
Re: Jussie Smollett fully and completely exonerated! [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the links to the documents. Interesting reading! Also, whoever redacted it is very very bad at it. So much so you have to wonder if it's intentional.
Quote Reply

Prev Next