Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Additionally, sheepboy responded to a post about idiotic discipline techniques like restorative justice, which is 100% no holds barred leftist absurdity by pointing out that schools in liberal areas where he live have good “report cards”.

And as for well behaved kids abandoning public schools and therefore making those schools worse, that is argument made by the public school officials themselves in their efforts to prevent charter schools and vouchers.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not an answer to my question, is it?
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
That's not an answer to my question, is it?

And I was talking about widespread cheating within specific districts...

First hit on google...

Quote:
According to a recent report in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, as many as 109 teachers and administrators in Atlanta are being investigated for possible cheating on standardized tests

109 teachers...widespread in that district.

Quote:
Like Atlanta, recent test scores at Normandy Crossing Elementary School just outside of Houston appeared too good to be true. Another article in the New York Times reported that when the Galena Park Independent School District began investigating the issue, the result was the resignation of the school principal, assistant principal and three teachers over the apparent cheating scandal.

Quote:
The New York Times reported that recent investigations in Georgia, Indiana, Massachusetts, Nevada and Virginia also pointed to cheating by educators.

Quote:
https://www.publicschoolreview.com/blog/when-teachers-cheat-the-standardized-test-controversies

https://www.publicschoolreview.com/...d-test-controversies

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inner city school are shitty and getting worse. The people who run those schools are leftists who implement leftist ideas and the schools are getting worse.

There’s really no honest counter to that fact.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Inner city school are shitty and getting worse. The people who run those schools are leftists who implement leftist ideas and the schools are getting worse.

Lots of rural schools in conservative areas are also shitty. The people who run these aren't leftists, there really is no honest counter to this fact.

The honest counter is that you have no concept of causality. You take whatever factoids are convenient for you and ignore an entire planet of examples that you find inconvenient. The trends that cause some districts to decline have mostly to do with geographical, racial and socio-economic inequities. The US is truly exceptional as the only industrialized country in which a large proportion of it's populace is willfully ignorant of this (that includes you). I hope your kid does well in the public school system that you despise. Mine have been doing well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

I feel like the Baltimore school scandal is the creme de la creme in this department:
https://foxbaltimore.com/...t-think-its-possible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

Well, you can thank Obama for this situation. Having a parent who has been in various public school systems and having another close relative in the California school system, both with over 35 years of experience, they both can tell you Obama's "Dear Colleague Letter" in 2014 jump started this mess. Basically it threatened schools with a loss of federal funding if they continued to discipline minority students in excess of their percentage of school population. Just like in the real world where minorities commit more crimes in proportion to their population, the letter essentially allowed minorities to misbehave in school with no form of punishment. So thus many school systems have become "animal houses". BTW, for you Trump haters out there, one of his accomplishments last December was to repeal this bullshit Obama directive.
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Well, you can thank Obama for this situation. Having a parent who has been in various public school systems and having another close relative in the California school system, both with over 35 years of experience, they both can tell you Obama's "Dear Colleague Letter" in 2014 jump started this mess. Basically it threatened schools with a loss of federal funding if they continued to discipline minority students in excess of their percentage of school population. Just like in the real world where minorities commit more crimes in proportion to their population, the letter essentially allowed minorities to misbehave in school with no form of punishment. So thus many school systems have become "animal houses". BTW, for you Trump haters out there, one of his accomplishments last December was to repeal this bullshit Obama directive.

I don’t know what the root of the policy is but I can tell you in no uncertain terms that I’ve seen and have heard first person accounts of much harsher punishments for white kids than minorities (that aren’t Asian).

My son was punched in the face by a latino kid, unprovoked fully witnessed by a teacher, and he was suspended for a day for blocking the punches (he “fought back”). The kid who punched him? Nothing. No punishment at all.

My son had to write a letter to the kid that punched expressing his “understanding” of the kid’s reasons for doing so.

No joke.

Totally absurd and it serves as a “how to make a kid racist 101”....

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
Duffy wrote:

I don’t know what the root of the policy is but I can tell you in no uncertain terms that I’ve seen and have heard first person accounts of much harsher punishments for white kids than minorities (that aren’t Asian).

My son was punched in the face by a latino kid, unprovoked fully witnessed by a teacher, and he was suspended for a day for blocking the punches (he “fought back”). The kid who punched him? Nothing. No punishment at all.

My son had to write a letter to the kid that punched expressing his “understanding” of the kid’s reasons for doing so.

No joke.

Totally absurd and it serves as a “how to make a kid racist 101”....

That is exactly right. One way to meet Obama's directive was to punish white kids for minor infractions so they could still punish minorities for committing real offenses and still meet their Obama directed percentages.
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok. I’m not really sure that the people who were meting these disciplinary actions were thinking about some Obama directive. I think it’s just like minded people doing what they’ve been programmed to do.

A friend of mine (who’s black) took his girls out of the same school I took my son out of because every time he spoke with the principal she would always bring up how many wonderful programs and helping hands they have for his little underprivileged black daughters and he just plain got sick of it.

He’s an upper middle class dad with bright, high achieving kids who treated as “disadvantaged” by a, quite frankly, racist school staff.

All they saw was black and assumed the kids were poor and stupid and needed special help.

Disgusting really.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Can anyone explain how an "illegal" can be "innocent" ?

Easy, they haven't been convicted of anything.

While we're looking for definitions, what are you considering an, "illegal"? If they haven't been convicted of a crime our system would suggest that they should be referred to as innocents. The term illegal presumes guilt, doesn't sound very American.

Really? Actually, sneaking/entering our country illegally makes one guilty of being an "illegal" as soon as they set foot in our country, whether one has been "convicted" or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:

Really? Actually, sneaking/entering our country illegally makes one guilty of being an "illegal" as soon as they set foot in our country, whether one has been "convicted" or not.

Ackchyually that's not how law works in this country.
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [Thom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thom wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Can anyone explain how an "illegal" can be "innocent" ?

Easy, they haven't been convicted of anything.

While we're looking for definitions, what are you considering an, "illegal"? If they haven't been convicted of a crime our system would suggest that they should be referred to as innocents. The term illegal presumes guilt, doesn't sound very American.

I don’t like or use the term “illegals” when referring to people who are in this country illegally. I use either “people who are in this country illegally” or I use legal definition term that is used, which “illegal alien”. If you are in this country illegally (convicted or not) you are an illegal alien.

The single word term of “illegal” as in “he’s an illegal” I find to be dehumanizing and insulting.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:

The single word term of “illegal” as in “he’s an illegal” I find to be dehumanizing and insulting.

Will you marry me?
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Ackchyually that's not how law works in this country.

True.......which is why we have the current crisis at the border and why most reasonable people realize our laws need to be changed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
True.......which is why we have the current crisis at the border and why most reasonable people realize our laws need to be changed.

You know this, but I wasn't referring to any specific law. Legal guilt is determined by a judge and/or jury under the U.S. legal system. Not by gphin305 because he "just knows". A suspected illegal immigrant is not guilty of a crime until he's received due process and been convicted. It's a high bar, but there's a reason for that high bar. And a good reason.

I agree that changes in law would help. Simply vastly improving the guest worker visa system for low-skill workers combined with broad and consistent enforcement of e-verify would solve a shit-ton of problems. I think. Just let them enter legally! Then it's no longer illegal.
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Will you marry me?

If my worst fear comes true and mrs Duffy dies before me I’ll probably go gay, so there’s hope for you.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
I haven't seen the number for CA but immigrants (legal or illegal) committ crimes at a much lower rate than native US citizens.

Now that we know 27% of the population in our federal prisons are illegal immigrants, where are all the liberal experts on this forum hiding who have said the above?

It's my understanding that 1/3 of that population is in for immigration related crimes.

https://docfnc.wordpress.com/...n-report-march-2019/
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
I haven't seen the number for CA but immigrants (legal or illegal) committ crimes at a much lower rate than native US citizens.

Now that we know 27% of the population in our federal prisons are illegal immigrants, where are all the liberal experts on this forum hiding who have said the above?

It's my understanding that 1/3 of that population is in for immigration related crimes.

And Barr recently took the path of increased incarceration (e.g. denying all bond). I don't get it. It's the single most expensive way of dealing with the problem and the last 50 years makes it pretty clear that we can't incarcerate our way to stopping illegal migration attempts.

Edit. 1/3? The data you quoted says 19.3% are non-citizens. That'd be 1/5. And without looking deeper, isn't it possible that some of that 1/5 could not involve immigration-related crimes. E.g. people with legal visas who commit crime?
Last edited by: trail: Apr 19, 19 17:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

And Barr recently took the path of increased incarceration (e.g. denying all bond). I don't get it. It's the single most expensive way of dealing with the problem and the last 50 years makes it pretty clear that we can't incarcerate our way to stopping illegal migration attempts.

Edit. 1/3? The data you quoted says 19.3% are non-citizens. That'd be 1/5. And without looking deeper, isn't it possible that some of that 1/5 could not involve immigration-related crimes. E.g. people with legal visas who commit crime?

34,776 criminal aliens in the BOP system. 10,826 incarcerated for immigration crimes. That’s close to 1/3. Approximately 31%.

I agree that it’s not clear how many of the total number were not here legally when originally convicted.
Quote Reply
Re: another California resident murdered - just accepted now? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
trail wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

34,776 criminal aliens in the BOP system. 10,826 incarcerated for immigration crimes. That’s close to 1/3. Approximately 31%.

I agree that it’s not clear how many of the total number were not here legally when originally convicted.

I still can't quite square that with this quote from the link:
Quote:
Alien inmates were 19.3 percent of the federal prison population.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
trail wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Quote:

According to the data in the link, there are 179,761 total inmates in the BOP system. Of those, 19.3% or 34,776 are aliens. Of those 34,776 aliens, approximately 31% or 10,826* are in the system because they were convicted of an immigration related crime. The remainder were convicted of something else.

*I suspect it’s possible that some of those 10,826 are not aliens, as it’s not clear what is defined as an immigration crime. A US citizen convicted of marriage fraud in order to help an alien obtain legal status might be included. But I suspect that would be a negligible fraction of those in that number, if at all.

**It’s also possible that some of the 10,826 were convicted of multiple crimes, immigration related and not related. But the data doesn’t seem to suggest that, or at least that an immigration crime was the primary conviction.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Apr 19, 19 22:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
trail wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
trail wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
gphin305 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

Quote:

According to the data in the link, there are 179,761 total inmates in the BOP system. Of those, 19.3% or 34,776 are aliens. Of those 34,776 aliens, approximately 31% or 10,826* are in the system because they were convicted of an immigration related crime. The remainder were convicted of something else.

*I suspect it’s possible that some of those 10,826 are not aliens, as it’s not clear what is defined as an immigration crime. A US citizen convicted of marriage fraud in order to help an alien obtain legal status might be included. But I suspect that would be a negligible fraction of those in that number, if at all.

**It’s also possible that some of the 10,826 were convicted of multiple crimes, immigration related and not related. But the data doesn’t seem to suggest that, or at least that an immigration crime was the primary conviction.

I hope there is no effort here to suger coat these numbers with a statement how many of these are "immigration related" crimes. What is not counted here is IN ADDITION to these BOP numbers is the approx 53K prisoners held by the US Marshall Service where approx 37% are aliens. IN ADDITION to these federal numbers are the tens of thousands of illegal aliens held in state and local jails......most of which the numbers are never reported by the states, especially if it's a sanctuary state. Texas is one state that does report......between mid 2011 and 2018 over 250,000 illegal aliens charged with crimes including over 1300 murders, over 7K sex assaults, 79K assaults, 18K burglaries, etc etc. Think of it......over 1300 murder charges by illegal aliens in seven years just in one state. Wonder what the number is in California......wonder why they don't report? Like I said, do we just accept this now as a way of life here in this country......all this crime by illegal aliens.......and the protection given to them by certain states and cities?

https://cis.org/...Prisoners-Are-Aliens
Quote Reply

Prev Next