Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I resign [50+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
Today the 13th of March 2019 I gave my letter of resignation to my boss. At the tender age of 59 (I'll be 60 in September) I've managed to work my ass off enough and thanks to Mrs 50+ (who's a nurse with 32 years seniority herself) I find myself in the enviable position of being able to consider early retirement. I've been a sous chef and cook 1 at two schools for the past 30 years, my current job being at a smaller school with less benefits but fun to work at. I've always been very hyper active and full of energy so I thrived on being the go to guy, I used to work 50/60 or 80 plus hours a week and then go to the gym and pool, cycling, triathlon, drink, drugs whatever (no matter what political affiliation, left, right, who f@@cking cares) . 7 years ago I had two pinched nerves in my neck that lead to major surgery to fix my neck, I came out of it ok with no restrictions but time has taken it's toll, it's time to hang it up and find something easier to do. For now gonna take the summer off, fly toy airplanes, maybe go to Cuba or Vancouver, life is good. That is all.

I'll be joining you then! After 30 years, my last day is March 29th. I'll be 58 next month. My wife's last day is April 2nd. We can't wait! Going to do stuff around the house, relax and RIDE OUR DAMN BIKES! :-)

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well done, sir.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!
Wishing you all the best.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Quote Reply
Re: I resign [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations and same here - 29th March will be my last day of employment as well! I'm really looking forward to the next stage of my life
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the replies. It would be fun to leave in a blaze of glory but alas I'm a wimp...lol Besides when our GM found out he made it clear, take the summer off and give a call in August. They are renovating the caff and might have something part time for me so who knows 20 or so hours a week wouldn't be bad but I'd rather find something more fun to do, maybe part time at a cannabis shop...lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
50+ wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. It would be fun to leave in a blaze of glory but alas I'm a wimp...lol Besides when our GM found out he made it clear, take the summer off and give a call in August. They are renovating the caff and might have something part time for me so who knows 20 or so hours a week wouldn't be bad but I'd rather find something more fun to do, maybe part time at a cannabis shop...lol

Hashtag, I think the 2020's are going to be pretty good to you.
Last edited by: Skipjack: Mar 17, 19 10:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on your retirement! I have 32 years in a commercial kitchen. It can be very hard on your body. And of course all the antics outside the kitchen too. I’m 10 years from where you are (just turned 50) but hopefully on track to do the same. I hung up my executive chefs job of 27 years to take a private chefs position for a single individual. Best move I have ever made. Every weekend and holiday off, which I’ve never had before and a long work week is 30 hours. You will have to keep iis posted of your travels and how you adjust to your free time.
Quote Reply
Re: I resign [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJMcF wrote:
Congratulations and same here - 29th March will be my last day of employment as well! I'm really looking forward to the next stage of my life

Party at your house! :-)

Congrats!

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations, it's like everyday is Saturday!!

I retired from the rebuilding of the World Trade Center on 9/10/2011, the tenth anniversary. Three days later, I had shoulder surgery and two month later, bilateral hip resurfacings. It's been all good ever since!

Great pension; ''no work, same pay'' It's all good!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it go?

As I said my last day was officially today but I only went into the office one day. After 28 years at the same company, it's been a weird feeling - I've done lots of SB and Run - went to the cinema one afternoon and had a couple of lunches with old friends.

I think I could get used to this.
Quote Reply
Re: I resign [CJMcF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJMcF wrote:
How did it go?

As I said my last day was officially today but I only went into the office one day. After 28 years at the same company, it's been a weird feeling - I've done lots of SB and Run - went to the cinema one afternoon and had a couple of lunches with old friends.

I think I could get used to this.

My last day is April 18th, last day of classes. I'll be spending time flying toy airplanes, playing music and playing with the wife...lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you! I am downshifting slowly. Started working on special projects (read this as less than FT work and less travel) last year and plan to do this till July of 2020. So I will give it all up in 15 months at 56. Hoping my kids will start having kids in a few years so I can be a FT Grandfather.
Quote Reply
Re: I resign [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
You should open a restaurant. I heard that was a really easy way to make money.

Yeah and he'll only have to work 120 to 140 hours a week. Nothing to it! The crazy thing is what will he do with that 4 or 5 hours off every day? Bet he's a slacker!
Quote Reply

Prev Next