Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [musselman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember the series you wrote about putting on that initial race in 2004. It was perhaps the best thing ever published here. The race rocked and was special. I'm especially sad for the community of Geneva.

Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [jlh1750] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you did pick the right hands to switch the race over to, as the devotion to the race, athletes, and experience remained-that team put their heart into it as well.
---
Jennie,

I couldn't agree more. The Score-This people make triathlon in our little neck of the world a mecca for sport. They work tirelessly to do their best to make the local scene in Western NY an actual scene and host great events. I'm confident that the move to the WTC was not an easy decision as was borne out of necessity to keep the race going more than any other reason.

It was just apparent to me out there this weekend that numbers were down
---
I looked this up because I had the same idea and was curious. Numbers are for the number of Musselman finishers (not registrants) only and not for the sprint or double or other races as part of the event weekend:
2014- 624
2015- 457
2016- 377
2017- 415
2018- 365
2019- 343

It looks like the people have spoken with their registration fees. We can whine and bicker about the evils of this becoming a branded event but if the trendline wasn't heading down a negative slope, we probably wouldn't be having this discussion at all. I'll join the list of registrants that want to ensure that the WTC maintain the atmosphere and spirit of the event and hoping that they don't shut it down in 3 years.

-Gary

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary, completely agree that score-this is a tremendous asset to the triathlon community around here, and we're fortunate to have a crew with their dedication and devotion putting on races in the area. I'm always happy to participate in or refer others to any of their events. Thanks for digging out those numbers-interesting, and a little sad to see. I would have hoped that maybe the Syracuse 70.3 being cancelled would have given Musselman a boost, but that wasn't the case-and I can't think of anything more those involved in the race could have done, really. I've always had a blast there, and have loved all of the touches they've brought throughout the years. Agreed that I hope WTC can maintain both the race, and its spirit. I know I'll continue to do what I can to support the race, and encourage others to help keep it around.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is disappointing to hear. I was planning to do Musselman next season and I really just wanted to avoid doing these huge IM branded races but it seems like you just cant avoid it now. Thank god I did Patriot Half this year who knows how long that will be around for the way things are going.

Can the course even support the large number of athletes IM branded events bring in??
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree, as said to Mary Eggers, here’s the lens I view this with after about 15 years in the sport…

The owners built an asset and they want to retire so they sold it to the largest player in the field.

If you were a start up medical device company and told that you would develop something and then sell it to the number one company in your space you’d do that every day and twice on Sunday. Why do we fault race directors for the same thing?

I think the x-factor here is that people don’t like Ironman and view them as a 9000lb gorilla.

Whelp without this purchase the owners would have shuttered the races as participation at the current levels is an untenable business proposition.

We can spin races as family affairs and feel good endeavors (which they are) but at the end of the day they’re a business and must make a profit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [jlh1750] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree and very sad to hear this news. I have done over 100 triathlons and Musselman was my favorite by far because of all the things Jeff did to make it so unique, family, friendly and community-based. It was also a great, fair course. I grew up in upstate NY and traveled back to the area to race Musselman several times since 2007. I have done a ton of WTC races over the years but none in the last 4 years. I likely won't be back given this change.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macho Grande wrote:
The owners built an asset and they want to retire so they sold it to the largest player in the field.
Except Jeff Henderson built the asset, not S-T. But S-T capitulates and sells it to WTC.

Numbers were clearly a concern though, and you can't help but think it would have died a slow death if it remained with S-T much longer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Big Announcement ... Take Your Guess Here! [cdoug55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fitting the amount of athletes IM brings in onto the course as is would be a concern to me, in my opinion. The section of the course that runs through Sampson park consists of a narrow path that's become more and more gravelly every year for a couple of miles, followed by a few more on some rough, potholed park roads. Even initially on the bike, 96A is open, which is fine with a smaller field, but could become sketchy with large groups on the road at the same time. I suppose IM could make the path through the park a no passing zone, but it's a long enough stretch that I doubt it would be adhered to well. Run could probably stand, although some of the two way traffic on a sidewalk at about mile 2.5/10.5 could get tough. I never had issues in 350-well, whatever the 2010/2011 races brought in person races (no one was around me in the park and I could chose my lines freely), but throw in a 4-5x that amount of participants (with typical bike skills), and it would be hairy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next