Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I can give you one reason why some swimmers do not learn flip turns. At least for me, an AOS, I am a slow swimmer. I have tried to learn them, but just doing a somersault in the water creates immediate dizziness. It is bad enough that I have to stop and take a minute, and sometimes have to stop swimming. It is not a pleasant feeling. Someone suggested that I close my eyes, have tried that, but it did not help.

I would really like to learn flip turns, but I have not been able to fix the dizziness problem to get over the hump.

I suspect you can get over this normal-sounding dizziness hump with a little practice with focusing on flipping faster and harder. I too got super dizzy for my first few months with flip turns, particularly when i was doing them slowly and not accelerating into them. They actually get easier the faster you go (into them) and the harder/faster you flip in the water.

Of course, if you have some sort of vestibular problem, that's a whole different ballgame, but what you're describing does sound sort of normal for anyone learning flip turns early on.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are a lousy flip turner you are probably causing and oxygen deficit each time you flip turn. Overall I think it would slow you down.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [spockwaslen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spockwaslen wrote:
If you are a lousy flip turner you are probably causing and oxygen deficit each time you flip turn. Overall I think it would slow you down.

Then be a good flip turner!!

(Am I doing this right, JasonInHalifax and Dr Tigerchick?)

Seriously though, rewiring the brain/body/O2 system is HARD!! I am one-week into flipturn school, and I Already See The Light. (And I don't mean the lights of the ceiling when I flip.) Sure, I'm gasping, and I'm slower than my micro-break (ie open turn) times. But I'll get better.

I only swim.
I used to run. (31:09 10k)
I never did Triathlon.
Sue me.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're struggling with oxygen deficit with your flip turns work on doing them really fast, accelerate into the turn, flip as quick as you can and breakout straight away i.e no underwater dolphin kick. Even if you're swimming slow and feeling fatigued, you can still work those flip turns hard. You see slow swimmers do these uber slow flip turns and they are underwater for so long, no wonder they are gassed!
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I do flip turns. The guy in the next lane does open turns. He is still faster than me.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [Skuj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skuj wrote:
spockwaslen wrote:

Then be a good flip turner!!

(Am I doing this right, JasonInHalifax and Dr Tigerchick?)

You got it!!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over 40 years of diligent daily practice as an adult onset swimmer I have become a FOP swimmer (First of pack age group most times) and have NEVER done flip turns. Flip turns aggravate an old football injury, so I don't do them. What that has allowed me to do are "micro sprints" off the wall each time to catch up. I truly believe that this is one thing that has really made my swim strong. Test it and give it a try . . . you'll be surprised at the results.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Over 40 years of diligent daily practice as an adult onset swimmer I have become a FOP swimmer (First of pack age group most times) and have NEVER done flip turns. Flip turns aggravate an old football injury, so I don't do them. What that has allowed me to do are "micro sprints" off the wall each time to catch up. I truly believe that this is one thing that has really made my swim strong. Test it and give it a try . . . you'll be surprised at the results.

I've bolded the relevant part for becoming a FOP swimmer....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I don't do them either and the sky hasn't fallen....
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
runner66 wrote:
I can give you one reason why some swimmers do not learn flip turns. At least for me, an AOS, I am a slow swimmer. I have tried to learn them, but just doing a somersault in the water creates immediate dizziness. It is bad enough that I have to stop and take a minute, and sometimes have to stop swimming. It is not a pleasant feeling. Someone suggested that I close my eyes, have tried that, but it did not help.

I would really like to learn flip turns, but I have not been able to fix the dizziness problem to get over the hump.

I suspect you can get over this normal-sounding dizziness hump with a little practice with focusing on flipping faster and harder. I too got super dizzy for my first few months with flip turns, particularly when i was doing them slowly and not accelerating into them. They actually get easier the faster you go (into them) and the harder/faster you flip in the water.

Of course, if you have some sort of vestibular problem, that's a whole different ballgame, but what you're describing does sound sort of normal for anyone learning flip turns early on.

The dizziness and vertigo I experience makes this something I will never practice. And thus, my name remains applicable.
Last edited by: Floating Debris: May 18, 21 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
FOP swimmer (First of pack age group most times) and have NEVER done flip turns. Flip turns aggravate an old football injury, so I don't do them. What that has allowed me to do are "micro sprints" off the wall each time to catch up.

I do not know what that means. You win your age group?

You are committed to the sport and work hard at it. You've had some success. Congratulations. And you have legitimate reasons not to do flip turns. But for what it is worth, swimming hard in and out of the wall is a common thing discussed at swim practice. It is actually easier to do when you do turns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flip turns scare me. (said in squeaky child voice - think Ralph Wiggum)

AOS swimmer and a bad one at that. I have vestibular issues from a (mostly) removed brain tumor and I had terrible breath control until recently.

But I've been working and getting better (still slow though)

I joined a masters swim class a week ago, was too intimidated to join sooner. As bad as I am, the first thing the coach wanted me to learn was flip turns. His almost exact words were:

"Dont tell me you're a triathlete and dont have walls to push off in open water. I know you have a lot to work on and I dont want to overwhelm you. This is what I want you to learn first"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If saving myself a minute or two in a workout were the low-hanging fruit of my swimming problems, I would be fortunate man indeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Swimmer: “when are we going to practice turns?”

Coach: “you just had 200 opportunities to practice your turns over the last 2 hours”

As someone who has been trying to get better at flip turns for a while now, after seeing this comment I forced myself to flip at the end of every single length during my swim yesterday, rather than just every now and then. And finally, it feels comfortable. So thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Economist wrote:
MBaier wrote:
More than the added distance it is about the breath control work imo.

This is a big one for me. Historically I did not do flip turns, but once I started I had to learn to breath differently, more efficiently.

As for speed, not sure I buy into it making folks faster. When I did wall turns I still finished within FOP. With flip-turns, I haven't really moved up at all. I am a more efficient swimmer due to breathing, but not necessarily faster. The one guy that always seems to take top swim spot is a wall turner.

Unless your mechanics of swimming are 100% perfected, flip-turn should be low on the radar of things to work on.

Note that I never said that they “will” make you faster. Just that you have the opportunity to do more work in a given unit of time. If you take advantage of that opportunity, that’s where the marginal gains come.

As for working on stroke mechanics, no one has a perfect stroke. I’m actually in the middle of deconstructing my entire freestyle stroke to try and find additional efficiency and speed gains. You can do flip turns AND work on your stroke at the same time. Shocking, I know.

Also, this falls into the territory of marginal gains. It’s not going to take a MOP to FOP. It’s going to get the athlete a few seconds on the swim. How much? who knows. But getting in more work is generally going to lead to greater improvement than less work.

But you are doing less work per unit, right? Have you done that comparison math?

I’m not advocating against flip turns in general but possibly against your hypothesis that you get more “work” in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do them (was a D1 swimmer years ago) and sometimes don't do them. I have seen no difference in my open water swim times. About the only thing they do is make your swimming rhythm in the pool a little bit better, but that doesn't really matter in open water.

Flip turns/or not, are a personal preference..........nothing more IMO. Pool races are a totally different matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Economist wrote:
MBaier wrote:

This is a big one for me. Historically I did not do flip turns, but once I started I had to learn to breath differently, more efficiently.

As for speed, not sure I buy into it making folks faster. When I did wall turns I still finished within FOP. With flip-turns, I haven't really moved up at all. I am a more efficient swimmer due to breathing, but not necessarily faster. The one guy that always seems to take top swim spot is a wall turner.

Unless your mechanics of swimming are 100% perfected, flip-turn should be low on the radar of things to work on.

Note that I never said that they “will” make you faster. Just that you have the opportunity to do more work in a given unit of time. If you take advantage of that opportunity, that’s where the marginal gains come.

As for working on stroke mechanics, no one has a perfect stroke. I’m actually in the middle of deconstructing my entire freestyle stroke to try and find additional efficiency and speed gains. You can do flip turns AND work on your stroke at the same time. Shocking, I know.

Also, this falls into the territory of marginal gains. It’s not going to take a MOP to FOP. It’s going to get the athlete a few seconds on the swim. How much? who knows. But getting in more work is generally going to lead to greater improvement than less work.

But you are doing less work per unit, right? Have you done that comparison math?

I’m not advocating against flip turns in general but possibly against your hypothesis that you get more “work” in.

how are you getting in less work per unit (and per unit of what?) the entire premise is that you have the potential to get in more work per unit of time.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Economist wrote:
MBaier wrote:

how are you getting in less work per unit (and per unit of what?) the entire premise is that you have the potential to get in more work per unit of time.

You are taking 1-2 strokes less per length with a flip turn. So, if you do flip turns, you may get an extra 100 meters in, but you have taken less strokes per each of those 100 meters throughout your workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Another reason to learn flip turns [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 fewer strokes would put you too far from the wall to turn.

you're probably taking the same number of pulls, and one less arm recovery.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next