Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mast cell tumor in my dog
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone out there had treated their dog for mast cell cancer? My 5 yo bullmastiff is going under the knife Friday to remove a tumor that is cancerous and hopefully we caught it early and will have clean margins. They will send the tumor out to be staged, then we will know more. Just wondered if this is a one surgery deal and she lives a normal life or is it going to shorten, and even more importantly, decrease her quality of life.
She is already on a no grain, salmon high quality food with little to no human food treats so I don't think I can clean up her diet much at all. Don't think going raw would be an option here.
Just like to know what folks have experienced in real life vs info on line.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Mast cell tumor in my dog [cayenne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please rethink the no grain diet. There are a few studies showing that isn't healthy for dogs.

My dog had a cancerous tumor in 2010. We didn't find it soon enough
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've had 2 mast cell tumors removed - 1 on the RR leg of an 8 year old female weimaraner, and one from the R side of a 5-6 year old male pit bull. We did catch them fairly early and both were successful - clean margins and full recovery in both cases. We lost our weim years after the surgery to pneumonia. Our pit had surgery about 2 1/2 years ago and is happy and healthy - he's got awful food allergies, and is on grain-free as well - tried raw food, but we've had better results with quality grain-free food & treats.

Hope everything goes well for your girl!

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We had a tumor removed last year from our (at that time) 10 year old collie/shephard mix. Clear margins and it does not appear to have impacted her quality of life. Het recovery was a few weeks and included a bonus trip to the vet since she managed to rub against the floor hard enough to jack up the incision point (right side mid torso). Outside of that fairly smooth sailing.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Thanks everyone for the responses and the encouraging results from early intervention surgery. I also heard the research about the not so great results of no grain diet but she seems to have overall thrived on it. Will consider further research though.
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Our dog had one removed ~1 year ago. Good margins, and he seems to be fine now. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My 9 year old Golden just had two tumors removed in October. Recovery was about two weeks before she was back to her usual self, but doesn't seem to have bothered her past that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's wishing you luck. what i've always done with my dogs: what you're doing, having tumors removed and hoping for the best. you get an extra 6 months or 6 years or however long, depending on whether you got it all. what i have had no good luck with, and i've had 3, i believe, tries at this: chemotherapy. i won't do that anymore. dog chemo seems to be at the efficacy level of human chemo in the 1960s.

grain: wolves and dogs are not alike. the wolves that survived and thrived as dogs did so because of their ability to digest human food. dogs have digestive enzymes - amylase, and a stylized version of maltase, as examples - that wolves lack, specific to the breakdown of starch. the question for your dog: does that mean that your dog can digest starch? or that he needs to digest starch?

basically, dogs are just like people. we adapted to the diets of our ancestors. my wife lacks the gene for lactase persistance (she's lactose intolerant). she's black. so, of course. almost all black people (and chinese people) are lactose intolerant, because they almost entirely did not - historically - live off the milk of their domestic animals. i suspect if you really wanted to get seriously silly about this, you could get your dog's DNA run ;-)

good luck to you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wishing you the best of luck!
Going through some stuff with my boy (DM) kind of like MS in dogs. I cant offer you any advice but I feel for you.
Quote Reply