Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max
Quote | Reply
Read the thread starting here: https://twitter.com/.../1106934369158078470
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this was already summarized by Jeff Wise on Slate... they made a shitty business decision trying to compete with Airbus and it's coming back to bite them in the ass.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a pretty good YouTube channel named Mentour Pilot hosted by a pilot who flies 737s. He has posted a lot of content on these issues that is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is some more information from American pilots who reported issues to the ASRS. I found it interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/...-the-737-max/584791/
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
good read. Got to love NASA reports. Sounds like the culture of safety and culture of making money are butting heads in the aviation world.

jimmy d wrote:
Here is some more information from American pilots who reported issues to the ASRS. I found it interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/...-the-737-max/584791/

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've followed this issue since the Lion Air accident. There is a lot of 'stuff' that has been written, so it's refreshing to read information from pilots that have experienced problems in this aircraft and how they have managed the problem and safely flown the plane. As a keen aviation geek and a flyer, I hope there is a solution to this that is easy to implement and understand. I've only flown once on a Max, and aside from a somewhat different interior, it is just like an NG.

I like that NASA site because it gives pilots a way to anonymously report problems without fear of being outed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The economic motivation isn’t fully explained in that tweet series. Essentially 737 is a late 1960s aerie, and Boeing’s golden goose. Extending the gear would require significant re-design of the wing, which would almost certainly require recertification and hence a clean sheet design would be logical.

Long haul narrowbody is proliferating, allowing airlines to explore niche markets in long thin routes. Airbus A321Neo has longer legs, and forced Boeing to re-engine existing 737 rather than clean sheet. Either sit out this emerging new market, especially transatlantic narrowbody routes and lose total segment market share to Airbus, or re-engine.

They also needed to keep a common rating to be competitive - the big advantage with the A32X family. Either a common Rating, avoiding certification or lose total market share to Airbus of the long haul narrow body market.

MCAS was designed to bring the handling inline with the older models close to stall, to avoid manoeuvre differences. Manoeuvre differeces are Level C differences, requiring simulator training. Boeing clearly faced a Morton’s Fork.

Had they certified the Max as a variant requiring differences training, potentially both these tragedies could have been averted. Of course, they would have been thrashed in the market place. One of the downsides of having such a duopoly with massive barriers to entry for new competitors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
this was already summarized by Jeff Wise on Slate... they made a shitty business decision trying to compete with Airbus and it's coming back to bite them in the ass.

I’d argue that it really came back and bit the passengers in the ass.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was on a Southwest flight that dove on accent last month. It was really scary- everyone’s ears popped and we dropped. The pilots said nothing even though all of the passengers were talking about it. I fly a fair deal for work and pleasure and had never had this happen before. I just looked back at my ticket and it says 73w which should be a 737-700 but they don’t always fly what the booking says...

I wonder if it is related.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah that too. I was insensitive

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm..that guy seems to be posturing as an expert, but I'm not sure he really knows much more than anyone else outside Boeing.

For example -

"Nowhere in here is there a software problem.The computers & software performed their jobs according to spec without error. The specification was just shitty."

How does he know this? Has he seen the spec? Is he familiar with the software validation processes Boeing uses? Has he seen the forensic analysis from the black boxes? Unless he's seen all of those things, he's talking out of his ass. Given that this guy is apparently in business of writing software for digital retail marketing, I'm guessing he may not have seen *any* of those things. I'm pretty sure that anyone who's seen any of those things is under a very tight NDA.

Beyond that a bad software spec is a software problem. Inappropriately handling bad sensor data would be a software problem. Possibly having no mechanism for reverting to manual control in the event of systemic failure of the MCAS system would be a software problem.

Edit: This statement that just came out from Boeing sure makes it sound like a software problem was a significant part of it. Sure sounds like they think the software was getting bad sensor data, and not handling it appropriately.

The Max issue is somewhat reminiscent of the MD-11 and its Longitudinal Stability Augmentation System, which was also "problematic" to say the least.
Last edited by: trail: Mar 17, 19 18:31
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
criminal investigation ongoing into the certification process of the 737 MAX. The FAA delegated a lot of the certification and regulatory approval to Boeing themselves apparently.

https://www.wsj.com/...s-probed-11552868400

Last edited by: ericMPro: Mar 19, 19 4:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s not really new. The FAA began that process at least a decade ago and is used by most major aerospace companies. Although the certification came from Boeing the belly buttons that performed the certification also had FAA “credentials”.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Twitter Thread RE 737 Max [CW in NH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CW in NH wrote:
That’s not really new. The FAA began that process at least a decade ago and is used by most major aerospace companies. Although the certification came from Boeing the belly buttons that performed the certification also had FAA “credentials”.

I would think this would be similar to a company getting the ability to "source" inspect parts they're sending to its customer. This process prevents further inspection by the end user but has to be certified by the governing body.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply