Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Norseman 2019 Planning Thread
Quote | Reply
I was one of the very lucky applicants who won a start at the 2019 Norseman triathlon. I've had a few months for the panic to die down and thought it might be nice for those racing this year to share notes on planning and logistics, and to mercilessly steal the hard-earned knowledge of the many Norseman veterans on Slowtwitch.

I'm Rich Knight, I don't think I know my race number yet (do I?) but I'll be flying in from West Yorkshire in the UK landing in Oslo and driving up with my support crew and brother (same person) Stephen on the Thursday. I'd have liked to have come out a day or two earlier but work and money and all that shite - this is the best I could do. I'm staying a bit further out from Eidfjord than I would have liked ahead of race day - Lofthus which is maybe 30-40 minutes drive away down the R13 near Ullensvang. After the race I've scored accomodation at the t-shirt ceremony hotel which makes things easy and I might even be able to stomach a beer come Sunday, you never know.

Ok - things I'm thinking a lot about.

Gearing. My watts/kg is fairly decent but I've got a 53/39 on my TT bike with (currently) a 12-25 on the back. I'm limited to 130 BCD if I want to use my power meter, which I do and I'm on 10 speed. My road bike is 11 speed compact with 11-28 and I live somewhere pretty hilly and like to spin my easy gear but a compact or semi-compact is a no-go on the TT bike (130 BCD)... 38 teeth minimum on the inner. I'm thinking about upgrading to 11 speed, putting a 12-30 on the back and maybe swapping the 39 for a 38 tooth inner ring just for a little bit extra. The 38/30 combo gives me about the same ratio as my road bike 34/27 (but not quite the 28). Alternatively I don't bother with the chainring and just put a 11-32 at the back and upgrade to 11 speed to keep the jumps down (as much as possible). Be nice to hear what other folks are thinking.

Wheels. I've not got a deep rear wheel, only a disc. It is a Renn 555 which is all I race with usually and I'm a "always the disc" kind of guy as per ST standards but I do wonder if I might be happier on a spoked 60mm or 80-90mm rear, for extra comfort as much as anything as it is a pretty long day out on the bike - the Renn is pretty rigid.

Other bike stuff. Cold hands and descending is not always the most fun, and your TT bars don't offer the most ergonomic grip. My particular bars have totally flat bullhorns and there isn't much to brace your hands against as your weight comes forward under braking... thinking about the Felt grips or maybe some extra wraps of tape. I'm going to ride hills a lot on my TT bike in the lead-up.

Clothes. I'm thinking one piece tri suit under my wetsuit. Hi-Vis gilet for the tunnel and initial climb, adding something like a Gabba short sleeved with wind/waterproof arm warmers when I get onto the plateau. A windproof shell if needed and finally a Merino base layer to add from support car if I get really cold. I'm aiming to be able to adapt to the conditions. In this race you have the tunnel and the loooong climb out of T1 before you can see your support car again and change clothes - is the decision usually based on conditions on the day? Puzzling over whether I'll need my jersey leaving transition but maybe I just need the option.

Hands and Feet. Gather it can get pretty cold - I'm thinking Merino socks with neoprene toe covers. I'm going to start with some gloves, maybe my aero mitts but neoprene gloves in the car which have always worked for me in the cold and wet.

Swim. Lordy, I haven't even thought about that yet. Booties and hood allowed I think, I'll see how I feel when I get my first OW swim of the season next month which is usually 13 deg C.

Nutrition. Lots of options with the support car in tow I guess, but I've been tending towards purely liquid calories recently and in cooler conditions I might not want to drink as much. Will have a chat with the guys at Infinit maybe, or go back to gels and waffles.

Parking for the mountain (hopefully). So your support guy/gal can either park at the 32km cutoff and walk/run with you to the bottom of the mountain, or they can leave their car and get the bus. Either way I'm going to expect my brother to carry my bag for me as far as he is allowed!

Anything else anyone thinking about? Say hello here and I might buy you a beer after the race. But probably the day after! ;-)

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman 2019 Planning Thread [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there too.

I'm staying in Ullensvang Thursday & Friday and Gaustablikk Saturday-Monday. Actively trying to score something closer to Eidfjord all the time, though.

I'll be running a standard crank with a 11-30 if not a 11-32 (I'll bring both). I'll also bring a 60/60 wheelset and disc. I'm strong but not little. Also coming back from hip surgery in September.

I have a Castelli Gabba short sleeve jersey I'm planning on wearing over kit. I may replace it with something I have made but it'd be the same idea/materials. I'll bring various options for underneath. For shoes I'll bring tri shoes (Giro Empires) with wool socks and a then either velotoze or neoprene covers w/ zippers. Gloves will be something I've got to try to figure out too...

I'm definitely going to set up my BTA hydration as something with a straw...hopefully that helps me keep drinking when cold/wet/focused on the road ahead (I prefer liquids, mostly).

I'll be there with my wife, newborn, and a couple friends with miles to burn lol
Last edited by: JASpencer: Mar 18, 19 11:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did the race last year at 83kg with a 53/39 in the front and a 12-32 in the back. Definitely not a great climber but my biggest problem was that I kept spinning out the gears on the descents. Notes I did after the race:

1) You can't go too slow to Dyranut. (This is mostly because your adrenaline is flowing and some of the climbs are steep. Being a fatty makes it impossible to get up unless you crank out 300 watts. Could be different for someone who's lighter).

2) Drive through the course in advance if you ever go back. Preferably on a bike, but at least in a car. There's a ton of free speed to be found.

3) Bring enough energy.

Point 3) might seem obvious but then you lose a gel or 3, your support lose some and they can't find anything in the car since you leave your cabin at 2 in the morning without having planned everything in advance. Trust me: you don't want to run the marathon without gels.

Practice T1. You won't feel your fingers, let alone be able to get your wet suit off. Find something to hold on to and have your support pull it off. Try it out before race day.

Oh, and people race to the cut off point. Only 160 are allowed into the mountain, so if you're around the cut off and feel that people are passing you up the mountain, dig deep and race to the cut off. After that you can have a break and enjoy the last part.

Good luck :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send a PM to Halvard as this is his home race.

Gearing: a 32 tooth cassette with long-cage derailleur is great for bailing out on the climbs. No real "steep" high % grades, but good, long, moderate climbs. The variable will be if you get headwinds especially later on the last 2-3 climbs which effectively increases your effort. I converted all my bikes to a 52/36 and 11/32 and it felt spot on, and I love climbing. Bring your TT aero bike, not a road bike. It's worth it.

Cold swim: Get a cap and booties and learn to swim with them. I was surprised how much time swimming with booties adds as it throws off your feet position and slows you down. And stay right-right-right to stay out of any tidal action if the bay is ebbing. If you don't have a great wetsuit then get an extra vest for more warmth.

Wet riding: The first mountain pass is in and out of tunnels. You'll probably be warm so don't really need to overdo it with layering except the high-viz vest. However, up top and for the next 90 km the weather has been unkind in the last few years. Get good wet-weather bike gear (jacket, gloves, full shoe covers, wool base layers and a good aero lid or cap to keep your head warm). Keep in mind the weather can get down into the mid-30's F which isn't too bad going uphill (you'll be warm) but the looong downhill stretches are what chills you and can cause some pretty severe body shaking and cramping.

Wheels: more important than your selection of aero wheels will be your ability to bike handle and brake in wet weather. A deeper section carbon rim that can't brake in wet weather, or loses its ability to brake due to wet weather crud build-up on the brake pads / brake tracks (do your rims squeal when wet??) will only get significantly worse as you hit the last four mountain passes. Any aero gains will be immediately lost if you have to go slow on the downhills if you can't brake smartly coming into a corner. And there are plenty of blind corners, switchbacks and rough roads later on in the bike course. I can't give the math, but if a disc and deep front wheel gives you 5 minutes overall under ideal conditions, the ability to not brake effectively will hand back 10 minutes. Maybe you'll get lucky and have a glorious warm sunny day...but I wouldn't plan for it.

Good luck and enjoy the race. And the anxiety leading up to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Rich. I guess you are from Wakey Tri? I am from LBT and know a few at Wakey so we must have some mutual friends I am guessing. I did the race in 2016 and 2018 and have a few tips that might come in handy. PM me your E-mail and I will send you some rather than posting on here. Maybe speak soon :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman 2019 Planning Thread [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi mate. Yup, member of Wakey for going on 10 years now and I'm sure we'll have some friends in common. If you haven't swum in Pugneys duck pond then you haven't swum :-).

Thanks for the offer, I'll drop you a PM.
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman 2019 Planning Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. Take aways so far..

Bottle with a straw might be a good idea. Makes sense, many a time I can't be arsed to grab a bottle with cold hands.

Need a big enough gear to avoid spinning out on the descents (my 56/11 should be ok).

Need options for warm clothes when you get out onto the plateau.

Prepare for cold swim, practice in your race kit.

Have a contingency plan for fuel.

Good brakes needed. Coming from West Yorkshire my wheels all have proper brake tracks!

Keep 'em coming.

Cheers,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on getting a spot at Norseman.

The hardest part of Norseman of you are not a Norwegian is all the unknown, from weather, course, how to support, food, the rhythm of the race, traffic, driving in Norway.

While it is easy to focus on the uphills, you will have almost more to gain from knowing the flats and downhills. Make sure you are checking out the course and if possible do some of the downhills.

Have a plan A, B and C when it comes to food. The weather changes will also change what you like. Have some potato chips for zombie hill.
Have energy with you on the run, it is a slow race so you will be out longer than normal.

Pick few but high quality choices for what to wear.
People are different and react differently to cold weather. Make sure you are picking what is right for you.

Get out of T1 fast.
If you are cold, you will only get warm when you start biking.
Do not wast time at T1.

Being a support is NOT easy. Make sure your support team know the course, car, have control over all your stuff and have food with them for the race.

Most likely I will be in the area before and under the race. Let me know if you need anything.
Quote Reply