Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SBR ROCKR PRO vs. SBR ROCKR POD PRO
Quote | Reply
Title says it all...Now that the SBR ROCKR PRO is becoming widely avaialble, does anyone have any experience with it along with the POD version? Shipping the ROCKR PRO is a bit on the crazy side. I have seen some reviews on both, but at the end of the day I would imagine the POD limites some side-to-side movement due to a static front wheel and thereby still allows a lot of stress to develop on the bike frame.
Quote Reply
Re: SBR ROCKR PRO vs. SBR ROCKR POD PRO [rbower04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stress on the frame is not something that needs to be factored in when comparing the ROCKR units. Trainers are now ubiquitous and if they were causing damage to frames the evidence would be everywhere (which it isn't). More directly for your question the POD version effectively eliminates the stress which does occur just as well as the full PRO version. The advantage of the PRO is that it moves the pivot to a better location so the bike rocks more like it does outside.

The PODs shift the pivot to the rear wheel so it can feel more like you twist your body than rock side to side but I don't think its a deal breaker. The downside is that the PRO is a lot more of a PIA to move and store. Its particularly awkward to move if you don't want to remove the trainer every time you shift it. For this reason I recommend the PRO if you have a dedicated space and it will be a fit and forget job. If you don't have that luxury the POD will be the better option.

I would also recommend looking into the build kits. It really is a DIY job once you have the parts and eliminates the hassle with having to ship the massive boards.
Quote Reply
Re: SBR ROCKR PRO vs. SBR ROCKR POD PRO [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I looked at the DIY portion, except in my location aquiring boards and getting them cut might be troublesome. If I were in the states...easy, overseas with a language barrier - whole new ball game.

I have the dedicated space so the fullsize is preferred, but shipping is $$$.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I don't remember the other thread on this - do you have one?

One thing I notice is it feels a bit difficult to get center right, possibly b/c I have a Wahoo Snap which isn't exactly symmetrically disposed with regard to weight and how my hose clamps grab it. So my bike sits on the trainer slightly askew. I leave my level in place and have been adjusting the bladders to just a bit off center, which feels best while riding. But it can be off the sweet spot and then the whole ride feels like I'm leaning to the one side.

I wonder if anyone intentionally runs their air bladders low, and relies on the gyroscopic action of the rear wheel to keep them balanced?

As to the pivot point issue, pro vs pod, I added a lazy susan ring to the front of my pro and have my front wheel on that. I like the extra work of keeping my front wheel straight during climbs, and think it adds to the realism of the ride versus the stock setup.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: SBR ROCKR PRO vs. SBR ROCKR POD PRO [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think all trainers are asymetrical due to the flywheel. You could try putting a small weight on the opposite side. It doesn’t have to be the same weight if you move it further away from center.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: SBR ROCKR PRO vs. SBR ROCKR POD PRO [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, thanks for the idea.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like a previous poster mentioned I use a counter weight rather than differential pressure in the bladders. That way the trainer still rocks evenly and still auto centres.

It was a process of trial and error over many rides to get the counter balance just right. My impression is that rider weight plays a massive factor here. If your weight >> than the fly wheel then it doesn’t matter but as your weight decreases the fly wheel becomes a much greater proportion of the total system.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This review: https://www.smartbiketrainers.com/...hands-on-review-5066

Specifically mentions what you were talking about with the imbalence and adjusting the bladders to compensate. I have to imagine that would effect the ride quality from side to side though. Counter weight would be the best solution as I see it without having actually done it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Like a previous poster mentioned I use a counter weight rather than differential pressure in the bladders. That way the trainer still rocks evenly and still auto centres.

It was a process of trial and error over many rides to get the counter balance just right. My impression is that rider weight plays a massive factor here. If your weight >> than the fly wheel then it doesn’t matter but as your weight decreases the fly wheel becomes a much greater proportion of the total system.

Example of counter balance:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone used or have knowledge on the turbo rocks real plate + and how it compares to the SBR PRO?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After thinking about buying the rocker or building one myself I had a totally different idea.
I have a neo so there's already some movement there. All i did was take an old yoga mat, cut it in half, fold each half to about 10 inches and stick it under each side of the neo.
This extra cushion makes a world of a difference and there is practically zero bulk/space taken.
So for me problem solved in a much elegant and cheaper way (and literally took 30 seconds)
Quote Reply