Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually just heard about TBT, their deadline is August 24. I actually haven't thought about what I would do with the down time while I'm there, so much to do! And actually it looks like the flying straight to Nice is the cheapest option at around $670

Unfortunately I cannot take anymore days off work, and luckily the Tuesday to Monday flights also seem to be the most affordable option.

By issues with Airbnb I wasn't really talking about Airbnb itself (though it would suck to have the host cancel on me). I'm more concerned of the lack of 'support' so to speak that a hotel could give if you know what I mean. With Airbnb you're kinda just on your own.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like I am the only European waving his 70.3 WC Nice flag so far!? ;-) Still I can add some comments on travel etc.:
- Oversees travel: I would also typically go with the "1 day per 1 hour time difference" rule of thump. Plus, it definitively helps if you get up early morning in the days before the travel. That typically helps me (when travelling to the East) to fall asleep on the plane. Stay awake the day you arrive in France and try to get to bed to usual times. Other than that: Nice is beautiful. Great food, nice beach, good shopping, gorgeous in the mountains! Take your time to enjoy. I will actually bring my family and stay a full week.
- Weather: Should be wetsuit legal. Can be hot on the run (with aid stations every mile, so should not be an issue).
- Airbnb: Typically reliable and not an issue in Europe (stayed in many different countries via airbnb). I easily found an apartment that is in walking distance to the start/finish. Overall, Nice is pretty expensive though.
- Bike: You go uphill for quite a while. You will descent 3.000 ft. Maybe it's just me, but I will take my road bike with clip-on bar. Just don't like staying in aero in uphill sections (which does not make sense if you drop below 10~12m/hr anyway from my pov) and I feel more comfortable on the road bike for bike handling on the descent.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [smoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just received an email from Ironman about the bike rental program they work with. They have an option for a TT bike (Ventum) and several toad bikes., as well as race wheels and power meter.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
having ridden those roads a lot, no question. TT bike.
Now I'm super-torn. Your comment gave me confidence that riding a TT bike is the key. Then a friend of mine and I floated the question to a former pro cyclist with some tri experience who has also ridden those roads, and he said road bike with clip-ons is the no brainer. So, I now have two opposing no-brainer views. His thought was that the road bike gives the best of both worlds for the technical nature (up and down) of the course.

You are the true TT guy, so I am leaning heavily your way on this. Plus, I bet all the pros and most of the top AG people are on TT bikes. It's my first race at this level, so I want to maximize the experience.

So, I will probably do a couple test rides on a similar course near Greenville to see how my TT bike goes. If I am comfortable on the uphill and can stay in the drops most of the time on the way down, then I will stick with the TT bike. Otherwise, I will do a total reconfigure of my road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Slowman wrote:
having ridden those roads a lot, no question. TT bike.

Now I'm super-torn. Your comment gave me confidence that riding a TT bike is the key. Then a friend of mine and I floated the question to a former pro cyclist with some tri experience who has also ridden those roads, and he said road bike with clip-ons is the no brainer. So, I now have two opposing no-brainer views. His thought was that the road bike gives the best of both worlds for the technical nature (up and down) of the course.

You are the true TT guy, so I am leaning heavily your way on this. Plus, I bet all the pros and most of the top AG people are on TT bikes. It's my first race at this level, so I want to maximize the experience.

So, I will probably do a couple test rides on a similar course near Greenville to see how my TT bike goes. If I am comfortable on the uphill and can stay in the drops most of the time on the way down, then I will stick with the TT bike. Otherwise, I will do a total reconfigure of my road bike.

Having done the Nice race at the WC years ago, I concur with Tri bike. Practice descending and you'll be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbed Mt Lemmon on my tri bike. About 4mi to climb then 22mi of climbing, short decent to the top and then back down with the 4mi in the wind to the finish. A lot like the Nice course. 2 things I didn’t count on were the pain in my triceps’s and wrists. Climbing on the basebar and especially the pads was not fun.

Anyone know if the roads will b closed on both sides in Nice.

Was also thinking how are they going to enforce drafting?

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:
Climbed Mt Lemmon on my tri bike. About 4mi to climb then 22mi of climbing, short decent to the top and then back down with the 4mi in the wind to the finish. A lot like the Nice course. 2 things I didn’t count on were the pain in my triceps’s and wrists. Climbing on the basebar and especially the pads was not fun.

Anyone know if the roads will b closed on both sides in Nice.

Has not been in the past

Was also thinking how are they going to enforce drafting?

They don't. Very little in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: IM 70.3 WC - NICE [HudsonTriBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you shipping your bike, how do you coordinate when it arrives to the venue versus when you arrive? I will need to ship mine out from a location that is a good distance away from where I live and it will not ship on the same day I am leaving. Can you ship your bike in advance of your travel day and pick it up fairly easily when you arrive in France (at the venue)?

I have never done this before so appreciate any logistical advice and all of this and how it works.

Thanks guys and gals!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My bike choice will be here on the 20th....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply

Prev Next