Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I biked around 2:09 on an NP of 282 watts on a rolling course with a bit under 2k of elevation gain. Weight was around 170 lbs at 6’ on race day.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [Schnellinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are methods that can get you a fairly accurate estimate of your CdA through field testing. All you need is a power meter, speed sensor and a bike computer (Garmin). Check out the Virtual Elevation thread here.
Also check out RChung's paper on the Virtual Elevation method here. Finally you can use software like Golden Cheetah or my own MyCdA.App (link in signature) to help run the calculations for you. Finding a good venue to test and refining a test protocol will take a few tries but it's free and won't cost you $10/minute at the wind tunnel :) and you can do this anytime you want weather permitting.

Schnellinger wrote:
I try to imagine a scenario in which you're actually capable of measuring Cda accurately, vary other parameters such as weight and power output with calibrated PM´s for all riders. Wouldn't you first need a wind tunnel to measure Cda, then have the athletes go to a velodrome/falt section of road and then have a way of verifying that they're keeping their position at all times?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Schnellinger wrote:
The next problem is that I don't know my Cda.

That's something you have to know, since it's as important for predicting your speed as power.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting reading RChung's paper. It would be fun to try to understand the math behind(and become better at using excel) . Do any of you know of a excel sheet that uses the method? All the link in the paper are dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ok, so for a 4:40 on a flat course with strong tail on way out, and headwind on way back, then that's 255 watts for me. I'm 6'4" and 182lb.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [mebwessel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mebwessel wrote:
Interesting reading RChung's paper. It would be fun to try to understand the math behind(and become better at using excel) . Do any of you know of a excel sheet that uses the method? All the link in the paper are dead.
There are a couple around. You can try google. It's also implemented in Golden Cheetah, and there are a couple of apps and web calculators that implement it, including one by trailerhouse.

As an aside, today is the 16th anniversary of the first public description of VE. I'm biased but I think VE turned out better than the other thing that happened 16 years ago today.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side winds don't slow one down (unless one gets nervous and sits up).

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side winds show up as apparent headwinds. You have to do some vector math to figure out exactly how much. See https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/wind.html

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm the same height as you but a lot heavier. On that course 23kg counts for ~3mins
This model maps out the course to calculate wind effect on different segments.

Don't worry about the equipment stuff - as long as it's all the same in both models it has no effect. This comparison is just for the sake of looking at the rider data.
I was riding in a team so didn't have to worry quite so much about carrying fuel and hydration. Unfortunately hadn't done enough training so power was not great, but I employed every tech advantage I could bring to bear

If you got your aero drag to the same point as me it would be worth 6mins. Shouldn't be impossible given how much less of you there is.
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:

Ok, so for a 4:40 on a flat course with strong tail on way out, and headwind on way back, then that's 255 watts for me. I'm 6'4" and 182lb.

Thanks Sir Duncan!
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firstly, ahem, thanks for the photos - I somehow managed to ride and run in a way that the course photographers, and my coach missed me each time.

I did a 5:21 at IMNZ at 225watts. Slightly down on the target 230w, but IMNZ is not flat and the wind was not conducive to great times this year, not withstanding the stupidity going on at the front of the pros!

I know I'm way off on kit, position probably not too shabby, but for this year then the focus was on the coaching that gave me 10 mins improvement on the bike, but half an hour improvement on the run off the bike (for the half). This year the swap to the P-09 from the Specialized Prevail was my token gesture to aero.

For reference then my previous times were done on same kit/position at 105kg. 213watts in 2014 got me a 2:36. 2013 258watt average got me 2:30 (105kg), albeit on the old 2 lapper course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Good thing my wife was diligently taking photos.
There is definitely scope for you to be faster for the same power. Of course, working with your coach to have more power as well as reducing resistance would be the best path.

My head position started to worsen over the course of the race, didn't have the neck strength built up to maintain a tuck. Wore the Vanquish with the aim of alleviating neck pain (Aerohead is not light!)

Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

Speak for yourself... ;(

Wondering if you've actually tested that to be the case outdoors?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CPT Chaos wrote:

Read this: https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ing_Part_2_6162.html
Quote Reply
Re: Watts required to go sub 4.20/4.30/4.40 on a flat course [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many times...

What I meant was that cross winds do not slow one down (much at all). I agree that there is some resistance to overcome, but depending on the angle it is minor to almost none. Take a look at the ride times at the TX 70.3 in 2016-2017-2018 and you will quickly see the year the race had cross winds.

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply

Prev Next