Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton)
Quote | Reply
Race announcer Steve Ling posted this a few days ago.

The City of Penticton is putting its last weekend in August on the market, looking for organizers of a “signature” triathlon event.
The municipality is seeking expressions of interest for a multi-sport or triathlon event starting in 2020, through to 2024.
MB Events has held the license to operate a triathlon in Penticton since 2014, a contract that runs up after this year’s 2019 Super League races.
“With a 30 year history of hosting Ironman races and a successful 2017 ITU Multisport World Championships in its hosting repertoire, the City of Penticton is a uniquely attractive and qualified place to host triathlon events,” the city’s request for expression of interest states.
The city says it is seeking a three-year contract with the option based on performance for two single-year renewals.
The newly elected Penticton city council has made attracting a world-class triathlon back to the city a priority.
What would bring YOU back to Penticton?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How far the mighty have fallen! Ironman isn't likely to come back as long as they can get a contract w Whistler. What signature event is left that they haven't already tried? "They chose poorly!"
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see dynamic events give it a go. I haven't done one of their events but have been meaning to after hearing good things. Local company that understands the deep history of penticton.
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, sorta local as they moved to Calgary last year, however their roots in the Okanagan are as deep as some of the vines on Black Sage Road. Joe Dixon was also the race director of Ironman Canada. Popcorn time?

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Penticton is screwed.

They could have capitalized on the last few years of 'peak-triathlon', but they chose not to. The golden era has now passed, and it doesn't matter what kind of race/event they bring back they won't see the numbers and economic impact they once had.

Not to mention the last few years BC has been blanketed in thick smoke for much of August, I can't really see anything taking off in the Penticton area.

It's too bad, as the original IMC course was awesome.

ETA: I'm pretty sure I still have a copy of triathlete magazine with Steve Larson on the cover, riding an original P3 aluminum in the Okanagan :-).

Long Chile was a silly place.
Last edited by: BCtriguy1: Mar 24, 19 8:05
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could have capitalized on the last few years of 'peak-triathlon', but they chose not to. The golden era has now passed, and it doesn't matter what kind of race/event they bring back they won't see the numbers and economic impact they once had.

With the benefit of hind-site, it would seem that IRONMAN's last year in Penticton(2012) lines up nicely when the peak was for triathlon generally in North America. A LOT has changed since then. The key change being a big swoon in participation numbers, and new people coming into triathlon, that again started about 2012.

Look, I'm about the most nostalgic fan of Penticton and the old IMC as their is - I had some of my most memorable and best days as an athlete racing there, it was the start of my Race/Event Announcing career, my wife had two of her best ever races as a Pro triathlete there etc . . . but that, whatever that was, is NOT coming back!

I'm sure some kind of triathlon will be put on - on that traditional 3rd weekend in August, but it will be a local event that draws from the OK Valley and perhaps a few from as far away as Vancouver and Calgary. If it get's more than 500 - 600 entries . . I would be pleasantly and genuinely surprised.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be nice to hear some of the locals chime in here. I'm pretty sure that they don't think they will bring back the Lisa Bentley/Peter Reid era race numbers but as ya said Fleck, a field of 500-800 ish would be pretty neat. They have a fairly successful summer fondo going on earlier in the summer, however, it's that last weekend in August that they are selling. It's unfortunate but not all that surprising that the Challenge brand could not make it worth their while to continue.

I wonder what the triathlon landscape will look like in 2025? Will the Penticton "brand" still be relevant? Will there still be 40 plus other Iron-options on the planet. Will athletes get sick of loop bike courses? Will forest fire smoke in August be the new normal? Will older athletes embrace a 3/150/30 distance option? Will dave return to Kona?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hold my beer.....

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jump in the ring Rhys, methinks you've got some skin in this game, or you ought to!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It'll really be too bad if there isn't something in Penticton... It's a great city and really can get behind an event... I never made it out there during the IMC years, but they did a great job with Multisport Worlds (hopefully they land that again soon)... By then I might have recovered from the beating I took riding up the Vancouver ave. hill...
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
It'll really be too bad if there isn't something in Penticton... It's a great city and really can get behind an event... I never made it out there during the IMC years, but they did a great job with Multisport Worlds (hopefully they land that again soon)... By then I might have recovered from the beating I took riding up the Vancouver ave. hill...

2020 and 2021 Multisport venues have already been announced. Bidding for the 2022 ITU Multisport WC is currently underway with submissions due NLT 15 Jun 2019. The begging from Penticton doesn't sound like they are interested in a one time deal that leaves them with nothing for the couple of years before. And if they sign a contract with someone for a "signature event" then they are locked out of future bidding as well.
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those aren't mutually exclusive... several of the venues bidding these days on Multisport worlds are moving to the festival approach (different layout, less weekday racing, more on the weekends) as a recurring race, and just one of those years hosting worlds... For sure they are hoping for something more of the Ironman variety, but barring that, it's something that could be considered... possibly partnering with someone other than MB events...

And yes, I am aware of Almere and Townsville being announced as 2020 and 2021... not sure that the application timelines for the 2022 line up with the call timelines for the "signature event", but might be a reasonable consolation prize...
Quote Reply
Re: More Canadian Stuff that is NOT about Sanders (Penticton) [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know of any venue in NA trying to emulate the Multisport Festival other than MiamiMan. But the two day festival is completely counter to the original goal of allowing people to participate in more than one event at a World Championship; and probably to increase hotel nights. Regardless, best of luck to Penticton in finding a "signature" event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be nice to hear some of the locals chime in here. I'm pretty sure that they don't think they will bring back the Lisa Bentley/Peter Reid era race numbers but as ya said Fleck, a field of 500-800 ish would be pretty neat. They have a fairly successful summer fondo going on earlier in the summer, however, it's that last weekend in August that they are selling. It's unfortunate but not all that surprising that the Challenge brand could not make it worth their while to continue.

I wonder what the triathlon landscape will look like in 2025? Will the Penticton "brand" still be relevant? Will there still be 40 plus other Iron-options on the planet. Will athletes get sick of loop bike courses? Will forest fire smoke in August be the new normal? Will older athletes embrace a 3/150/30 distance option?

1. The Good Old Days of IMC that you reference are NOT coming back.

2. I don't know what exactly went down with the decision making and who did what when, 7 years ago, but my sense is that the Gov't of the Day in Penticton thought that the Penticton brand was bigger than IRONMAN at the time. . with all due respect . . they were wrong!

3. It would actually be hard to even prove that now (#2), with a hypothetical move of IMC back to Penticton, because as I mentioned previously so much about the sport of triathlon is different now vs back to the pre-2012 years! You might get a nostalgia bump the first year, but then I'm guessing it would trail off after that!

4. Challenge? Wrong time. Challenge still has little following in North America - Europe, Yes. NA - No!

5. All this being said, it's hard to tell this when you are in it or at it, but IRONMAN FWIW - may be at a high water mark in North America right now - or perhaps peaked a year or so ago. Lets put it this way - their numbers are not growing strongly and they are VERY skewed right now to the 40+ Male Age-Groups. Fast forward 10 years to 2030? Where is IM at in North America?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And yes, I am aware of Almere and Townsville being announced as 2020 and 2021... not sure that the application timelines for the 2022 line up with the call timelines for the "signature event", but might be a reasonable consolation prize

———
June 19, 2019.

To put it on is about $350,000 licensing fees to ITU plus ITU expenses of hotels, cars, phones etc and $200,000 pro purse all in USD. Havent even put a fence up yet or closed a road. And ITU have capped race reg fees at around $350USD for the LC. its math that doesnt work now that the ITU has up’d its financial ask since proof of concept in Penticton

So no, not a consolation prize.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply