Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Dimm wrote:
desert dude wrote:
lightheir wrote:

I did everything. I tried hard as I could to not quit for the first month of it, figuring I'd acclimate. When I didn't I bumped down the FTP. But not too much. THen I started turning it down, 5, even 10%. That worked for awhile, finished the Oly base. But then I started the next TR Oly build block, and the whole cycle repeated again until I was pretty totally beatdown by the mid-late stage of the plan. Pulled the plug at that point.

Honestly, even if I'd turned the FTP down a full 30 watts, ..............mainly because I wasn't crushed from all those darn bike intervals.

I only read a few posts back. Sounds like a few things
1. poor program design bc it crushed you for everything else
2. you estimated FTP was way too high. This is pretty common. For instance I was talking with an athlete the other day who thought their FTP was about 275. I told them it was closer to 250. it can be deflating. ultimately most people would be better off underestimating FTP by 15w than over estimating it by 5w.
3. erg mode
4. you gave it too much time to acclimate. If you still struggled at 5-10% below your best bet would have been taking an easy week
5. too many intervals. Folks and I've said this before: more intervals isn't more better

I read this thread carefully, including Brian’s comments above, as I had very similar experiences with the TR Olympic mid volume plan this year. The base program seemed well structured and reasonably challenging, the bike part was mostly sweet spot with some small injections of short sprints and vo2max. Very reasonable.

However when I moved into the build phase, I started grudgingly questioning the logic of the bike program. I very much respect the TR team, their excellent podcast and the really polished software - so questioning the design of this training plan was a gradual and almost subconscious process. I could just barely finish some of the workouts - and some of them now left me completely gassed, even when I adjusted the intensity down a bit for some intervals. Well, every week it is always one tough VO2max workout, one workout with long intervals usually at 108% (likely overinflated) FTP, and one long ride. And then the specialty phase was even worse - even more grueling VO2max workouts every week, long intervals at 105% (again, likely overinflated) FTP, and a more reasonable long ride a bit below FTP.

I may be missing something, but where is specificity in constant VO2max and above FTP intervals? Maybe this could be relevant for draft legal professional Olympic triathlon, but I doubt that the pros are the target audience of the TR plans. Out of curiosity, I recently downloaded a trial version of Sufferfest to check out their Olympic plan, and while their plan unsurprisingly also includes a fair bit of intensity, many of their suprathreshold intervals are shorter, they also have easier workouts and over and under intervals, some of the intense workouts themselves are shorter, and they have weeks with significantly reduced volumes which is not the case with TR. The Sufferfest plan overall is shorter and less polished, the swim and run workouts sometimes look like an afterthought and I find the whole Sufferlandia theme somewhat annoying. However I suspect that their bike program might be more effective because at first glance it has less overall volume with long intense intervals, allowing for more appropriate training load and a higher chance of recovery and super compensation.

This is not TR bashing at all, I will likely stick with TR as I like their overall concept and style a lot. However I must say that Brian’s points above (especially poor program design, too many intervals) seem to be correct for this specific plan. In the ideal world I wish Chad and the team could pay attention to this thread and make some changes. Or alternatively explain why my take is wrong.

Dimm

Everything x2

Burned out on oly bike program last season.

Made very good gains in sweet spot base and build with high volume during lockdown but this time moved on to v02 once a week, One sweet spot workout and one long ride, the rest easy. That’s doable to allow progression and enough energy for the run and swim side of things

Likewise love trainerroad but would
Like to hear from them as to what went on with designing the programs.

Not a sound from TR. I wonder why...
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [Dimm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dimm wrote:
Not a sound from TR. I wonder why...

They have their own forum (which I believe is higher trafficked than this ST). You’d be more likely to get a commentary on their plans there. Also, I can’t remember if it was last weeks podcast or the week before but they did talk a little bit about the reason for inclusion of VO2 in tri programs

In general I would echo Brian’s comments above that if someone struggles to make it through a plan then it probably isn’t the right plan for them. Maybe they grossly overestimated their ftp, maybe they are overreaching, or maybe a ‘canned’ plans don’t work well for them.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
FTP doesn't vary, PE does

This . . .

and I'm being honest could be a real possibility for you. Perhaps you've never done a bike focus, and haven't explored the limits of "pain" that are the norms of appropriately set zones. So if you did execute the FTP test appropriately . . .trust in TR. Very few of us can give you advise with real-life credibility. Listen to what all have to say and make your determination. As a previous professionally coached cyclist, and current elite level racer (p/cat 1), TR is on point. I've decided to use it exclusively for my bike training, and I've never been fitter/stronger.

That said, are you also executing the other 2 sports at prescribed levels . . . tracking total TSS, sleeping, eating on point? It may well be that the other sports and recovery efforts have you somewhat off-balance. Thats an equation only you can solve. If you cannot solve it, perhaps a "canned" plan isn't for you. In that case, you need a coach to check in with you daily and "think" for ya. All in all, TR is as is should be.
Last edited by: Michael Jones: Nov 22, 20 11:56
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [Michael Jones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Michael Jones wrote:
jaretj wrote:
FTP doesn't vary, PE does

This . . .

and I'm being honest could be a real possibility for you. Perhaps you've never done a bike focus, and haven't explored the limits of "pain" that are the norms of appropriately set zones. So if you did execute the FTP test appropriately . . .trust in TR. Very few of us can give you advise with real-life credibility. Listen to what all have to say and make your determination. As a previous professionally coached cyclist, and current elite level racer (p/cat 1), TR is on point. I've decided to use it exclusively for my bike training, and I've never been fitter/stronger.

That said, are you also executing the other 2 sports at prescribed levels . . . tracking total TSS, sleeping, eating on point? It may well be that the other sports and recovery efforts have you somewhat off-balance. Thats an equation only you can solve. If you cannot solve it, perhaps a "canned" plan isn't for you. In that case, you need a coach to check in with you daily and "think" for ya. All in all, TR is as is should be.

Don't know if you're talking to me or to the OP.

If it's me then:
If a person is capable of doing so much work outside and requires a certain level of work done at a specific intensity to improve, why would anyone think it would require less intensity and work for improvement while training inside?

So, I wrote that 20 months ago and yes, I've done bike focus in triathlon and mountain biking and right now track racing while still maintaining the other two. I have done it several times in the last 17 years.

Also, I do not and never have done one of TR plans. I have used their platform and decided it wasn't for me.

I have not made claims on this thread that their plan was good or bad so please direct your comments about how I need a coach to the correct person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah um I think theres a miscommunication somewhere... so... carry on with whatever has frustrated you and leave me out of it then...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael Jones wrote:
... carry on with whatever has frustrated you and leave me out of it then...

That's rich. You give unsolicited advice about "needing a coach" out of the blue, and you're asking *him* to leave you out of it. :)
Last edited by: trail: Nov 22, 20 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not frustrated, you brought up a 20 month old post and accused me of not doing something right with TR and needed a coach.

So don't blame your frustrations on me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaretj,

I see now, no not you . . . I quoted you because I LIKED what you said (hence the "THIS...."). I was trying to help the OP . . .Not you. So there was definitely a miscommunication.

Again . . . I liked what you said . . . FTP vs PE

MJ
Last edited by: Michael Jones: Nov 22, 20 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trail, read above post. . . I quoted Jaretj . . .because I liked what he said . . . I was SPEAKING to the OP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michael Jones wrote:
Trail, read above post. . . I quoted Jaretj . . .because I liked what he said . . . I was SPEAKING to the OP

Gotcha, no worries. My post was light-hearted, assuming it was an honest mistake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [omatari] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
omatari wrote:
OP here........... I had to sleep 9 hours a night and some afternoons but I made gains.

This fall I was excited to jump back in and see what progress I could make throughout the winter. I quickly dug myself into a deep pit of fatigue and got very sick despite trying to sleep those same 9 hours.

Wait, let me get this straight.

You dug yourself into a hole of fatigue and poor performance yet despite people telling you that maybe you should reduce your FTP, do less intervals, do more easy riding etc you jumped back into the exact thing and shockingly (ok not shocking at all) you got the same results?

I mean come on now. <- dumbfounded or is that sarcasm. Somedays I can't tell.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, a lot happens in a year. Trainerroad was really good for me for a bit. But ya, you're right, I push too hard most of the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Trainerroad intensity too darn high! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
omatari wrote:
OP here........... I had to sleep 9 hours a night and some afternoons but I made gains.

This fall I was excited to jump back in and see what progress I could make throughout the winter. I quickly dug myself into a deep pit of fatigue and got very sick despite trying to sleep those same 9 hours.

Wait, let me get this straight.

You dug yourself into a hole of fatigue and poor performance yet despite people telling you that maybe you should reduce your FTP, do less intervals, do more easy riding etc you jumped back into the exact thing and shockingly (ok not shocking at all) you got the same results?

I mean come on now. <- dumbfounded or is that sarcasm. Somedays I can't tell.

hahahaha, this is classic 2012 Slowtwitch.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply

Prev Next