Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Taking in water when swimming
Quote | Reply
Water gets in my ears and I assume my nose. After swimming, I will hear water in my ear and it takes hours to shake out or blow out while blowing my nose.

What’s up with that?

Honestly, I would just deal with it. However, going for my 4th IM this year and figure it’s about time I bring up the question!

Can anything be done?
Quote Reply
Re: Taking in water when swimming [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Water gets in my ears and I assume my nose. After swimming, I will hear water in my ear and it takes hours to shake out or blow out while blowing my nose.

What’s up with that?

Honestly, I would just deal with it. However, going for my 4th IM this year and figure it’s about time I bring up the question!

Can anything be done?

Are you talking about your outer ear canal...or, inside your head?

I get water in my sinus cavity. But, I can't hear it sloshing around. It usually drains out at some awkward moment during the day. I lean over to pick something up, and then straighten up and out comes a teaspon of so of water. Great fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

What’s up with that?

Can anything be done?

Ear Plugs are cheap. I Don't swim without them. Even in a race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimmer here. I've learned to shake my head in just the right way to get water out. There's a technique to it.

You can also try:
- earplugs, as already suggested
- wearing a cap might make some difference
- alcohol ear drops to help get the water out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimmer’s alcohol drops work really well for me. I only use them when necessary, but they are simple and relieve the trapped water immediately. I’ve tried earplugs, but for me, they tend to trap water inside my ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking in water when swimming [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
jharris wrote:

What’s up with that?

Can anything be done?

I get water in my sinus cavity. But, I can't hear it sloshing around. It usually drains out at some awkward moment during the day. I lean over to pick something up, and then straighten up and out comes a teaspon of so of water. Great fun.

Yes, thats what I am talking about. LOL

I have found leaning over and blowing my nose usually helps. I can hear the water sloshing in my ear though. When I tip my head side to side, the water moves around.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking in water when swimming [dakg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dakg wrote:
Swimmer’s alcohol drops work really well for me. I only use them when necessary, but they are simple and relieve the trapped water immediately. I’ve tried earplugs, but for me, they tend to trap water inside my ear.

Never heard of that. I will try that. Thank you.

I assume buy online somewhere. I will search.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
dakg wrote:

Never heard of that. I will try that. Thank you.

I assume buy online somewhere. I will search.

Those will only help with the OUTER ear canal. Not the sinuses.

For sinuses, its either a nose plug...or deal with it...as far as I know.

I've used a nose-clip with some success. Last year after I had nose-surgery salt water burned the inside of my nose (after my doctor cleared me to swim).

They work, but, it kinda depends on the shape of your nose as to how well they work. Also, I tend to have oily skin and the nose plug slips off until the oil washes away. I actually had better luck wearing it upside down from the "normal" way---it stayed in place better.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Mar 12, 19 14:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can usually find them in any CVS, Rite Aid or Walgreen’s drug stores. Check the Eye/Ear aisle. Online, too, I would guess.
Last edited by: dakg: Mar 12, 19 15:17
Quote Reply
Re: Taking in water when swimming [mdfedderly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdfedderly wrote:
Swimmer here. I've learned to shake my head in just the right way to get water out. There's a technique to it.

You can also try:
- earplugs, as already suggested
- wearing a cap might make some difference
- alcohol ear drops to help get the water out

What is your technique? I tried some things tonight after my swim. I leaned my head back and pulled on my ear lobe. It seemed to go drain the water from my ear.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking in water when swimming [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
jharris wrote:

What’s up with that?

Can anything be done?

I used to get that from surfing. We just lived with it to the extent where it no longer seemed strange that in the pub that evening you might suddenly have a teaspoon of water dribble down your face. The chicks loved it.... or not actually.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ear plugs and a cap.

Foolproof.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought one of those little bottles of swimmer's ear drops mainly for the bottle. I make my own homemade concoction of equal parts white vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Put a few drops in my ears after every swim, leave it for about 15 seconds and have not had any issues since I was a kid.
Quote Reply
Re: Taking in water when swimming [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RCCo wrote:
I used to get that from surfing. We just lived with it to the extent where it no longer seemed strange that in the pub that evening you might suddenly have a teaspoon of water dribble down your face. The chicks loved it.... or not actually.

Married....27 years. So, yeah...she finds it hilarious, in that "Ha, ha, ha! Sucks to be you!" way, that only a wife can have.
Quote Reply