Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Hx is 540
My Hy is 688
My major issue is saddle height. About 890 with speed play pedals.

Use is Ironman and 70.3s mostly.

Thanks,

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric

Currently on a 54 2013 P2

Arm pad width 26.4
Arm pad reach 448
Stack 682

Tri tig alpha one
40 spacers
6.5 mono post
15 degree
Vision ski bend extensions

Does this sound correct to you?


Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P2 with Alpha One is a clean setup.

If it were me I would have put you on a 56cm frame though.

Hard to say if these numbers are "correct" though without a video of you pedaling at race pace after you've warmed up.

Eric

MrTri123 wrote:
Hi Eric

Currently on a 54 2013 P2

Arm pad width 26.4
Arm pad reach 448
Stack 682

Tri tig alpha one
40 spacers
6.5 mono post
15 degree
Vision ski bend extensions

Does this sound correct to you?


Thank you.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
P2 with Alpha One is a clean setup.
If it were me I would have put you on a 56cm frame though.
Thank you.
[/quote]
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer
I think you are right I should be on a 56. Been riding 54 P Cervelos for 20 years. Maybe have been on the wrong size all these years

Maybe a winter project but a 56 Cervelo a d build it up

I have an narrow BB crank so would like to stay with older Cervelos. If you were me would you go for P4, P3 or P2?

I’ve read your threads about your two bikes and wind tunnel testing.
Last edited by: MrTri123: Sep 12, 19 17:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Hey everyone, Eric Reid here, FIST certified full-time bike fitter here in North Carolina.

I'd like to start this thread in conjunction with Cervelo to help prescribe the right bike for you. You may have noticed a couple of new offerings from Cervelo, not to mention three interoperable mono-risers to fit the two new bikes. This thread will help you select not only the right size frame but the right mono-riser and front end configuration including basebar configuration, riser type, riser height, pad width, pad tilt (or not) and extension shape. There's a lot going on here and you have a lot of options.

This thread is about *fit*. Your fit. I want you to be optimized... comfortable and powerful and ready to put down some fast bike splits based on a good position on the right size bike. What I won't be talking about is availability, customer service, comparative aerodynamics, the pros and cons of high hands and short cranks, or maintenance. There are other threads here on the forum for that, and you can also contact your LBS. For information on the new P5d, see HERE. For information on the new P3x, see HERE. And for information on the new mono-riser systems, see HERE. You can also reference the P5d and P3x threads on the forum as well.

Rules of Engagement for this thread is to post your Pad X and Pad Y (pad stack and reach), and if you know it, your Pad Z (pad width) as well as the bike that you're interested in. Remember, we're measuring to the *back* of the pads for these bikes. If you're not sure which bike, let's talk about what you're going to be using it for and go from there. If you're not sure about your fit coordinates, I'll walk you through it. If you're not sure your fit is a good one, I'll try to recommend you a competent fitter. Fit coordinates from a fitter will yield the best results in prescribing a new bike.

OK, so Pad X, Pad Y, and Pad Z to back of pads....

Let's begin.

Eric
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [DMVD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Eric,

Great that you are doing this. Currently on P2 with:
-Saddle height 830
-Pad stack 700
-Pad reach 500 (to the middle of pad)

Would like to consider P5d or the new P series. For P5d I'd be right at the max stack and reach for size 58, could it fit with the EX10 riser / aerobar? How much does it add to the stack and reach? Which size would you recommend in P series?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
P2 with Alpha One is a clean setup.
If it were me I would have put you on a 56cm frame though.
Thank you.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer
I think you are right I should be on a 56. Been riding 54 P Cervelos for 20 years. Maybe have been on the wrong size all these years

Maybe a winter project but a 56 Cervelo a d build it up

I have an narrow BB crank so would like to stay with older Cervelos. If you were me would you go for P4, P3 or P2?

I’ve read your threads about your two bikes and wind tunnel testing.[/quote]
I mean, I’m very partial to my P4, but I think the geometry of a P2 would be best for your position.

When building a mortal bike, I think it helps to think of building it from the bars back. These days, there are some good clean cockpit options like the TriRig Alpha One. Match a good cockpit to a Cervelo frame and you are cooking with gas. A good cockpit is one that adjusts fore and aft and width as you need it, but without using any spacers under the “stem”.

Any reason why you’re not interested in any of the newer P2/3 or P5d, P3x, or the new P-series bikes? Are your cranks that special?

eric

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [HM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi there,

the EX10 mono-riser really opens things up for the P5d with regard to pad stack and reach. It adds 30mm of stack and 15mm of reach fore and aft.

With a Pad Stack of 700 and a Pad Reach of 450 the 58cm P5d would accomodate you quite comfortably. I'd recommend a 58 in the P-Series as well.

Eric



HM wrote:
Hi Eric,

Great that you are doing this. Currently on P2 with:
-Saddle height 830
-Pad stack 700
-Pad reach 500 (to the middle of pad)

Would like to consider P5d or the new P series. For P5d I'd be right at the max stack and reach for size 58, could it fit with the EX10 riser / aerobar? How much does it add to the stack and reach? Which size would you recommend in P series?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really appreciate any help at all here

I was in to triathlons a few years ago (no sports background) and I had a bike fit done back in 2016, with the aim of getting a Boardman (medium) 9.4 tri bike at the time, but then life intervened, marriage, kid, dog, new job etc. and I simply stopped this aspect of my life (apart from the mandatory lurking here :))

I got a new job earlier in the year and I now get to cycle hours to/from work. I am getting back into triathlons, with a bit of competition from old and new friends that are like minded. Naturally they all have a tri bike and I dont, but I am competing with them using aero bars on my (Boardman, Team Carbon, Medium) Road bike.

My first love affair/dream with the Boardman tri bikes has cooled somewhat and noting that there are actually (more) shops in my country (Ireland, Hi) that actually sell Cervelo's, I have my heart set on a P2, if I can fit into it. We are all doing a Half IM august next year, and I want something to assist me [ other then the whole losing weight and training etc. ] in beating them. Yes, I did indicate that I was a tad competitive.

see attachment #1: Retul; attachment#2: Photo position; can I fit on to a P2?
Some additions:

I am 5"9. Furthermore, I have broad shoulders and the armrest (Cockpit?) position was simply putting my arms too close to each other, it felt really tight in the shoulders. The fitter acknowledged this at the time and said I was better off being comfortable and having them more spaced apart but this could cause problems based on the varied cockpits of tri bikes. He also said the reach was slightly long in my position ( I dont even know what this means ).

Cheers

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Sep 14, 19 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ferdia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 657 and a Pad Reach of 457 you're not really that long. In fact, if you were to just tilt your aerobars up in that picture you attached, you'd be very much like my clients based on my fit philosophy. And I hear you about pad width... I'd definitely put the pads out wide to get more comfortable. I also find that for broad shouldered people, putting the pads out wide actually helps them keep their shoulders narrower while in the aero position.

That said, when choosing the P2 you really need to think about choosing your aerobar first, and then work backwards. I mean, you're welcome to keep the bar that comes with it, but the P2 can be very fast with a few aero choices. A good aerobar and aero brakes will definitely help you be more competitive against your friends.

For the P2, I'd recommend a 56cm frame. From there, your cockpit would be in the mid-range of it's stack and a little back on the reach range. A 54cm would require way too many spacers to get you high enough and a 58cm would be too long.

Finally, based on your pic I can see you getting longer and lower in the future! I'd experiment with saddles and feeling the benefit of putting more weight on the front end when the bars go down.

Hope this helps,
Eric





ferdia wrote:
Really appreciate any help at all here

I was in to triathlons a few years ago (no sports background) and I had a bike fit done back in 2016, with the aim of getting a Boardman (medium) 9.4 tri bike at the time, but then life intervened, marriage, kid, dog, new job etc. and I simply stopped this aspect of my life (apart from the mandatory lurking here :))

I got a new job earlier in the year and I now get to cycle hours to/from work. I am getting back into triathlons, with a bit of competition from old and new friends that are like minded. Naturally they all have a tri bike and I dont, but I am competing with them using aero bars on my (Boardman, Team Carbon, Medium) Road bike.

My first love affair/dream with the Boardman tri bikes has cooled somewhat and noting that there are actually (more) shops in my country (Ireland, Hi) that actually sell Cervelo's, I have my heart set on a P2, if I can fit into it. We are all doing a Half IM august next year, and I want something to assist me [ other then the whole losing weight and training etc. ] in beating them. Yes, I did indicate that I was a tad competitive.

see attachment #1: Retul; attachment#2: Photo position; can I fit on to a P2?
Some additions:

I am 5"9. Furthermore, I have broad shoulders and the armrest (Cockpit?) position was simply putting my arms too close to each other, it felt really tight in the shoulders. The fitter acknowledged this at the time and said I was better off being comfortable and having them more spaced apart but this could cause problems based on the varied cockpits of tri bikes. He also said the reach was slightly long in my position ( I dont even know what this means ).

Cheers

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To paraphrase
ericMPro wrote:
hi, just gave you everything you needed


Yes, you did :)

Thank you very much

Cheers
Ferdi

I edit my posts, a lot.
Last edited by: ferdia: Sep 15, 19 3:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

The P3X are an intriguing bike, but a one trick pony..
If we look at the “one bike to rule them all” spectrum of things, would I be able to get an OK fit on a S5 with the rather sleek looking tri bars?
Or a S3?

In Reply To:
ericMPro wrote:
hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 726mm and a Pad Reach of 440mm you are on the upper left quadrant of a size XL P3x.

These numbers indicate to me that you are sort of upright, and could probably get longer and lower in the future. For example, I am also 190cm tall and have a Pad Stack of 625mm and a Pad Reach of 540mm. Now, I'm quite the outlier, so I'm not recommending you do what I do, but I could see someone of your size being in the 675mm stack and 480mm reach range quite easily.

If you were to get a P-series bike you could fit on a 58cm or a 61cm.

Does this make sense?

Eric


HalvorV wrote:
Recently sold my 58cm 2014 P3 cause I felt the need for electronic shifting and disc brakes.

What size PX-series or P-series to go for as an update?

190cm tall.. and details attached
Last edited by: HalvorV: Sep 15, 19 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [HalvorV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't think a road bike would be the best approach for racing triathlons... Gustaf Iden might disagree though ;) If the P3x is too "cargo" for you, then go with the P5d.

I guess it depends on your mechanical ability... could you swap road bars and Tri bars back and forth on an rim brake S5? That would be the most aero road bike to do that with. Let me check to see if Cervelo has an integrated clip-on like Specialized ITU athletes use.

Eric


HalvorV wrote:
Thanks!

The P3X are an intriguing bike, but a one trick pony..
If we look at the “one bike to rule them all” spectrum of things, would I be able to get an OK fit on a S5 with the rather sleek looking tri bars?
Or a S3?

In Reply To:
ericMPro wrote:
hi, thanks for reaching out.

With a Pad Stack of 726mm and a Pad Reach of 440mm you are on the upper left quadrant of a size XL P3x.

These numbers indicate to me that you are sort of upright, and could probably get longer and lower in the future. For example, I am also 190cm tall and have a Pad Stack of 625mm and a Pad Reach of 540mm. Now, I'm quite the outlier, so I'm not recommending you do what I do, but I could see someone of your size being in the 675mm stack and 480mm reach range quite easily.

If you were to get a P-series bike you could fit on a 58cm or a 61cm.

Does this make sense?

Eric


HalvorV wrote:
Recently sold my 58cm 2014 P3 cause I felt the need for electronic shifting and disc brakes.

What size PX-series or P-series to go for as an update?

190cm tall.. and details attached

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, they sure do...

Last edited by: HalvorV: Sep 15, 19 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric - I am a 60-64 year old age grouper coming back this year after a 5 year forced break because of ankle surgery (a very nice pick up truck ran me off the road) and cancer. If my ankle holds up and cancer does not return, thinking it is time to upgrade from my 2007 P3C and 2010 P4. Focus this year was on sprints and olympic distance (probably 10 races this year with one DNF for broken skewer). Next year focus will be Olympic and 70.3. I am a former All-American and 70.3 World Championship participant so would like to get back to those levels, if possible. To be honest, I am thrilled to be able to train and race cause at one point my triathlons days looked to be over. And that was a very dark place.

My P3C was fit October 2018 (Retul) and numbers are 638 - Stack, 390 - Reach, and 197 Pad width (center to center and maxed out, could be wider). Choices for me are P5, P5X or P3X. I have heard P5 is long and at 5'7" and 150 pounds this might not be for me (but not sure). Given my size not sure if P3X is better v. P5X given the weight difference. Also, thoughts on crank size and pedals (I ride Time as they have provided me good float for a reconstructed ACL in 1990).

Thank you very much for taking the time.....
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [DMVD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy crap. Congrats. I lost my mom to cancer so I know what an ordeal that can be. Stay vigilant. I also know what you mean about not being able to train.

With a Pad Stack of 638 and a Pad Reach of 398 you're sort of upright. You're not quite on the charts for a 48cm P5d (too high) or a 51cm P5d (too far back). As you can see I'm leaning toward the P5d for you.

Two options... one work on your position to get slightly longer and hit the reach minimum of a 51cm P5d (only 10mm more at 408mm at your stack) or two, add the EX10 mono-riser from the P3x to the P5d to expand the reach window and then again pick the 51cm P5d. Actually, there's a third and probably more correct option which is to do both... get the EX10 mono-riser to take advantage of the tilt and also lengthen your postion to get into a more orthodox position.

I wouldn't say the P5d is long... not in the same way the old P3C was long compared to the old P2C, or in the way the P4 is long. I think the P5d is in the center of the range. The mono-riser concept makes it very versitile from a Pad Stack perspective.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your comeback!

Eric



DMVD wrote:
Eric - I am a 60-64 year old age grouper coming back this year after a 5 year forced break because of ankle surgery (a very nice pick up truck ran me off the road) and cancer. If my ankle holds up and cancer does not return, thinking it is time to upgrade from my 2007 P3C and 2010 P4. Focus this year was on sprints and olympic distance (probably 10 races this year with one DNF for broken skewer). Next year focus will be Olympic and 70.3. I am a former All-American and 70.3 World Championship participant so would like to get back to those levels, if possible. To be honest, I am thrilled to be able to train and race cause at one point my triathlons days looked to be over. And that was a very dark place.

My P3C was fit October 2018 (Retul) and numbers are 638 - Stack, 390 - Reach, and 197 Pad width (center to center and maxed out, could be wider). Choices for me are P5, P5X or P3X. I have heard P5 is long and at 5'7" and 150 pounds this might not be for me (but not sure). Given my size not sure if P3X is better v. P5X given the weight difference. Also, thoughts on crank size and pedals (I ride Time as they have provided me good float for a reconstructed ACL in 1990).

Thank you very much for taking the time.....

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric - thank you for your kind words and extremely helpful. You are correct....my P3C position is a bit "cramped" and because of that I ride more upright. Plus, let's face it I am an old-timer and not as flexible as I used to be. OK, I was never very flexible. While the P4 has a longer reach (has a longer feel) both rides are 51. I am bringing the P4 to my main home in October (I spend summers at the lake) and will get that fit in October. I have a feeling if I had the P4 numbers now, the reach would fit your specs.

In conclusion, your first choice would be 51 P5d....just making sure. Any crank thoughts as I have been told 165 might be better for me. And, given my knowledge base....I have no clue.

Thanks again for taking the time....your time donation to some many folks on this forum is amazing nice.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [DMVD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For you I’d probably say 155mm cranks sight unseen. I use 165s, and I’m 6’2”

You don’t really need to be flexible for a good TT position, just have the right saddle and the proper crank length.

Eric

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric - again, thanks for all the thoughts really helpful and I feel like I am communicating with Yoda (all knowing). I spent some time on the Cervelo website so one last question.....Dura Ace or Ultegra? Some background....after dealing with distracted drivers, giant pick up mirrors, and crazed farm dogs, I have moved most of my bike training indoors (simple trainer, nothing fancy). Also, I would switch out the wheels for a set of 404s like I have on my P4 but those are not disc. Finally, goal is best bike cause it could be my last bike. Many thanks again for all your time, extremely generous.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [DMVD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think at this point Ultegra is excellent and only differs from Dura-Ace in weight. You could use the money you save to put towards the disc brake wheels.

DMVD wrote:
Eric - again, thanks for all the thoughts really helpful and I feel like I am communicating with Yoda (all knowing). I spent some time on the Cervelo website so one last question.....Dura Ace or Ultegra? Some background....after dealing with distracted drivers, giant pick up mirrors, and crazed farm dogs, I have moved most of my bike training indoors (simple trainer, nothing fancy). Also, I would switch out the wheels for a set of 404s like I have on my P4 but those are not disc. Finally, goal is best bike cause it could be my last bike. Many thanks again for all your time, extremely generous.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric -

Looking for mitigation strategies for when my P4 bites the dust. Not a real concern right now, but one never knows with an 8 (soon 9) year old bicycle. My strategy is to upgrade the P4 with components I can transplant to a new build. Some of the upgrade decisions may depend on what I want to get next; if the next one will be a P5d there is little point in investing in a new bar, for example.

My numbers, as per a Trek Precision Fit fit (done by somebody I trust) are stack 657, reach 471, to center pad. I'm 6' (and slowly shrinking :-), 167lbs.

Given those numbers, would you recommend a P5d or a P-Series?

As an aside: that P4 is a 54cm, and we couldn't get it short enough - ideal is 471, and I'm at 472 now. I doubt that that one millimetre makes the difference, but I do find myself doing a lightweight version of Contador's "typewriter" of yore: I slowly slide out of the saddle and then have to hike myself up again. With the lack of fore-aft adjustability of the Aura Pro I'm limited to shortening my stem even more (at 90mm now I think). But then I'm probably too short and have a bike that will handle pretty poorly.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Official FIT ASSISTANCE for Cervelo TT and Triathlon Bikes [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you'll love the benefit of a modern aerobar and the tilt function that they offer... for the P5d that would be using the P3x's EX10 mono-riser. For me on my P4 it's the TriRig Alpha One, and before that it was washers and bolts and skill with a Dremel tool.

With a Pad Stack of 657 and a Pad Reach of 422 to back of pad, you're a kind of in a gray zone... too high for a 51cm and on the very back of the range of a 54cm P5d, and slightly "unorthodox", ie. others are more generally a little longer and a little lower. That said, the 54cm P5d still fits, and with the EX10 mono-riser there's even more pad fore/aft and width adjustment available, as well as tilt.

Eric



Richard Blaine wrote:
Eric -

Looking for mitigation strategies for when my P4 bites the dust. Not a real concern right now, but one never knows with an 8 (soon 9) year old bicycle. My strategy is to upgrade the P4 with components I can transplant to a new build. Some of the upgrade decisions may depend on what I want to get next; if the next one will be a P5d there is little point in investing in a new bar, for example.

My numbers, as per a Trek Precision Fit fit (done by somebody I trust) are stack 657, reach 471, to center pad. I'm 6' (and slowly shrinking :-), 167lbs.

Given those numbers, would you recommend a P5d or a P-Series?

As an aside: that P4 is a 54cm, and we couldn't get it short enough - ideal is 471, and I'm at 472 now. I doubt that that one millimetre makes the difference, but I do find myself doing a lightweight version of Contador's "typewriter" of yore: I slowly slide out of the saddle and then have to hike myself up again. With the lack of fore-aft adjustability of the Aura Pro I'm limited to shortening my stem even more (at 90mm now I think). But then I'm probably too short and have a bike that will handle pretty poorly.

Eric Reid
AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Chapel Hill, NC
Aerodynamic Optimized Bike Fitting, Retul Pre-Purchase Bike Fitting, USAT Level 1 Triathlon Coaching, Nutrition
Ask me: Scody Optimized Speed Suits | CeramicSpeed Oversized Pulley Systems | HUUB Skinsuits and Wetsuits | Ventum Bicycles and Frames
Quote Reply

Prev Next