Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the instance of "self" or "quick" service places like coffee, food truck, counter, etc........no, we never tip. I'm sorry they want to try to survive by doing lower food prices and guilt people into paying more into tip jars.

There's a certain basic expectation of a product in those circumstances.

Restaurants are different. You sit, they bring water, take drink orders, bring drinks, take menu orders, bring that food, refill drinks, bring extras, clean spills, take away plates, bring dessert menu.................you get the idea. If I get good service there, we tip well. Not the high school 10% crap either. Those folks work hard for pretty low pay and if they helped me have a good time I can show that. Especially since the US system is so effed and broken for minimum wage and restaurant tipping anyway.

One thing I notice about food trucks that really grinds my gears is the super rapid order taking that FAR exceeds their ability to output food. Then having a second line of customers demanding refunds. Had that happen twice out of about 5 trucks we've ever gotten food from. The line doesn't appear very long so you think "great!". Then realize the line is short because they can just take orders super fast. Screw those guys.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I pick up my food/drinks, then I don't tip.

If you bring the food/drinks to my table, then I tip.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:

And at $9 or $11 for a Gyro, you're already overpaying.

This

But it was good, and very large. Made a lunch and dinner out of it and was full both times. Cant imagine what the extra $2 gets you.

It is still overpriced

Just went to a Greek rest. in cleveland and paid $9 for another Gyro... must be the going price there.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"There's no reason to tip a person for handing you a Gyro. "

I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to Dav.

You don't have to tip for a gyro. Dav doesn't have to tip for a gyro. I don't have to tip for a gyro. No one in the world *expects* anyone to tip for a gyro. If you don't want to tip, then don't. I rarely do.

But some people, sometimes, will tip for a gyro, myself included. Dav wants to know why? The questions here combined with many posts of his in the past lead me to conclude that he is cheap and selfish and doesn't have the capacity to understand generosity when it comes to tipping. End of story.

Wow then you have not really done a very good job in reading the posts. Because as I have stated, I hate the tipping society and how it has evolved in the US, but I never take it out on the server and leave at a minimum a 20% tip when I on the very rare occasion go out to eat. Now maybe in your book that's cheap.

Now how you get selfish or a lack of understanding of generosity is beyond me.

The fact that we only have a tipping society because Rest. owners were to cheap to pay their staff minimum wage, somehow brings my generosity or selfishness into call is rather interesting.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Most places with a tip jar aren't the kind of places that you tip. But some will so they get some extra money without raising prices.

Don't want to leave a tip, don't. It really isn't something to let bother you.

Yeah.. I guess that's a pretty good summary. If there is a Tip jar there's a problem.

I don't let it bother me.. But its fun to start these threads on S.T. and watch the Barry's of the world jump all over them.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BarryP wrote:
"Why would I tip "

The tip jar is because they don't make a lot of money and could use some more if you would care to spare any. There is no obligation nor even an expectation. Its entirely up to you if you feel like tipping.

That's not a tip jar, that's a begging can.

+1

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
If I pick up my food/drinks, then I don't tip.

If you bring the food/drinks to my table, then I tip.

Shhhh don't say that to loud, you might get labeled a selfish cheap bastard.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:

This

But it was good, and very large. Made a lunch and dinner out of it and was full both times. Cant imagine what the extra $2 gets you.

It is still overpriced

Just went to a Greek rest. in cleveland and paid $9 for another Gyro... must be the going price there.

Did it come with a side?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:

This

It is still overpriced

Did it come with a side?

Nope, I ordered a Classic and a small pop, Daughter ordered a Vegetarian, with a shh don't tell (20% tip) the total was $25. Didn't get a receipt (printer was broken) so not exactly sure the break down, but saw on the board the classic had a 9 next to it (assume that was the price) Probably 9 for each Gyro, 2.50 for the drink (wow that was an expensive small pop)

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
BarryP wrote:

You don't have to tip for a gyro. Dav doesn't have to tip for a gyro. I don't have to tip for a gyro. No one in the world *expects* anyone to tip for a gyro. If you don't want to tip, then don't. I rarely do.

But some people, sometimes, will tip for a gyro, myself included. Dav wants to know why? The questions here combined with many posts of his in the past lead me to conclude that he is cheap and selfish and doesn't have the capacity to understand generosity when it comes to tipping. End of story.

Wow then you have not really done a very good job in reading the posts. Because as I have stated, I hate the tipping society and how it has evolved in the US, but I never take it out on the server and leave at a minimum a 20% tip when I on the very rare occasion go out to eat. Now maybe in your book that's cheap.

The fact that we only have a tipping society because Rest. owners were to cheap to pay their staff minimum wage, somehow brings my generosity or selfishness into call is rather interesting.

But what do you do in states where they do pay the minimum wage (or better) to staff? That's my current philosophical dilemma having moved to Oregon. I believe I'm justified in tipping less because the price of the food is obviously higher than where I came from (AZ) so why should I have to pay twice. The spouse believes they were underpaid before, even with tips, so this is just a way of evening things out, and I should still tip 20%. At least we don't have sales tax so I don't have to deal with the pre-figured tip suggestions that are based on the after-tax price - pet peeve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:

This

It is still overpriced

Did it come with a side?

Nope, I ordered a Classic and a small pop, Daughter ordered a Vegetarian, with a shh don't tell (20% tip) the total was $25. Didn't get a receipt (printer was broken) so not exactly sure the break down, but saw on the board the classic had a 9 next to it (assume that was the price) Probably 9 for each Gyro, 2.50 for the drink (wow that was an expensive small pop)

Still between 1 and 4 bucks overpriced
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
BarryP wrote:

But what do you do in states where they do pay the minimum wage (or better) to staff? That's my current philosophical dilemma having moved to Oregon. I believe I'm justified in tipping less because the price of the food is obviously higher than where I came from (AZ) so why should I have to pay twice. The spouse believes they were underpaid before, even with tips, so this is just a way of evening things out, and I should still tip 20%. At least we don't have sales tax so I don't have to deal with the pre-figured tip suggestions that are based on the after-tax price - pet peeve.

Before this thread didn't even know there were states like this. I would leave at least a 20% tip cause that's what I normally do. I would also be on vacation and not really notice the food was more than at home (or not care)

Well you can try to explain what has been stated here over and over apparently wait staff love being underpaid and relying on tips cause they make more that way, so don't pitty them that they are underpaid. This is just one more thing that makes eating out less enjoyable for me, so we just don't do it often. Good thing for me wife feels the same way about eating out, just not worth all the hassles and inconvenience. (especially now that most do carry out and you can order ahead and pick up, hell apparently Uber food is getting restaurants to open that don't even have seats it's just a kitchen making food for uber to deliver. They even make different names of restaurants to go with the fare but its all from the same kitchen)

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
DavHamm wrote:
windywave wrote:
slowguy wrote:

This

It is still overpriced

Did it come with a side?

Still between 1 and 4 bucks overpriced

Eh if I lived there, might be an issue, But a meal out with my daughter before leaving here for the rest of the semester, not going to sweat it. We usually go somewhere different each time I pick here up and return her. Good way to get to see where she hangs out and a taste of the town.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldnt tip mainly because it is most likely their stand. They are the owners. They set the pricing.

Maybe you have the gyro and say, hot dog that is the best gyro ever, and then feel the need to tip.
Quote Reply
Re: Tipping lets do this discussion again. [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
I wouldnt tip mainly because it is most likely their stand. They are the owners. They set the pricing.

Maybe I wasn't clear. Yes it was very clear, it was there stand, there were no employees other than the owners. That was really kind of my point.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next