Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Using Tri Training Plan for Duathlon--sub lifting on swimming days?
Quote | Reply
A crash last season has precipitate a fun-filled year of no swimming in 2019. I can still run and bike, so duathlons are my competitive outlet this year. In keeping it simple, my thoughts were to follow Friel's Your Best Tri plans but sub some lifting for the swim workouts. I'm self-coached with no plans of hiring someone.

Any thoughts are previous experiences with this? Thanks in advance.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Using Tri Training Plan for Duathlon--sub lifting on swimming days? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You certainly could do some more strength training, but in terms of duathlon you would be better served by splitting that extra time between bike and run. Probably leaning more towards run
Quote Reply
Re: Using Tri Training Plan for Duathlon--sub lifting on swimming days? [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can for sure sub in some lifting, but I would consider re-allocating some of that training time to the run and or bike... Not too familiar with that plan, but if it called for two swim sessions per week of 1hr ish each, I would consider two 30min strength sessions, and using the other hour for a run/bike brick. I mainly race Du, and I often do something similar to what I described when I finish my last tri for the year and only have Duathlons left...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would turn my attention to yoga/stretching during those swim sessions. DU training is hard enough without the break on the body that swimming affords you.
Good luck, John
Quote Reply
Re: Using Tri Training Plan for Duathlon--sub lifting on swimming days? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's kind of what I was thinking. Couple of basic lifts weekly and few additional bike/run workouts at appropriate intensities.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trismitty wrote:
A crash last season has precipitate a fun-filled year of no swimming in 2019. I can still run and bike, so duathlons are my competitive outlet this year. In keeping it simple, my thoughts were to follow Friel's Your Best Tri plans but sub some lifting for the swim workouts. I'm self-coached with no plans of hiring someone.

Any thoughts are previous experiences with this? Thanks in advance.

Yes to lifting. bike/run makes you very skinny. Swim/weights keeps you healthy.
Quote Reply