Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road running: speed penalty for wet surface (shoe dependent?)
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Yesterday I did a threshold running workout on wet roads and couldn't help but feel like in the last bit of my push-off I felt a little slippage.

Question1: Is there a general consensus on a known speed penalty for wet/slippery surface?

Question2: Do different shoes have different wet-running properties?
I'm asking #2 because I was on ON Clowdflows and with their funky sole design I would assume they have drastically less contact patch than traditional soles. Would it then be unwise to choose such shoes on race-day in case of wet conditions?

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Mar 14, 19 3:18
Quote Reply
Re: Road running: speed penalty for wet surface (shoe dependent?) [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Different shoes definitely have different grip properties but my experience is that the relationship between grip and contact patch isn't so straight forward.

The good analogy is tires. Perfectly slick tires have the largest contact area but will hydroplane/slip meaning less grip in the wet. I have a pair of soft soled racing flats which work brilliantly on the track but on the road in the wet they are pretty useless. Where they really suffer is in the corners and changing speed. This is makes it difficult to estimate the speed penalty as its extremely course dependent.

The issue with shoes like the ones you have picture is that they will pick up mud/dirt/rock/etc. even on the road in poor conditions. Not only does this increase the weight of the shoes but can impact traction. I have run in Mizuno shoes for many years and they do accumulate debris in the opening in the sole under the wrong conditions. The issues hasn't stopped me from continuing to buy them but trail shoes and/or cross country spikes don't have such large holes in the sole for a reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Road running: speed penalty for wet surface (shoe dependent?) [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had Ons I def noticed they are very slippery, especially on new asphalt even if it wasn't entirely wet. So to answer your question about the shoe specifically - I didn't wear mine if it was wet unless it was grittier concrete or older rough asphalt.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had issues slipping while pushing off in wet conditions with any shoes (many brands and even trail shoes on pavement) but I've never used anything that looks like what you pictured.

I'm not a coach or expert but I'm guessing the slippage is possibly from your running form. If you are pushing off hard and late, I'd guess this would be the cause more so than the shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be down to the shoes. I run in Adidas Supernova/ Tempo with the continental outsole and they are wicked grippy on wet tarmac, at any speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Road running: speed penalty for wet surface (shoe dependent?) [FishOutofWater] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I have a pair of adidas (solar) with that Conti-Sole aswell. Considering using them in the future in wet conditions when it matters.

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply