Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Short term anxiety meds?
Quote | Reply
I need a bit of short term help managing crazy stress / anxiety. I’m going to ask my doctor for medication but am not really sure what the options are. I won’t be seeing my doctor but his locum, who can be a bit abrupt and dismissive so I’m hoping to go in with an idea of what to ask for. I’ve never taken anything for depression or anxiety so this is all new. I’m hoping folks here can help.

I just need something to help me survive while I get my balance back. I don’t see this as a long term thing, but who knows. I’m wondering what experience folks here have had with stress and medication and what you recommend.

I suffered a concussion almost two months ago and am still recovering, I’m not sure if that affects what I can take.

In terms of self-care I’m sleeping well, meditating, I’ve cut down on caffeine, cut out alcohol - I’m trying to do all the right things.

Due to the concussion I’m not supposed to let my heart rate go over 98 right now, which means I’m very limited in what I can do for exercise. It also means stress quickly puts me over the threshold my brain can tolerate.

Any suggestions of what worked for you, or what you’d suggest?

tl:dr - need medication to handle stress, what do you suggest?
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [Alibabwa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It depends. Really--everyone is different.

Speaking personally, with a very high ADHD factor, small doses of Xanax & an occasional Adderall make me "normal". But anxiety is weird--exercise, especially endurance, can curb the anxiety in a big way.

Speaking from personal experience, your usual ENR doc isn't going to be able to deal with what really works. You are going to need to figure it out for yourself b/c there isn't a magic bullet that works for everyone. Try a couple of different docs (especially those in the alt-med space (who actually can prescribe psycho-therapy drugs (some can't)). Try something for a few days...at most 10. If it doesn't work out of the gate (1-4 days in), then stop & try something else. Everyone is VERY different---and also once you find what works for you, make sure you get the exact script (last refill I had for Alprozalam was from a different supplier (orange vs the yellow pill).....and it might as well have been baby aspirin.

Killing alcohol, and having personal "quiet time" (whether that be a long walk/run/ride/away from kids/work) gets you most of the way there. Concussions--especially if you are older--take a long time to fully recover, but anxiety -- especially from stress, isn't necessarrily linked to the concussion. Try a few different mixes, in small doses---you'll eventually find what works for you.

A few other board members can offer advise on depression....I'm not a Dr. so please take the above advice as someone who has gone down the same 40 lane highway as you and figured out which exit to get off at.

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." John Rogers
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes sense it would take a bit of experimentation to find the right thing. Hopefully not too much!

I have just started seeing a therapist. She can’t prescribe anything but should be able to make a recommendation. Even then I still find it very valuable to know people’s experiences. Thank you for sharing.
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [mopdahl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mopdahl wrote:
It depends. Really--everyone is different.

Speaking personally, with a very high ADHD factor, small doses of Xanax & an occasional Adderall make me "normal". But anxiety is weird--exercise, especially endurance, can curb the anxiety in a big way.

Speaking from personal experience, your usual ENR doc isn't going to be able to deal with what really works. You are going to need to figure it out for yourself b/c there isn't a magic bullet that works for everyone. Try a couple of different docs (especially those in the alt-med space (who actually can prescribe psycho-therapy drugs (some can't)). Try something for a few days...at most 10. If it doesn't work out of the gate (1-4 days in), then stop & try something else. Everyone is VERY different---and also once you find what works for you, make sure you get the exact script (last refill I had for Alprozalam was from a different supplier (orange vs the yellow pill).....and it might as well have been baby aspirin.

Killing alcohol, and having personal "quiet time" (whether that be a long walk/run/ride/away from kids/work) gets you most of the way there. Concussions--especially if you are older--take a long time to fully recover, but anxiety -- especially from stress, isn't necessarrily linked to the concussion. Try a few different mixes, in small doses---you'll eventually find what works for you.

A few other board members can offer advise on depression....I'm not a Dr. so please take the above advice as someone who has gone down the same 40 lane highway as you and figured out which exit to get off at.

I totally disagree with this statement. Some meds take a good 2 to 3 weeks to work, so if you stop them to early, you won't know if you would have gotten relief.

Xanax is a fast acting anxiety med, but it is not being prescribed that much anymore due to abuse.
Klonopin is another anxiety med. Both are benzodiazepines and work in the same manner. They tend to "chill" you out.

I was on Xanax for a long time, but my therapist switched me to Klonopin. Same shit.

Before you go the medication route, I would highly suggest the therapy route. There are a ton of ways to beat anxiety that do not include taking drugs. I would suggest a psychologist at first. I can tell you from experience the first one you meet might not be the right fit. You have to be comfortable talking to the person and that doesn't generally happen with the first person you see.

Good luck

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think of anxiety as basically the fear center in your brain is overactivated and so most any depressant can improve it temporarily (Benzos, opiates, marijuana (for some), alcohol, antihistamines). The difficulty is often when the drug wears off you get a rebound effect and it's even more activated than before. Not to mention many of those drugs are addictive.

I think this is why SSRIs is thought to be the way to go for more long term issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and given a script for Effexor. I never took it because I was horrified to learn it had a black box warning and my shrink never mentioned it.

I found writing in a journal to be a very effective way to deal with my anxiety. I don’t ever read it. I use it as way to get out all the “crazy” and sort through my thoughts so I can try to get through tough times with a clearer mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) you have a head injury
2) you have sudden onset "head" issues
3) you're going to see what sounds like a general practitioner's PA
4) your therapist can't write for drugs

My suggestion go to a psychiatrist and a neurologist. Get the proper people handling your care. If you need drugs great, but you might not. Having a GP manage psych issues is like asking a psychiatrist manage your high blood pressure.

If you ever get really worked up and can't get a hold of anyone come here. There's always someone around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Asking the LR instead of a doctor about meds illustrates the severity of your concussion :-)

Ciproloax (Escitalopram) is most likely the SSRI you'll end up with (start with 10mg/day and work up to 20-30mg).

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Short term anxiety meds are exactly that. Designed to be used for 1-2 weeks max. Almost all of them are difficult to get off of after that if not downright addictive. Okay to manage an acute situation like death in the family etc.

The longer term anxiety meds (Effexor, Celexa, Zoloft) generally take a few weeks to start working well.

Counselling can be very helpful if one has the time and coverage/money for it. If you don't "moodgym" an Australion online cbt site is a good alternative. I recently went to a depression/anxiety update and the psychiatrist speaker recommended it.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was an article in our local paper a few years ago that I can’t find that talked about how the quick stop of endurance exercise when you get injured should be treated as both a physical and psychological injury. So many athletes get in a good balance but when they have to stop cold turkey it’s really hard on them physically and mentally. It made a ton of sense.

I agree with the posters who say you should get qualified medical advice from someone with training specific to head injury recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
I was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and given a script for Effexor. I never took it because I was horrified to learn it had a black box warning and my shrink never mentioned it.

I found writing in a journal to be a very effective way to deal with my anxiety. I don’t ever read it. I use it as way to get out all the “crazy” and sort through my thoughts so I can try to get through tough times with a clearer mind.

What's a "black box warning"?

I've been on Effexor (venlafaxine) twice in my adult life. It worked well for me and I've been very happy with it. BUT - it's all so dependant on multiple factors that I would never recommend my solution for someone else.
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A black box warning is the most serious warning of side effects required by the FDA. In the case of Effexor, it’s the risk of suicide.
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the responses, this is very helpful.

For concussion treatment I’m working with my physio, who is in a facility that does a lot of concussion work. I’ve done the Buffalo test to find my HR threshold. I am seeing a therapist but just for general anxiety. She doesn’t deal with concussion and I don’t believe she can prescribe medication. I might reach out to my physio to see if he can refer me to a psychiatrist.

My desire for a quick solution is because my parents are both in a bad way and I need to be functional for them. My mum was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer. It is treatable but she will need support through surgery and chemo. She is the full time care giver for my father, who went into hospital with a UTI and now is being kept in because Mum is unable to care for him due to the cancer. And just for extra fun my land lady has announced she is going to start using her treadmill again (she lives above me, it is insanely loud) and if I don’t like it I can move. I need to be functional now! I know that’s an unreasonable expectation though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alibabwa wrote:

For concussion treatment I’m working with my physio, who is in a facility that does a lot of concussion work. I’ve done the Buffalo test to find my HR threshold. I am seeing a therapist but just for general anxiety. She doesn’t deal with concussion and I don’t believe she can prescribe medication. I might reach out to my physio to see if he can refer me to a psychiatrist.

My desire for a quick solution is because my parents are both in a bad way and I need to be functional for them. My mum was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer. It is treatable but she will need support through surgery and chemo. She is the full time care giver for my father, who went into hospital with a UTI and now is being kept in because Mum is unable to care for him due to the cancer. And just for extra fun my land lady has announced she is going to start using her treadmill again (she lives above me, it is insanely loud) and if I don’t like it I can move. I need to be functional now! I know that’s an unreasonable expectation though.

No, it's not. Their are many medications out there that can help you through this, be it long term or short term. See a psychiatrist and get the help you need.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
Short term anxiety meds are exactly that. Designed to be used for 1-2 weeks max. Almost all of them are difficult to get off of after that if not downright addictive. Okay to manage an acute situation like death in the family etc.

Yeah I was on them for a couple of weeks and when I went to get off of them it was not pleasant. Aches and pains, basically flu like symptoms and jaw clenching, urge to just contract my muscles hard. If anything just ramped up the anxiety getting off them.

The doctor was a bit incredulous that the amount I was taking for the short duration I took them could cause that sort of withdrawal symptoms.

I would be very hesitant to take again other than as a one off for a medical procedure or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
slink wrote:

I've been on Effexor (venlafaxine) twice in my adult life. It worked well for me and I've been very happy with it. BUT - it's all so dependant on multiple factors that I would never recommend my solution for someone else.

Don't answer if you don't want but did you have the very common loss of libido even impotency side effect that is common with these sorts of drugs?
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
edbikebabe wrote:
slink wrote:

Don't answer if you don't want but did you have the very common loss of libido even impotency side effect that is common with these sorts of drugs?

I'm female. If anything, not being depressed increased my libido. I'd say I stayed fairly "middle of the road" in terms of my desire.
Quote Reply
Re: Short term anxiety meds? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:

No, it's not. Their are many medications out there that can help you through this, be it long term or short term. See a psychiatrist and get the help you need.

Thank you! I appreciate this and all your advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Long walks in a park. Spring is near bloom. Pipe in some soothing music.
Quote Reply