Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question about Atlanta bud plant ride?
Quote | Reply
I’m new to Atlanta and know lots of people go to Cartersville for long rides? Is it also a good place to do brick workouts? Or is running there not great? I typically go to silver comet which is fine but although street crossings get a bit annoying. But the availability of bathrooms and water is great. Cartersville is a bit further of a drive for me. Is it nicer to ride out there compared to silver comet?
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Atlanta bud plant ride? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Much nicer ride than Silver Comet and a good place to do a Brick. Worth the trip
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto above. Bud plant and Silk Sheets are two areas for great rides with nice scenery and light traffic. Great brick run areas too. Silver Comet is perfect for race prep. The crossings mostly go away after mile 12, and then it is prime for continuous steady efforts in aero. I do 60 and 80 mile TT bike rides on Silver Comet in the weeks leading up a HIM. I do road bike rides on Silk Sheets and Cartersville.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both the Bud plant and silk sheets are great options. I liked silver comet but it would get busy and, to your point, the intersections are annoying. You could also get some riding in at stone mountain...more laps but some hills and would also be good for a brick. Good luck and enjoy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a triathlete so no running, but I see plenty running along Busch Drive following their ride. Atlanta Triathlon has a tent out there most Saturday's. Some of the triathlete clubs have moved over to Sosebee Bike Park that is just a few more mile drive compared to the Bud Plant.

Most triathletes seem to stick with the marked BBC routes (31, 42, 65). I use my own route and there are countless other route options. You can find a lot of these routes on my blog (thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com) and you are welcome to join me for a ride if you want to get familiar with the area. That is if you don't mind going slow. I am well out of shape at the moment. Or you can connect with me on Strava and download some of the routes to use solo.

I usually start at the Bud Plant since Sosebee has really picked up in popularity. It can get pretty crowded, but it is nice with port-o-potty, changing rooms, water faucet and other amenities. They take donations and I have donated the annual contribution even though I don't use it. They do a lot for the cycling community.

Is it nicer than the Comet?
IMO - yes. I use both. Bud Plant on Saturday and Comet on Sunday for an easier ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Atlanta bud plant ride? [amazingtoddo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
amazingtoddo wrote:
Both the Bud plant and silk sheets are great options. I liked silver comet but it would get busy and, to your point, the intersections are annoying. You could also get some riding in at stone mountain...more laps but some hills and would also be good for a brick. Good luck and enjoy!

Thanks. Silver comet i started parking at powder springs to avoid some of the busyness

I have done some loops at Stone Mountain.

I only did silk sheets once but may try again. But will need to check out bud plant ride
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Atlanta bud plant ride? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Ditto above. Bud plant and Silk Sheets are two areas for great rides with nice scenery and light traffic. Great brick run areas too. Silver Comet is perfect for race prep. The crossings mostly go away after mile 12, and then it is prime for continuous steady efforts in aero. I do 60 and 80 mile TT bike rides on Silver Comet in the weeks leading up a HIM. I do road bike rides on Silk Sheets and Cartersville.

Cool. I figured bud plant ride was good given how popular it is. I just don’t wasn’t sure how the road running was. Place I used to live had good rural road riding but zero shoulder so it sucked to run on as you’d have to jump in the weeds when cars came.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Atlanta bud plant ride? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I’ll check out your blog. I may bug your to meet for a ride if my training schedule allows it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Cool. I figured bud plant ride was good given how popular it is. I just don’t wasn’t sure how the road running was. Place I used to live had good rural road riding but zero shoulder so it sucked to run on as you’d have to jump in the weeds when cars came.

On Busch Drive it would be not too different than the Comet. From the Bud Plant down Busch Drive is about 1.8 Miles, fairly flat and has a wide shoulder that narrows in a couple spots. The road is plenty wide so most cars and trucks give those on the wide shoulder plenty of extra room. Cyclist will often go out into the road when encountering a runner. Maybe not a long distance, but most I have seen run out and back.

I have seen a couple running out at Sosebee Bike Park, but most adjoining roads do not have a shoulder. If it were me I would not run out there. Pretty good parking spot just cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Question about Atlanta bud plant ride? [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Yeah. Running out backs on a 1.8 mile route with a decent shoulder is fine.
Quote Reply