Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well steeplechase is like trail running so there is that.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ecce-homo wrote:
We are doomed, the end is near!

They're getting a reboot

I'm kind of excited about this [and this is CERTAINLY Lavender Room content] because I love the interpretations of Bible stories and Christian values, as well as the Silly Songs

YMMV

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up to the date, Sage gets checked at comrades ultra marathon, and she eats red meat:

https://safrica.pres5.com/...-in-red-meat-boosts/

More so, he is out of excuses for poor marathon performance, as "I'm an ultra runner" clearly defeated here
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is this such a big deal for you?

Can you summarise what the point is you are trying to make about a Vegan or Vegetarian diet?
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was this supposed to be in pink? Feels like it.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OddSlug wrote:
Why is this such a big deal for you?

Can you summarise what the point is you are trying to make about a Vegan or Vegetarian diet?

He feels guilty for eating living beings so has to justify it by saying it will help his performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the right answer.

Each to their own - live and let live etc.

I turned vegan 3 years ago and will never go back. I feel great, have lost weight and my triathlon performance has never been better (at 51yo). That said, the health benefits are a bonus. I turned vegan for animal welfare first and environmental reasons second.

For some reason omnivores get very defensive about veganism. We are NOT COMING FOR YOUR BURGERS, so chill and respect people's choices.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you don't come for their burgers, but there are a lot of aggressive vegans out there. Worst part about it, I had to change from vegetarian to flexitarian in order to eat meat every time I go out with some of my aggressive vegan friends.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Maybe you don't come for their burgers, but there are a lot of aggressive vegans out there. Worst part about it, I had to change from vegetarian to flexitarian in order to eat meat every time I go out with some of my aggressive vegan friends.

when i read through this thread, i don't see any aggressive vegan comments. i do see a typical manifestation: folks getting irked at how other folks choose to live their lives, as in, the very existence of an alternate diet somehow negatively affects yours.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course you don't see it here. People on ST are nice. But ST doesn't necessarily reflect society very well.

Otherwise we could have closed down every ironman after 10 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I guess it was to be in the pink. What is not in pink, is his excuse for failing to OTQ because he is an "ultra marathoner" . The Greda, has hit OTQ. Ultramarathoner Jim Walmsley also hit OTQ . Can see that here in triathlon too, many ironman folk looking down at the shorter course racers that go quick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
Oh, come on. If that was really the reason then you need to grow a little spine. There are plenty of people eating the SAD that try to push me to consume animal products on a regular basis. I have yet to let them get to me to the point to seriously consider changing my ways. If your vegan friends can't take that vegetarian works for you now then shame on them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:

Some people are vegan and some people are pushy. The two are unrelated, you just happen to be friends with people who are both. I'm yet to meet a pushy vegan. If anything, I don't even know people are vegan until it comes out when going restaurants. On the other hand, I can't count the number of times someone told me I need to eat meat.

We tend to draw our conclusions on the few bad (and vocal) apples.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe I was not very clear. I stopped being vegetarian and started eating meat whenever we go out to seek a confrontation :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which is your prerogative. My advice would be not to be too greedy and eat either the small or medium size goat. Otherwise, classically, that is a confrontation you come out from badly.
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello synthetic and All,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19166134

Abstract

Vegetarians form a non-homogenous group consisting of semivegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs and fish), lacto-ovo vegetarians (plant food, dairy products, eggs) and vegans (plant food only).

According to pure vegetarian ideologists, people consuming vegetarian diet have better health and live longer than nonvegetarians, because persons consuming milk, dairy products, meat, eggs and fish are at health risk.

In fact the most healthy people in Europe are inhabitants of Iceland, Switzerland and Scandinavia, consuming great amounts of food of animal origin. Meta-analysis of several prospective studies showed no significant differences in the mortality caused by colorectal, stomach, lung, prostate or breast cancers and stroke between vegetarians and "health-conscious" nonvegetarians.

In vegetarians, a decrease of ischemic heart disease mortality was observed probably due to lower total serum cholesterol levels, lower prevalence of obesity and higher consumption of antioxidants.

Very probably, an ample consumption of fruits and vegetables and not the exclusion of meat make vegetarians healthful.

Now, the largest cohort study of diet and health on more than half million of persons, the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) study, will bring new data on the relationships between diet, lifestyle and environmental factors and the incidence of cancer, cardiovascular and other chronic diseases.

Vegetarianism is a form of food restriction; and in our overfed society, food restriction is a plus unless it results in a nutritional deficiency (Fig. 1, Tab. 2, Ref. 18).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4831958/

Prevalence in running events and running performance of endurance runners following a vegetarian or vegan diet compared to non-vegetarian endurance runners: the NURMI Study
Background

Beneficial and detrimental effects of various vegetarian and vegan diets on the health status are well known. Considering the growing background numbers of vegetarians and vegans, the number of vegetarian and vegan runners is likely to rise, too. Therefore, the Nutrition and Running High Mileage (NURMI) Study was designed as a comparative study to investigate the prevalence of omnivores, vegetarians, and vegans in running events and to detect potential differences in running performance comparing these three subgroups.

Methods/design

The NURMI Study will be conducted in three steps following a cross-sectional design. Step 1 will determine epidemiological aspects of endurance runners (any distance) using a short standardized questionnaire. Step 2 will investigate dietary habits and running history from eligible participants (capable of running a half-marathon at least) using an extended standardized questionnaire. Step 3 will collect data after a running event on finishing time and final ranking as well as a post-race rating of perceived exertion, mood status, nutrient and fluid intake during the race.

Discussion

Our study will provide a major contribution to overcome the lack of data on the prevalence and running performance of vegetarian and vegan runners in endurance running events. We estimate the prevalence of vegetarians and vegans participating in a running event to be less compared to the respective proportion of vegetarians and vegans to the general population. Furthermore we will validate the subject’s self-assessment of their respective diet. This comparative study may identify possible effects of dietary behavior on running performance und may detect possible differences between the respective subgroups: omnivorous, vegetarian and vegan runners.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how purposely inflammatory your title is. Chapeau!

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
Jesse Thomas at 39 years 1:08

Sage Canaday at 33 years 1:09

Shock horror, someone beats someone else in race.

🙄
Quote Reply
Re: Non vegan pro triathlete beats pro vegan runner in Portland 13.1 [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.outsideonline.com/...es-kilian-jornet-eat

ham and cheese doping for the 12 minute advantage!
Quote Reply

Prev Next