Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues?
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,
REI started their spring members sale today (20% off one full item). I also have $110 in dividends. That means I can get the Kicker Core for less than $650 (down from $900). But I’m afraid I’m getting a lemon considering people are still having problems with it (more here). And Wahoo has been really good about replacing broken unites.

I’m coming from a 3 year old Tacx Vortex Smart. It's an ok trainer, but I know a direct-drive is better, more accurate and soooo much quieter. I will probably be able to sell my Tacx for around $400 (don’t ask!), making the Kicker Core “investment” only $250. And I might get 5% "cash back" from using the REI Mastercard.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
G
Last edited by: gguerini: Mar 22, 19 12:38
Quote Reply
Re: Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get the core. In the same article you posted, it said the incidence rate was 3%. Cool.

Just figure out the visual difference between the new and old power supply and make sure you get the correct one when you buy.

BTW, I'd love to take the opportunity to sell my Vortex for $400...considering I originally bought it from a German reseller ~ 3.5 years ago for about exactly that.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues? [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zero issues w/ my Core. Highly recommend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Kicker Core since December and have had zero issues with it. It is phenomenal. As others have mentioned, the incidence rate of failures is low considering how many units are actually in use.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues? [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
Zero issues w/ my Core. Highly recommend it.

same
Quote Reply
Re: Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues? [cold turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had mine since the first of the year with zero issues. Fantastic trainer and unbelievably quiet.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues? [tedk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few 1000 miles on mine. Zero problems. Buddy had his replaced 3 times. Got Kickr upgrade, free mat, significant gift card. Wahoo took care of him very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues? [biker2035] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone! I pulled the trigger. Now I'll just hope I get a good unit. If I don't, I'm sure REI and Wahoo will take care of me. Fingers crossed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
Thanks everyone! I pulled the trigger. Now I'll just hope I get a good unit. If I don't, I'm sure REI and Wahoo will take care of me. Fingers crossed.

Hahah.. well, I'm back and it seems my Kickr Core is broken: Wahoo Kicker Core 2018 - Weird noise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
Hello everyone,
REI started their spring members sale today (20% off one full item). I also have $110 in dividends. That means I can get the Kicker Core for less than $650 (down from $900). But I’m afraid I’m getting a lemon considering people are still having problems with it (more here). And Wahoo has been really good about replacing broken unites.

I’m coming from a 3 year old Tacx Vortex Smart. It's an ok trainer, but I know a direct-drive is better, more accurate and soooo much quieter. I will probably be able to sell my Tacx for around $400 (don’t ask!), making the Kicker Core “investment” only $250. And I might get 5% "cash back" from using the REI Mastercard.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.
G

No. Do a Tacx Neo. Accurate and reliable.
Quote Reply
Re: Should I get the Wahoo Kicker CORE for a really good price even with all possible issues? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry turdburgler, but this is an old thread. I created it back in March. I end up buying the Kickr Core and to be honest, I've been very happy. The power numbers were on par with my Assioma Duo and it's extremely silent.

Too bad, it seems, they are not as reliable as the Tax Neo. I came back to report that my Core also had problems..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is good to hear. Good luck to you. We will do some battles in the future. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
gguerini wrote:

Hahah.. well, I'm back and it seems my Kickr Core is broken: Wahoo Kicker Core 2018 - Weird noise

Not sure I could call that broken. The fix is well known and easily remedied and the Core can be fixed without any new parts-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp9penpjYlg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MgromwkTOs
Quote Reply