Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Any info on new Mavic Open Pro Carbon Rims?
Quote | Reply
The GCN show reported Mavic has finally added carbon options to their range of open pro rims. I can't find details for them anywhere though and I want to know when they will be available and the approximate cost.

I am building up a new commuter/winter bike and was going to get Hed Belgium rims laced with Hope hubs. I would certainly be interested in the open pros IF they are 2-3 times the price of the alloy versions (£150-£200 per rim) as Belgium rims seem to be really expensive here in the UK. But I am not sure if that's a realistic price estimate or if Mavic is going to put a super premium price tag on them because of the lack of other options on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: Any info on new Mavic Open Pro Carbon Rims? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be nervous of shiiite carbon braking - esp. On a commuter / winter bike to be used in naff wet Blighty and fheckwhits in panzerwagons trying to kill you on the ride home each eve.
Quote Reply
Re: Any info on new Mavic Open Pro Carbon Rims? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes except that I am talking disc brakes. A big reason I am upgrading is I am eating through alloy brake tracks at a rate of new wheels every 2 winters. I don’t think carbon brake tracks deal well with that level of abuse.
Quote Reply
Re: Any info on new Mavic Open Pro Carbon Rims? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand you're talking about using disc brakes, but for a winter/commuter bike why would you want more expensive rims that might be a few grams lighter, but that will certainly be destroyed if you have to ride a flat for any measurable distance? I'm not ant-technology or anti-carbon, I race on carbon wheels for their aerodynamic properties, but I would not commute or ride them around everyday in bad conditions. Buy some inexpensive but reliable Kinlins, use the money you saved for better fenders or a really nice rainjacket or pair of winter shoes.
Quote Reply