Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [s.gentz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$1,200?

I can buy 5 webers for that.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was skeptical of the price as well but took a leap of faith and couldn't be happier. This thing does it all from grilling to searing to smoking to baking dessert while we eat.
Would never go back to the kettle although it is a great grill in it's own rite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That does look pretty sweet.

Still don't think I'll be going for charcoal though. At least not for a main grill.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also have a little Joe which I have for camping. It's half the price and works great. I take mine camping.
I have also had the Weber Genesis gas grill with the ceramic coated cast top. I prefer this over the stainless as I feel it holds the heat better. As far as the side burner, i don't think I ever used it. I would prefer the space over the burner.
My current setup is the Blaze built in which is stainless with a very thick/heavy stainless top which works great. Holds heat very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vision Kamado's have a gas insert as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
You won’t use the side burner. Also you can get a Genesis with a side burner. Which you won’t use.

I have a Genesis. It’s awesome.

You can read all the old threads on people asking. You can do all the research you want. You'll still buy the Genesis.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you considered a pellet grill? Traeger’s can be bought for $1200. Lots of other options there as well. You can use for smoking at 200 degrees or grilling at 450. They heat up fairly quick vs charcoal and no gas/propane smell or flavor.
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't really looked in to them, no.

95% of the time, I'll just be grilling burgers, steaks, sausages, chicken, just the usual fare, which is why the ease of gas is appealing. Plus I already stubbed out a gas line under the deck during a previous renovation for a BBQ and heaters :-).

It would be nice to be able to mess around with smoking and whatnot on occasion though. I'll look in to the pellet option.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will need a standard 110v outlet nearby for the controller on pellet grills. So that might be a limiting factor for you.

As for the natural gas line I rerouted mine to run a permanent line to a fire table and not have to change propane tanks. I did have to get s different orrifice for the table to burn gas.
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got power under the deck too so no worries there.

I have a similar plan. I'm going to make a polished concrete patio table top with insert for a burner. I can't wait to finally relax out there this summer.

Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Get the Weber Genesis.

I have the smaller Spirit on my deck and use it year around several times a week.

I think that people tend to go too big when looking for a grill. We are a family of 6 and seldom use all the space in the Spirit, set alone the Genesis.

I feel the same about deck size, but that's another topic.
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
Duffy wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
What's wrong with grill marks?

Fine, whatever. Put grill marks on there if it makes you feel better.

Your reaction to them just intrigued me. I'm being serious, is there something wrong with them?

They are less than ideal, unless you like burned carbon flavor and increased cancer risk....

Also, the flavor is in the Maillard reaction and you want as much of the surface as possible to be that golden brown color.

Many “high end” (high end for low end people) restaurants actually put grill marks on steaks with a “steak marker” (basically a pen) so that dummies who like grill marks are the sign of well cooked steak will be visually satisfied.

Problem is that these fake grill marks don’t have the reall grill mark burned flavor so people associate grill marks with good taste.

Huh? A steak marker? Like with ink? Funny how I was in the restaurant business for 35 years and never once saw or heard of chefs drawing lines on steaks? Such bullshit

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Weber and it's much better than any of the other grills I've owned. Even in single digit temps it heats up to 600 degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
s.gentz wrote:
They also have a little Joe which I have for camping. It's half the price and works great. I take mine camping.
I have also had the Weber Genesis gas grill with the ceramic coated cast top. I prefer this over the stainless as I feel it holds the heat better. As far as the side burner, i don't think I ever used it. I would prefer the space over the burner.
My current setup is the Blaze built in which is stainless with a very thick/heavy stainless top which works great. Holds heat very well.

Chargriller makes an Akorn Jr which is a great little travel charcoal grill. It's not as heavy as the KJ or BGE ceramic versions.

I have a BGE and love it. I also have a Weber Genesis Silver that is 16 years old, and I just replaced the burners last week. It's the only part I've had to replace. It's a tank.
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
s.gentz wrote:

Chargriller makes an Akorn Jr which is a great little travel charcoal grill. It's not as heavy as the KJ or BGE ceramic versions.

I have a BGE and love it. I also have a Weber Genesis Silver that is 16 years old, and I just replaced the burners last week. It's the only part I've had to replace. It's a tank.

I thought of the chargriller for camping but i got a great deal on a little Joe demo that I couldn't pass up. The Genesis is a great grill. The only issue I had with it wat the burners ran from left to right which made it difficult to zone. Other than that it was great until a wind storm blew it off my patio and destroyed it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That must have been one hell of a windstorm!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it blew off my upper patio on to the lower part and cracked the cast top. Was planning an outdoor kitchen build anyway so never replaced it.
Quote Reply
Re: Grills: stainless vs cast iron [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply

Prev Next