Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: tacx neo 2 or wahoo kickr 2018 [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane: what gear combination do you recommend for erg mode with the Neo? I was not aware of this and most of my training is in erg mode with a 53 up front and a 28-12 (from memory) at the back, generally have it in a middle of the road gear.
I have to admit to finding it a tad easier out on the road to hold the same power as I do indoors on the neo but put this down to just the differences between indoors and outdoors...
It is pretty important given I have a 5 hour 180k IM ride coming up!

gplama wrote:
:)

It's not a 'bad' trainer by any means. There's just a few edge cases where it's not the best.
Quote Reply
Re: tacx neo 2 or wahoo kickr 2018 [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go with old-school 'what feels the best' or similar indoors to out. If you have a power meter on the bike then you won't run into any dramas with the power accuracy vs flywheel speeds.

Ideally this is a question that Cycling Dynamics could answer. Matching your indoor Peak Pedal Phase with what you do outside. (Limited to Vector and Assioma at the moment). I guess Rotor also have some nifty analysis that's similar.

All the best with the 180km leg too. That's around 160km longer than most TTs I ever targeted.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: tacx neo 2 or wahoo kickr 2018 [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks mate....
There is the small issue of running a marathon after that as well....
Cheers.

gplama wrote:
Go with old-school 'what feels the best' or similar indoors to out. If you have a power meter on the bike then you won't run into any dramas with the power accuracy vs flywheel speeds.

Ideally this is a question that Cycling Dynamics could answer. Matching your indoor Peak Pedal Phase with what you do outside. (Limited to Vector and Assioma at the moment). I guess Rotor also have some nifty analysis that's similar.

All the best with the 180km leg too. That's around 160km longer than most TTs I ever targeted.
Quote Reply
Re: tacx neo 2 or wahoo kickr 2018 [cscameron82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a chance to ride both and by far prefer the Neo2. I had a Neo for 3 years until I had an issue with it last season where smoke started coming out of the back. While I took it in for repairs the bike shop gave me a brand new Kickr 2018 to ride. It was louder and not the same ride for sure, I actually ended having issues with the Kickr within 2 weeks but learned that my Neo was back from service. When I got to the store they gave me a brand new Neo2 as a replacement as they could not repair the Neo.... been riding that ever since.
Quote Reply
Re: tacx neo 2 or wahoo kickr 2018 [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I experimented gearing and power differences between my Assioma pedals and Neo 2. I found that when the virtual speed gets above around 20 MPH, the accuracy starts to diverge. At 25 MPH and 200W, the differences is at least 20W and increases from there. So, I choose a gear to generally keep my flywheel speed around 15 MPH. So for me, that is a 36x15-- relatively light gear with a straight chainline.
Quote Reply
Re: tacx neo 2 or wahoo kickr 2018 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fwiw - Those that use TrainerRoad will note that for years they recommend (for all trainers) to use the small ring in the front for ERG mode. They actually pop it up in a 'Warning' message when you pair to the trainer (that you probably didn't read) For their purposes it was actually less about straight-up power accuracy, but more about power control.

Trainers across the board due better at changing wattages with a lower flywheel speed. By going to the smaller front ring you do exactly that - and, you'll find that responsiveness is far better too.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next