Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Convincing your aging parents their old house isn't good for them anymore [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well other G-man, you won't win that argument until something really really bad happens. A few stitches here and there won't change a hard headed persons mind. You are 100% right and they are 100% wrong, but you still will lose. We had to trick my mom to go into memory care. Mom and Sis went to the store and we moved moms bedroom into the facility and she hated us for a couple weeks, then she didn't remember that memory care wasn't her always home. Parents these days, they are worse than us kids of old ever were. Good freeking luck with that one my friend, no good results seem to come easily on aging parents.
Quote Reply
Re: Convincing your aging parents their old house isn't good for them anymore [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
Having lived through this situation, and seen it play out literally dozens of times, I wonder. Virtually all of my friends are aware of this pitfall, and have planned accordingly. Is there a single person here who honestly thinks that it is optimal to retire in a multi-story dwelling?

My dad just turned 93. He still lives by himself in the same house he has owned since '66. So I am aware of the conversations. The lifts really do work wonders.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Convincing your aging parents their old house isn't good for them anymore [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading the latest how many falls is too many thread made me want to update this post.

It’s now a little over two years later. We convinced my dad and stepmom they needed to move. Unfortunately and coincidentally, my brother who lived right near them got divorced during this time. So my brother moved into their house temporarily while his divorce got sorted out and we rented the parents a one level place for the last year. My brother just bought a new house and moved in last week. The parents are going to sell their house and use some of the proceeds to have a full suite addition built onto my brother’s new house. The addition is kind of on hold right now because construction costs are through the roof. Okay for now because the parents can stay at their summer place but this will be an issue come October when they can’t be at their summer place. Odds are there still won’t be an addition by then so either they move back into their death trap house until next year or we sell their place over the summer and they can rent until addition is finished. I want the latter but nobody up there has a sense of urgency in getting their house ready for sale.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My parents made this decision a long time ago when my mom got sick. Their old place was way too big for my dad to take care of so they built a 3 bedroom ranch on about 1-1/2 acres. Since my mom passed, dad has slowly been getting rid of things. He's 81 and planning a yard sale now. Each time I go home he asks if there's anything I want to take with me.

I've been fortunate that my dad plans almost everything in advance. There is very little my brother and I have to deal with. Good luck with your dad and stepmom.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Reading the latest how many falls is too many thread made me want to update this post.

It’s now a little over two years later. We convinced my dad and stepmom they needed to move. Unfortunately and coincidentally, my brother who lived right near them got divorced during this time. So my brother moved into their house temporarily while his divorce got sorted out and we rented the parents a one level place for the last year. My brother just bought a new house and moved in last week. The parents are going to sell their house and use some of the proceeds to have a full suite addition built onto my brother’s new house. The addition is kind of on hold right now because construction costs are through the roof. Okay for now because the parents can stay at their summer place but this will be an issue come October when they can’t be at their summer place. Odds are there still won’t be an addition by then so either they move back into their death trap house until next year or we sell their place over the summer and they can rent until addition is finished. I want the latter but nobody up there has a sense of urgency in getting their house ready for sale.

My dad still lives alone in his house at 95. Pretty sure moving him out of there would be the death of him. He could afford to have someone stay with him but no way he would put up with that. We tried to hire a cleaning lady to come out every two weeks. He fired her after the second visit because she changed the time at the last minute. Not that he had anywhere to go, he just thought it was irresponsible.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Convincing your aging parents their old house isn't good for them anymore [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fires the cleaning lady because she changes appt at the last minute. And thereby asserts he still has some agency in his life. Whilst driving you crazy. My MIL is currently doing the same stuff to my wife.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next