Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some inside knowledge from friend who worked for Theranos. They actually did have some technology that possibly, maybe given enough time and money, could work for rapid testing of certain analytes from a capillary (fingerstick) sample. Nothing close to the 200+ analyte claims she was making, but possibly an infectious disease panel including HIV, Hep, Chlamydia, etc.

Theranos packaged up their technology, warts and all, and tried to unload it to a few big players like Samsung when the tires started to come off. None of the big players wanted to touch it, not because it did not have potential, but because of the baggage associated with it.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
I can't figure out her end game either. It was a clear fraud that was never going to work.

One other thing on sentencing is the fact that she tried to ruin anyone who told the truth. Not a lot of that made it into the trial but the attempt to cover up the fraud could factor into her sentencing.

For the folks interested in this case John Carreyrou's book "Bad Blood" is excellent.

I think she honestly thought she they could make it work. She knew she was lying at the time, but believed they would pull off a miracle. Of course hoping for a miracle is not a great plan.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trieatalot wrote:
I have some inside knowledge from friend who worked for Theranos. They actually did have some technology that possibly, maybe given enough time and money, could work for rapid testing of certain analytes from a capillary (fingerstick) sample. Nothing close to the 200+ analyte claims she was making, but possibly an infectious disease panel including HIV, Hep, Chlamydia, etc.

Theranos packaged up their technology, warts and all, and tried to unload it to a few big players like Samsung when the tires started to come off. None of the big players wanted to touch it, not because it did not have potential, but because of the baggage associated with it.

Their "technology" was basically diluting fingersticks and running the sample on a normal Siemens machine. Their Edison machine could run 12 tests but broke down all the time, was slow, and fragile. The only value Softbank has found is in patent trolling.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [Nutella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nutella wrote:
Trieatalot wrote:

Their "technology" was basically diluting fingersticks and running the sample on a normal Siemens machine. Their Edison machine could run 12 tests but broke down all the time, was slow, and fragile. The only value Softbank has found is in patent trolling.

They actually had a demo run at Theranos where there were mockups of the Edison device up against a wall. A sample could be taken, inserted into the machine, it would drop into a compartment accessible from behind the wall, a tech would grab it, run down the hall and put it on the Siemens analyzer. They would then read the result, run back to the secret wall and enter in the result to an iPad linked to the display on the Edison. My friend said it was pretty slick.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [Trieatalot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hulu will be releasing a new mini-series starring Amanda Seyfried playing Holmes:

The Dropout

Seyfried certainly has the doe-eyed look down pat.

Trieatalot

It's a C minus world.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Nutella wrote:
chriskal wrote:
Nutella wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:
Maybe not as long as you think. Young child. No priors.

$140,000,000 fraud that she was the leader of. 10 years at least. Of course she will appeal, and likely have some success but I think the initial sentence will be 7 years give or take 2.

Is $140,000,000 the amount of loss? Because in a wire fraud case the amount of loss has a significant impact on the base guideline offense level.

Based on the results CLM posted I would WAG 10-15 depending substantially on the amount of loss/gain used for the guideline calculation.

Total loss was around $600 Million. She was charged, and found guilt of, about $145 Million.

I initially thought 10-15 but think she may be helped by how close the case was. I think she is 100% guilty and should be in prison for a long time but she, and her attorneys, did a great job at minimizing her culpability.

She will be sentenced on the total loss, not just the loss amount of the guilty counts. Her attorneys will fight the loss amount. The guidelines at the highest end go from $65M to $150M to $250M to $550M. My guess is she falls between $250M and $550M. Which is a 28 point enhancement. Her base offense level will be 7. I added another 15 or so of other 2B1.1 enhancers. That puts her at 50 points. The guidelines only go to 43, which is a mandatory life sentence. Even if her attorneys finesse it down some 42 points is 360-Life and 41 is 324-405. Judge has discretion over sentencing though.

Had she been found guilty of one count of fraud for only 10K because the other courts were not guilty, but the total loss was 600MM the guidelines would still go with the 600MM enhancement? That seems wholly unfair.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s how it works. Otherwise we have indictments with hundreds of counts which puts undue burden on the courts, prosecution, defense, and the jury.

Sentencing and loss calculations almost end up like a second trial. I had a case in which the defendant(s) were indicted on like 15-18 counts but we could have charged them with several hundred (relevant conduct). Indictment loss amount was less than $10M but total loss was closer to $100M. They got sentenced on like $75M.

We had to “prove” the relevant conduct. Not at a “beyond a reasonable doubt” trial level but to a level in which the court, sentencing, prosecution, and defense agree upon. That’s sometimes more difficult work than the trial side of things.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [wesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Bad Blood" is an excellent reading. Excited to watch the documentary. First need to give a call on ion television phone number or contact them on this source cause we have some unexpected errors on our tv system. Hope they can fix it soon as it is no fun to spend winter days without tv.
Last edited by: MitchMcCrown: Jan 22, 22 7:25
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [wesley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBC News - Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes jailed for fraud
https://www.bbc.co.uk/...d-us-canada-63685131

11 years.... cynic in me thinks her having kids ploy for sympathy didn't work
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

She will appeal.

And the article says she only starts serving her sentence in April of 2023 ... So she still has time to go to Hawaii or vacation a bit. Ah, such a tough life. I wonder what she did with all of the stolen money?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longer than i expected. Sunny probably isn't feeling optimistic right now.

And the question remains. where were you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:

I think so too....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
cynic in me thinks her having kids ploy for sympathy didn't work

11 years, maybe out in what, half of that? And most likely not jailed during her appeal?

She'll be fine.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
should have announced she was running for President when they were initially thinking of bringing charges.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

11 years, maybe out in what, half of that? And most likely not jailed during her appeal?

She'll be fine.

https://www.cnn.com/...es-mexico/index.html - wonder if the prosecutor will be successful in getting the deferral of her sentence reversed.
Quote Reply
Re: Who is pumped up for HBO documentary on Elizabeth Holmes? [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
andrewjshults wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
windywave wrote:

She'll be fine.

https://www.cnn.com/...es-mexico/index.html - wonder if the prosecutor will be successful in getting the deferral of her sentence reversed.

The government knew a year ago.... they're just being petty now
Quote Reply

Prev Next