Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Would you go? [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
I’ll preface this by saying we were involved in a house fire in November and that we don’t have pets at the moment but have in the past.

No. I wouldn’t go back in for pets. I’d leave the door open and call for the animal, but I wouldn’t go back in.

In November we were woken up just before midnight to the smoke detectors blaring. The mechanical room was on fire and the main level of the home was quickly filling up with smoke. It was terrifying. After a very quick assessment going upstairs (the smoke detectors ringing were upstairs - main level - and all the bedrooms were downstairs - walk-out basement level) and realizing there was a fire, I ran back downstairs to get the kids. The 2 older kids woke up on their own and were running upstairs to get out of the house as I was coming back down, but the 2 younger ones were deeply sleeping. I literally grabbed a kid in each arm and ran out. My husband stayed in the home to try to extinguish the flames and turn off the propane to the mechanical room, but the smoke became too thick, and after a panicky few minutes of him staying in the home with smoke billowing out he came out. All safe and no one was hurt but a few more minutes in that house and my husband may be dead - the smoke was that bad. No way would we have gone back in for pets. Is that an easy decision? Heck no. But I know that we would choose our human family to be safe first and foremost.

About 2 weeks later - about 30 miles away there was another house fire where the husband and wife both got out of the house. The wife went back in to get the dog. She was killed by smoke inhalation within moments of going back in. I believe the dog also died but I’m not sure. She was safe, but made the choice to try to get the dog and died doing it leaving behind her husband (and probably kids and grandkids).

Sorry to here about your house and I am happy you all made it out alive!
Quote Reply
Re: Would you go? [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it isn't like smoke inhalation is a "gradual thing". One minute, you are breathing the next second you aren't.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you go? [getcereal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Felt pretty lucky that night that the smoke detectors worked properly!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I would. It would suck because there are four dogs to deal with.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m guessing he doesn’t watch “This is Us”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

To those of you that would...

Would you do it for any pet of yours? Just your dogs? What about your cat? Hamster? Goldfish? Can't imagine anyone going in for a goldfish.

I could see folks' drawing the line between people vs. animal. How's the rest of the pet hierarchy look?

Not an animal fan. Genuinely just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you go? [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

Would you do it for any pet of yours? Just your dogs? What about your cat? Hamster? Goldfish? Can't imagine anyone going in for a goldfish.

I could see folks' drawing the line between people vs. animal. How's the rest of the pet hierarchy look?

I only have dogs, but I'm sure if I had a cat I would go back in for it too. I'm gonna say just about any pet.

This is all within reason of course. If the fire just started of course I'm going in, but if the building is on the verge of collapse, I would have too bet the baby is already dead and just deal with it.

I love my animals and would certainly put some risk into saving them, but I'm also not suicidal.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Quote Reply
Re: Would you go? [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

I only have dogs, but I'm sure if I had a cat I would go back in for it too. I'm gonna say just about any pet.

This is all within reason of course. If the fire just started of course I'm going in, but if the building is on the verge of collapse, I would have too bet the baby is already dead and just deal with it.

I love my animals and would certainly put some risk into saving them, but I'm also not suicidal.

This. As an aside, I'd imagine it could be really tough to get a cat out. When she was scared my cat tended to hide where anything would have a tough time getting to her.
Quote Reply
Re: Would you go? [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Nova wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

This. As an aside, I'd imagine it could be really tough to get a cat out. When she was scared my cat tended to hide where anything would have a tough time getting to her.

Yeah, I like my cat, but if it happened when he was out in the house you would never find him. If it was night and he was shut up, sure I'd take some risk.

And like Nova, I'd take some risk but not just throw myself on a funeral pyre. Now if it was my wife, and I assume the same would apply if I had kids, I don't think there is any fire I wouldn't try to go into.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply

Prev Next