Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

bottom bracket creaking... loctite didn't work
Quote | Reply
I have a trek emonda w/ their proprietary bb90 bottom bracket design. When I went out for my first outdoor ride this year, I noticed my bottom bracket slightly squeaking, then increasing to constantly squeaking with each pedal stroke, and then increasing again to a a creaking, even when seated and pedaling. I took the bottom bracket apart, cleaned everything, and applied Loctite 609 around the bearings as I've read is recommended. Repressed the bearings, let set, and am still having the squeaking/creaking issue.

Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: bottom bracket creaking... loctite didn't work [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you sure it is your BB? If could be a skewer, derailleur hanger, where your spokes cross, etc. I'd clean and lube those and their threads first. If you still think it your BB, then try WAKO'S Japan-Brake Protector V-160

You can find it on ebay.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Re: bottom bracket creaking... loctite didn't work [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the recco. It's definitely the BB because the loctite seemed to work for a little bit, and then it started making noises again.

That stuff looks like some black market sh*t... What makes it better than loctite?
Quote Reply
Re: bottom bracket creaking... loctite didn't work [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I dont know... but wakos is legit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:
Thanks for the recco. It's definitely the BB because the loctite seemed to work for a little bit, and then it started making noises again.

That stuff looks like some black market sh*t... What makes it better than loctite?

It works.

It's thick like toothpaste, but stickier than honey.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another potential option is to use threaded Bottom Brackets

This article explains these threaded bottom brackets well:

https://fitwerx.com/...m-bracket-solutions/

Edit: Realized you have BB90 so these solutions might not work for you...
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Mar 22, 19 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: bottom bracket creaking... loctite didn't work [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bloodyshogun wrote:
Another potential option is to use threaded Bottom Brackets

This article explains these threaded bottom brackets well:

https://fitwerx.com/...m-bracket-solutions/

Edit: Realized you have BB90 so these solutions might not work for you...

Yep, OP is screwed because I don't believe a threaded BB90 bracket exists. Only solution is to glue in new bearings.

OP, make sure you haven't damaged your frame by the bearing moving around. Treks are notorious for this. Maybe have the LBS do this for you if you don't have all the tools or don't feel like fussing with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:
I have a trek emonda w/ their proprietary bb90 bottom bracket design. When I went out for my first outdoor ride this year, I noticed my bottom bracket slightly squeaking, then increasing to constantly squeaking with each pedal stroke, and then increasing again to a a creaking, even when seated and pedaling. I took the bottom bracket apart, cleaned everything, and applied Loctite 609 around the bearings as I've read is recommended. Repressed the bearings, let set, and am still having the squeaking/creaking issue.

Any recommendations?

New bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This guy does a pretty good job in tracking down creaks.

Suffer Well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:

Any recommendations?

-Did you use the primer/activator with the Loctite 609? It won't cure in carbon w/o the activator. There is also the Loctite 641 medium strength retaining compound available that has slightly more gap filling ability than 609. See guide here, they've added a lot of new retaining compounds that I haven't heard about yet: http://dm.henkel-dam.com/...ainingDesignGuidepdf

-The loose BB90 bearings are a known issue with Trek. Trek has offered oversize bearings as one potential solution for this issue. Your LBS can get them or you can get the Enduro bearing version here: https://www.enduroforkseals.com/...x24/OSBB90HT2CS.html

-If retaining compound and oversize bearings don't fix the issue you can work with your Trek LBS to ship the frame back to Trek where they will repair the bearing seats in your frame. This can take a while:(

Hope this helps!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I greased my crank axle. Creak gone. Might work?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is why I'm SOOOOO pleased all my bikes have an English threaded BB shell 😎
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FastFor114.4 wrote:

I'm going to echo the statement about it possibly not being the bottom bracket, but maybe the bottom bracket shell? Carbon has a tendency to squeak for a while before it eventually breaks. I would take it to a shop to have them look at the BB and the shell.
Quote Reply
Re: bottom bracket creaking... loctite didn't work [jhammond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My older tri bike had an annoying creak, seamingly from the bottom bracket area when pushing power, going up a climb, etc. Between myself and my LBS we spent hours trying to solve it. Eventually determined the noise wasn't from the bottom bracket (although you'd swear it was). Turned out to be the seat post (carbon seatpost in a carbon frame). Pulled it out, cleaned post and inside of frame and applied some carbon paste. No more noise.
Quote Reply
Re: bottom bracket creaking... loctite didn't work [IM_Rick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM_Rick wrote:
My older tri bike had an annoying creak, seamingly from the bottom bracket area when pushing power, going up a climb, etc. Between myself and my LBS we spent hours trying to solve it. Eventually determined the noise wasn't from the bottom bracket (although you'd swear it was). Turned out to be the seat post (carbon seatpost in a carbon frame). Pulled it out, cleaned post and inside of frame and applied some carbon paste. No more noise.

May check this on my SC seat post which also uses the BB90 bearings and is a creaker... I've used the green lock-tite on my BB bearings, greased the QRs, tightened bolts here and there... still have creaks.

I've thought about buying from these guys next time... their bearing kit contains a green lock-tite I believe as well.
https://www.bbinfinite.com/...90-problems-solved-1

Historically I buy my bearing from Wheels Manufacturing... I use the Angular bearings.

https://wheelsmfg.com/...ts/trek-bb90-95.html
Last edited by: xeon: Mar 26, 19 4:17
Quote Reply