Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
And yet we're also being told that 16 year olds should have the right to vote.

i hadn't been told that. but then if it's okay for 16 year old to be forced into an arranged polygamist marriage (per tucker carlson), i suppose allowing her a vote in something seems only fair.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
A book by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt- The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure.

We use to understand... Taking your kids to the gym and lifting the weights for them will not make them stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/...KW3vKpPrlw&t=56s

I second that book.
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, the same old same old lament of "this generation sucks, or will suck because of ......"

I still remember having to hold "write-up" meetings for employees on my production line. Sitting there as a 22 year old lecturing a 50 year old about how you can't "no call no show" and that this time it has to go in the personnel file.

Or another conversation after I came in during night shift to check out a problem on the line to catch a 50's year old dude looking at pron on the work computer on the line. Somehow, they didn't fire him. Not sure why.

Or any number of adults at that time that were double my age gaming the disability system to be out on "stress" and show up to work for some kind of mandatory period then just go out again.

All the 20-something engineer/managers were the adults in the room keeping watch over the daycare center.

All range of ages act immature in life at different times and in different work or social environments.

Just more "old man yells at cloud" type BS.

Get off my lawn, whippersnapper.
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Like every generation before them they will find something wrong with their upbringing and probably over correct for it.

Then there will be a few things they hold against their parents now that they will have to let go of when they become parents and realize it’s not that easy.

Is it all that much of a surprise that the latch key generation are more involved in their kids lives?"

I had an interesting conversation with a friend of mine (somewhat related). He wants to teach his kid the virtues of patience and delayed gratification. I laughed and told him that I can imagine his kid in 20 years having a bad reputation at work because he never has a sense of urgency.

Every generation over corrects.
Every generation also uses their own experiences growing up as the ideal standard when comparing it to the new generation.

Almost every every success I have in life is the result of going against the grain of what my parents thought I should have been doing.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
getcereal wrote:
A book by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathan Haidt- The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure.

We use to understand... Taking your kids to the gym and lifting the weights for them will not make them stronger.

https://www.youtube.com/...KW3vKpPrlw&t=56s

I've read their book.

At the risk of going all Colonel Kilgore-ish here, all I'll say is that much of the world in the periphery and Third World countries is raising Spartans for kids while we're generally raising doughy, squishy little crybabies and, one day, they're going to eat our lunch. Or eat us for lunch, take your pick. Heh-heh.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
They don't need to get into sports for those lessons, there are plenty in life it self. I just think parents are more willing to let the kid fail at a sport.

It is a safer environment for them to fail at something. I find that sport gives the opportunity for all of these lessons in a condensed timeframe. The ski season here is 4 months long, and he gets a lot out of it. He'll learn these lessons all year but sport accelerates the timeframe a little, in my experience.

The other thing is that the lesson is often distilled more clearly through a sport... Wife & I, and then our kids, grew up w/ swimming ~ the clock is a very consistent, impartial, and unambiguous measure of performance ~ and, it's usually a shorter and more direct line between putting in the work and getting the results than many other endeavors, like school or violin lessons which can be much more subjectively evaluated and context-dependent (relationships w/ teachers, other classmates, etc).
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
I hear parents talk about the fights getting there kids to eat. No fight.. here is dinner you don't want to eat, fine breakfast is in the morning.

Sure, sounds simple enough... Do you have a lock on the fridge/pantry to keep the kid from helping him/herself to food between meals? How long are you prepared to keep standing that watch?
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn’t everyone who is parenting the “right” way be glad of all these reports because their kids will grow up to be captains of industries over their doughy peers?
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Shouldn’t everyone who is parenting the “right” way be glad of all these reports because their kids will grow up to be captains of industries over their doughy peers?

I know I am ;). Too bad I seem to be surrounded by a whole lot of kids that seem to do just fine in spite of the doughiness of their upbringing.

Quote:
I guess it shouldn’t be that surprising in that 8 percent of parents said they had contacted a college professor or administrator about their child’s grades or a problem they were having.
From the article, I guess that means 92% aren't doing anything at all. In my experience, people are largely the same, though circumstances have changed (student loans, high cost of housing, gig economy, importance of a degree/connections, etc.) I am constantly told not to interfere too much AND also not to have two jobs, since that clearly means no one is raising the children. Yet, kids come out more or less fine, regardless of the opinions of others. Perversely, a lot of kids who are "snowplowed" do just fine, and often better than others.

As for my generation (and BK's), BK seems to have been brought up in a parallel universe in which the 70's and 80's were incredibly virtuous, and parents struck some cosmically perfect balance. Didn't happen that way in my experience. Middle-aged distemper doesn't strike me as a virtue, and is hardly a sign of grit, or whatever it takes to make it in this world. The kids will be just fine, or at least no worse than we were.
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
I hear parents talk about the fights getting there kids to eat. No fight.. here is dinner you don't want to eat, fine breakfast is in the morning.

Sure, sounds simple enough... Do you have a lock on the fridge/pantry to keep the kid from helping him/herself to food between meals? How long are you prepared to keep standing that watch?

I remember fighting with my parents over their insistence that I finish my dinner. I wasn't excused from the dinner table until I finished, and being stubborn, sometimes I'd just wait them out until they turned a back or left the room and then, little by little, toss it out.

After moving away, I learned that my mom was just a really, really bad cook.

We didn't turn it into a battle with our kids when they were little. And while not catering to their whims, we also knew pretty well what they did and didn't like, and generally made stuff that they'd eat. There was pretty much always something on the table that they'd eat. As they got older, we'd sometimes give them the option of making something on their own. But they also started being more adventurous and developed a broader palette. It was never an issue. They know to be a respectful guest and eat most of what's prepared for them. That said, I don't believe it's disrespectful to not eat everything that someone prepares for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Shocking Poll: Parents Are Killing Their Kids' Life Skills [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been driving Uber as penance for self employment.
I've heard some amazing shit from millenials. This week a 20+ year old woman was angry that her dad was not going to pay her bills anymore. Something about divorce and needing to save for his mortgage so her expenses were not in his budget.
Miss Princess's friends said she should cut him from visiting her anymore.
I've also heard some of these millenials complain that their parents wouldn't pay for their vacations. Poor millenial was short on cash yet could afford an Uber to a $30/plate restaurant followed by a night of $10 drinks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next