Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Some key findings from the update include:
  • Forty-seven states and the District of Columbia address civic education in state statute.
  • Every state requires students to complete coursework in civics or social studies in order to graduate. The amount of coursework varies by state.
  • Thirty-seven states require students to demonstrate proficiency through assessment in civics or social studies.
  • Seventeen states include civic learning in their accountability frameworks.
  • Every state includes civic learning or social studies in its standards or curriculum. Twenty states provide curriculum support and forty-eight states include civic learning as a strand in their standards.

None of this means we're actually teaching civics. Social studies is, in many cases, not civics.

Quote:
We need to stop thinking that schools are not teaching information to kids just because the kids can't demonstrate it later as adults.

We need to stop ignoring the fact that our schools have changed significantly over the past 20, 30, 40 years. Civics, vocational studies, physical education, music, etc have all taken on lesser roles during that time in favor of higher priorities; foreign language and computer science for example.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
We stopped teaching civics in schools.
---

Pretty bold statement without any hint of truth you got there.
https://www.ecs.org/...-education-policies/

Quote:
Some key findings from the update include:
  • Forty-seven states and the District of Columbia address civic education in state statute.
  • Every state requires students to complete coursework in civics or social studies in order to graduate. The amount of coursework varies by state.
  • Thirty-seven states require students to demonstrate proficiency through assessment in civics or social studies.
  • Seventeen states include civic learning in their accountability frameworks.
  • Every state includes civic learning or social studies in its standards or curriculum. Twenty states provide curriculum support and forty-eight states include civic learning as a strand in their standards.

I know from first hand experience, and so do you, that just because you teach something doesn't mean that the kids care to learn it. And how many concepts have you learned in school and almost immediately filed into your brain's trash bin? Or filed a week later, after the exam? We need to stop thinking that schools are not teaching information to kids just because the kids can't demonstrate it later as adults.

not to mention what liberal take will be given by the teacher giving it
Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Unbelievable, but, shouldn't be surprising. Perhaps we should think about teaching this stuff ....

NEW YORK — Nearly 6 in 10 Americans believe the First Amendment is under threat, according to a new survey, yet a large portion of respondents couldn’t correctly name what the amendment protects.
Of the 2,000 adults who took part in the poll, half thought that “liberty” is one of the five freedoms protected by the First Amendment, while nearly half (49 percent) believed “the pursuit of happiness” was included. Thankfully, only 3 percent named “life” as one of the protected freedoms.
What’s more, barely more than a quarter (26 percent) of participants knew how many amendments even comprise the Bill of Rights. In fact, 1 in 5 people wasn’t even familiarwith the Bill of Rights when asked.
Despite the struggle with what should be common American knowledge, the survey — commissioned by the Samuel Hubbard Shoe Company — revealed that 57 percent of respondents feel the First Amendment is at risk in the nation’s current climate. Many people point to bias in the media and the rise of fake news as main reasons for their concern. One in seven admit they have trouble telling the difference between real and fake news, while 31 percent agree the mainstream media struggles to report the news of the day without inserting bias within their coverage.

https://www.studyfinds.org/...endment-protections/

So you're sayin' a lot of 'Muricans are stupid? Shame on you. That's not very patriotic.

Last edited by: cerveloguy: Mar 22, 19 18:26
Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:

So you're sayin' a shit load of 'Muricans are stupid? Shame on you. That's not very patriotic.

Meh. 90% of them belong to Team Donkey, so, they aren't really 'Muricans anyway. They are, basically, lost Canadians.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

So you're sayin' a shit load of 'Muricans are stupid? Shame on you. That's not very patriotic.

Meh. 90% of them belong to Team Donkey, so, they aren't really 'Muricans anyway. They are, basically, lost Canadians.

Can't remember when I last saw one of them there reb flags up in Canada. Or with the Dems.
Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
JSA wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

Can't remember when I last saw one of them there reb flags up in Canada. Or with the Dems.

They aren't up in Canada. They are lost down here. Stupid Donkeys.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boring
Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
My Jiu jitsu instructor just got naturalized as an American citizen (he’s from Brazil).

He could answer these questions no problem.

So can I. So can my son.

Neat-o!
Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
Duffy wrote:
My Jiu jitsu instructor just got naturalized as an American citizen (he’s from Brazil).

He could answer these questions no problem.

So can I. So can my son.

Neat-o!

Better than 80% of the respondents to the survey.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The trouble is people don't watch enough tv.

I'm just a bill yes I'm only a bill and I'm sitting here on Capital Hill.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: This is why ya'll think you have Rights that you do not have. [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
torrey wrote:
First off, why is a shoe company sponsoring a poll on the Bill of Rights?

Second, I am convinced that 50% of Americans love to troll pollsters. Nothing else can explain the commonly stupid responses, like more than 50% of people couldn't find either New York State or Iraq on a map.

Never underestimate the power and pervasence of stupidity.
Quote Reply

Prev Next