Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Yellowstone, Yosemite and Grand Canyon [Harry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tetons is a very short drive from Yellowstone. Jackson, WY is a fun town.
Every couple of years I fly into Grand Junction and mountain bike Fruita for a day or 2.
Then head to Moab for a few days.
Utah is probably my favorite state.
You have Arches, Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks
This year I'm hitting up Escalante and Cortez to see Mesa Verde and ride Phil's World.
All of that is great camping also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe consider Glacier National Park? It is about 8 hours from Yellowstone. That being said, there are probably plenty of places around Yellowstone to keep you entertained if you include some of the nearby cities.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Mar 16, 19 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got back from Yellowstone. I would recommend getting lodging at the Old Faithful area for at least 2 nights so you can enjoy it without traveling. You should also be able to beat some of the crowds. Not sure where you’re driving from, but I recommend Indiana Dunes and East Harbor State Park (OH) as excellent overnights. Also Custer State Park (SD), but I haven’t been there in a long time. Mount Rushmore is more of a roadside attraction. It’s impressive, but how long can you look at it. I stayed at a KOA near Devils Tower once that was very nice.

Have a great trip.

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're going to spend most of your time in the RV...

I suggest you consider North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce, Canyonlands & Arches, and then Moab (Canyonlands, Arches and Moab are essentially one place). On your way from Zion to Canyonlands & Arches you can stop at Escalante and Capital Reef if you're so inclined. Take Hwy 11 out of Bryce for a very pleasant drive. The Utah parks are in much closer proximity.

Whatever you decide, wishing you a safe and fun adventure.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Last edited by: TriHard Indiana: Mar 17, 19 6:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glacier!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd leave that idea of three full days at the Badlands flexible. You may want to leave a day early. I'd plan a few hours in Cody, WY. The Buffalo Bill Center of the West was an incredible museum. I think that's a must see.

We camped at the free camping in the Badlands. The buffalo were wandering right next to our tent. My son still has the buffalo fur he picked up from the spots they rub against. The first night was great, the second the wind died down so the mosquitoes came out and it was hot during the day since there are no trees. I'd carry some yard off to spray your camp site in the Badlands and in Yellowstone.

The reason I recommended Anaconda MT, if you go to Glacier is this place.

https://www.fairmontmontana.com/

Anaconda is about half way to Glacier. The hotel has a huge indoor and outdoor pool fed by a hot springs with a big water slide. My kids loved having a break in a hotel after camping so much.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any advise. I just want to post this pic from my trip to Yosemite this past spring;

We stayed in a really nice hotel right outside the South Entrance and we spent three days in the part. We had a great dirt road right outside the hotel to run on. Waterfalls were roaring.

Two years earlier, we were in San Jose, visiting and we were running a mountain half-marathon in Berkley. The day before the race we left SJ early, drove to Yosemite and mostly rode around on the shuttle because we were resting our legs for the race. It was a great day but it just made us want to go back again when we could spend some time!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply

Prev Next