Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course??
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of any online reviews or previews of the Oceanside 70.3 Bike Course on/in Camp Pendelton?

If anyone wants to chime in here, with some info, I would welcome that.

Thank you.

My wife has a couple of clients she coaches traveling to the race and going in blind.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Mar 20, 19 10:40
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a couple on YouTube.

Also, if they get a base pass (takes about 15 minutes), your wife's clients can preride a fairly significant section of the course If they arrive early... oside to the cristianitos gate at least.

Expect wind, and a few climbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

Also, if they get a base pass (takes about 15 minutes), your wife's clients can preride a fairly significant section of the course If they arrive early... oside to the cristianitos gate at least.

You can't access the base during race week, so that's a no-go. And either way, the interesting parts are not accessible anyways.

I'll try and do the best I can:

Mile 1-28

The first 28 miles of the ride are uneventful. It's a fast section, and it's recommended to hold back a bit during this section, for what's coming.

Climb #1 (mile 28.3)

The first climb starts at 28.3 miles, it's about 0.5 miles long, but it's steep. STEEP AF. 0.32 miles of that climb (4-5 minutes) are at an average of 17%.

After that short but punchy climb you get about 3 minutes to recover, it's a downhill of about 1.3 miles and then it starts again...

Climb #2 (mile 31.35)

This is a false-flat'ish that is about 6 miles in length, and ends with a kicker of 0.33 miles @ 9%. I think this where a lot of people, or at least I did, have issues later in the race, the first climb is pretty steep and I had to go waaaay above threshold just to get over it, and you don't get to recover enough before you are pushing again at 85% for 15-20 minutes.

After that climb, and before the third and last climb there is a section that has a speed limit and is a no-passing zones. Tell he athletes they need to really respect this, or they'll get DQ'ed.

Climb #3 (mile 39.3)

It's 0.8 miles long, but 0.56 miles of it have a grade of 8%, so not too bad, but by the time you got here you are going to feel it.

The rest

There's some nice descending after that, pretty fast section until you make the right turn at mile 45 and start heading south-west. The last 11 miles usually have a strong headwind, legs are tired and you have to ride into the freaking wind for 40 minutes.

Some videos for you to review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roqOp8nN218

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-VJ2SmoL4A
Last edited by: TulkasTri: Mar 20, 19 14:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
probably don't realize but Fleck and his wife are Canadian, and if their clients are none of them are eligible to get the bike pass, US citizens only. https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/...reational-Bicycling/

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

You can't access the base during race week, so that's a no-go. And either way, the interesting parts are not accessible anyways.

Mile 1-28

The first 28 miles of the ride are uneventful. It's a fast section, and it's recommended to hold back a bit during this section, for what's coming.

Climb #1 (mile 28.3)

The first climb starts at 28.3 miles, it's about 0.5 miles long, but it's steep. STEEP AF. 0.32 miles of that climb (4-5 minutes) are at an average of 17%.

After that short but punchy climb you get about 3 minutes to recover, it's a downhill of about 1.3 miles and then it starts again...

Climb #2 (mile 31.35)

This is a false-flat'ish that is about 6 miles in length, and ends with a kicker of 0.33 miles @ 9%. I think this where a lot of people, or at least I did, have issues later in the race, the first climb is pretty steep and I had to go waaaay above threshold just to get over it, and you don't get to recover enough before you are pushing again at 85% for 15-20 minutes.

After that climb, and before the third and last climb there is a section that has a speed limit and is a no-passing zones. Tell he athletes they need to really respect this, or they'll get DQ'ed.

Climb #3 (mile 39.3)

It's 0.8 miles long, but 0.56 miles of it have a grade of 8%, so not too bad, but by the time you got here you are going to feel it.

The rest

There's some nice descending after that, pretty fast section until you make the right turn at mile 45 and start heading south-west. The last 11 miles usually have a strong headwind, legs are tired and you have to ride into the freaking wind for 40 minutes.

Pretty much spot on. I would add that the first 28 miles are easier than the last 28 miles (where all the climbing is) but the first 28 still has a few short punchy climbs that will come back and haunt you.

the WORST part is the bottom of climb one to climb 2, It's a frustrating false flat and feel you should be going faster.

ability to be in aero mile 45 on will put you above most or many out there from experience, By the headwind section there are always a surprisingly large number of folks up on their pads.

Last, heed the no pass zones. There are three, one near the beginning as you veer left off Vandegrift to go behind the commissary, second at trestles bike path which is a short fairly steep uphill (making the no pass section potentially more frustrating depending on who is around you), and the third between climb 2 and 3 which is a timed speed trap and for which you will be automatically DQ'd if you pass the two mats in less than whatever 25 mph is.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the comment about the section between climb 1 and 2. I think knowing beforehand that the section is a false flat is a huge advantage, because you now know that it’s supposed to feel hard and you will go slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also worth mentioning that there are a few sections where the asphalt isn't in the best condition. I think mainly during the first half (still heading north) on the trail and a few other roads.

Quote | Reply
Speed Zone at mile 38. If you go above 25mph for that small downhill you WILL BE DQd but only after you finish.

Last year it was very poorly marked. I am going to ask in the preface mtg about what they have previously had (Volunteers with bullhorns, large speed radar signs,ect) None Of thatwas present last year.

As others have stated you feel like a superhero up until mile 26. Then the race starts
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

Mile 1-28

Climb #1 (mile 28.3)

Climb #2 (mile 31.35)

Climb #3 (mile 39.3)

The rest

New rule? Last year I rode it on Tuesday of race week to check road conditions. Saw probably 50 other bikers on my way up to san-o
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
probably don't realize but Fleck and his wife are Canadian, and if their clients are none of them are eligible to get the bike pass, US citizens only. https://www.pendleton.marines.mil/...reational-Bicycling/

This makes more sense to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, and something helpful I can add: be careful when you get routed BEHIND the mini mall near the entrance as the road sucks there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

Mile 1-28

Climb #1 (mile 28.3)

Climb #2 (mile 31.35)

Climb #3 (mile 39.3)

The rest

New rule? Last year I rode it on Tuesday of race week to check road conditions. Saw probably 50 other bikers on my way up to san-o

I’m not entirely sure that’s right. I’ve seen non racers on race day on the frontside.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Speed Zone at mile 38. If you go above 25mph for that small downhill you WILL BE DQd but only after you finish.

Last year it was very poorly marked. I am going to ask in the preface mtg about what they have previously had (Volunteers with bullhorns, large speed radar signs,ect) None Of thatwas present last year.

As others have stated you feel like a superhero up until mile 26. Then the race starts

This will be my 7th ish Oceanside, 3d or 4th with the actual timing mats, but didn’t race 2018. They didn’t used to have that speed trap but the years I’ve done it it’s been very obvious. But I was also aware of it so knew what to look for
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Oh, and something helpful I can add: be careful when you get routed BEHIND the mini mall near the entrance as the road sucks there.
This. Right as you enter the base you'll ride behind a strip mall, looked like their truck deliveries lane, and the pavement there is terrible. Pavement isn't all that great first half of the course but that one section is the worst. Yep that long post was spot on. Fast (but bad pavement) first half, then three climbs back to back, then descent with a headwind back to town.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I’ve done it 6x. Last year it was not well marked. Also there was no big hwy speed radar sign like years past.
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

Thanks for that. I sense you may have gone over to the dark side and no longer have a Canadian Passport!

Looking forward to being back in Oceanside. Last time I was there was when there was a full IM in that location!!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious. Why the speed trap area? Is this common?
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [prefersdirt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fast downhill with a quick left turn. Someone crashed years ago and died. It’s the Military base that decided this
Quote Reply
Re: Oceanside 70.3 Camp Pendelton Bike Course?? [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.
Quote Reply