Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Jet lag, or lost fitness
Quote | Reply
I took a 13-day vacation with my wife. We had a great time, but I missed 5 bike rides and 4 runs. I got in all the swimming in and then some since we went to Hawaii. I got back and started one of my planned bike workouts that I’ve done numerous times previously, but half through the workout I was really struggling, and my heartrate had maxed out. My max HR at my age is 158. This workout normally produces a HR of 140 or less. I quit the workout and did an easy run, which seemed to be okay.
Back on the bike two days later and I only made it a third of the way through a sweet spot workout and had to stop the workout. I finished the 1.5-hour ride but had to drop my power from 2.7 w/kg down to 2 w/kg to keep my heartrate in a normal zone.
I’m six time zones from Hawaii. Could jetlag cause this, or did I lose that much fitness by missing those workouts? Should I reduce my FTP and continue my scheduled workouts, or?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Reply
Re: Jet lag, or lost fitness [alfaholic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably both. Depends which way you came from as well. If you came from East (E.g.: London) then it’s pretty tough coming back and adjusting. I think the general rule is 0.5 day per time zone to adjust going east to west. 1-1.5 full days per time zone to adjust going west to east. I live in London and often go to CA for work. I can usually take on a lot of quality training in CA, but give myself an easy 1-1.5 weeks when I come back to London. Also, morning threshold workouts are terribly hard when I get back.

Given you didn’t do much running or biking, you gotta shake out the cobwebs and just get a routine back. Be consistent for 3 weeks, should be ok.
Quote Reply
Re: Jet lag, or lost fitness [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for the reply. I’m 6 hours east of Hawaii. I’ll stay consistent with the workouts and watch my HR. I’ll be far more diligent about getting in workouts, even when travelling. Fortunately my next race is only a sprint in late May.
Quote Reply
Re: Jet lag, or lost fitness [alfaholic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me after any kind of time off like this (where time off is at least a week), it takes me about 4-7 days to get back into the flow. That means that all workouts are at a lower intensity, and feel harder than they normally do. However, almost every time, I'm right back into the flow with the same fitness level within a week. Part of it is physical, and part of it is mental I believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Jet lag, or lost fitness [tri@thlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri@thlete wrote:
Probably both. Depends which way you came from as well. If you came from East (E.g.: London) then it’s pretty tough coming back and adjusting. I think the general rule is 0.5 day per time zone to adjust going east to west. 1-1.5 full days per time zone to adjust going west to east. I live in London and often go to CA for work. I can usually take on a lot of quality training in CA, but give myself an easy 1-1.5 weeks when I come back to London. Also, morning threshold workouts are terribly hard when I get back.

Given you didn’t do much running or biking, you gotta shake out the cobwebs and just get a routine back. Be consistent for 3 weeks, should be ok.

I travel from the UK to America (Eastern USA or Eastern Canada) so 5 or 6 hrs difference depending where exactly I've gone to), historically a few times each year. Every time I come back to the UK (usually after 4-6 days away, on business) I'm ALWAYS wrecked for 5 or 6 days. I have a rule of thumb that if I land in the UK on a Saturday, its the following Thurs before I feel 'back to normal'. Training restarts (other than some very easy stuff) on the Friday.

I'm only away a few days, try to get at least some workout in, so its not a loss of fitness over that short period. Its the jetlag + lost sleep (inc the overnight flight back to the UK) for me.
It sucks !
Quote Reply
Re: Jet lag, or lost fitness [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vacations are exhausting. You have to factor in travel, diet changes and no down time. You still did regular swim workouts. It all adds up. I agree that it will take a week or two to normalize. You do sound very OCD about your training (stress). You might want to cut yourself some slack and realize you were on vacation. A vacation is generally a break from everyday life...work, training, other commitments. It’s not like you were at a training camp.
Quote Reply
Re: Jet lag, or lost fitness [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for the responses. It's reassuring to know that this is somewhat normal. I was concerned that I wiped out months of hard work with a couple of weeks off. When you're 62 years old gains are hard won.
Quote Reply