Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER!
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is actually 4 events: Swim, Bike, Run, and Transitions! One way to shave seconds off your time in between bike and run is to shorten the time it takes to put on your run shoes. Either get yourself elastic laces or use cord locks with your current laces. Here is how:
https://www.desotosport.com/...your-shoes-on-faster

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or is triathlon actually five events? Swim, Bike, Run, Transitions and Laundry. (pink)

Nice post! I figure speed laces saves you about 20 seconds and they don't seem to bug me at all compared to normal laces.

YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great tip, I'll use the faster lace idea on my next IM.
That 20 seconds saving should reduce my T2 time from 14 minutes to 13:40 :0)
(mind you they won't have warmup tents in Kona, so maybe a little quicker anyway)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually ended up with a stress fracture in my foot due to the elastic laces (too tight) 5 days before a half, so I will stick with traditional laces.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [Fhirleighinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fhirleighinn wrote:
I actually ended up with a stress fracture in my foot due to the elastic laces (too tight) 5 days before a half, so I will stick with traditional laces.

That just means you had them way too tight. I use elastic laces on my training shoes as well as my racing shoes. Once you set them appropriately, they never need to be adjusted.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [Fhirleighinn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can still use the cord lock on standard laces as per the article.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Over the years I've found elastic laces to be completely unnecessary to begin with. I've gotten to where my shoes are tied loose enough that I can slip them on and off just fine with regular laces.
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Fhirleighinn wrote:

That just means you had them way too tight. I use elastic laces on my training shoes as well as my racing shoes. Once you set them appropriately, they never need to be adjusted.

+1

I discovered elastics when I was just a runner because I thought "I'm a lazy shit who can't be bothered to tie laces for every run" and so for the last 5 years, every pair of running shoes I buy is paired with elastics.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:
Great tip, I'll use the faster lace idea on my next IM.
That 20 seconds saving should reduce my T2 time from 14 minutes to 13:40 :0)
(mind you they won't have warmup tents in Kona, so maybe a little quicker anyway)

How do you get into Kona with 14 minute transitions?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AND it's time to get your wetsuit out of the mothballs and soak it in water before using this season, right Emilio? :)
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you get into Kona with 14 minute transitions?

Well two things...

First, be very old. Some in my age group had a nap as well.
Two, do it in Louisville, in October, at 7c air temp, steady rain and a slight wind after waiting 1 1/2 hours, on the dock, while they sorted out the swim.
(800+ didn't finish, about 500 quit on the bike) So sometimes it's better to pick the hard ones. Otherwise I would have been a speedy 10 minutes :0)
Next time Wales !!!!
Last edited by: michael Hatch: Mar 21, 19 11:08
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
AND it's time to get your wetsuit out of the mothballs and soak it in water before using this season, right Emilio? :)

YOU ARE CORRECT!

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: A TIP FROM EMILIO: GET YOUR SHOES ON FASTER! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Over the years I've found elastic laces to be completely unnecessary to begin with. I've gotten to where my shoes are tied loose enough that I can slip them on and off just fine with regular laces.

I had the fortune (or misfortune?) to be born with deformed feet. They're very wide, but have no real structure and just take the shape of whatever I'm wearing. So I can tie my shoes nice and snug, and still quickly slip them on and off. I generally tie my shoes once the first time I put them on, and from then on they're slip-ons. I still use elastic laces for my race shoes because they're just slightly faster to get on...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply