Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sram eTap Shiv mismatch
Quote | Reply
Anyone having issues with the S-works Shiv TT module and SRAM eTap? Evidently when I bought this setup last spring, no one knew about the incompatibility. Now, I can't shift my front derailleur without dropping the chain. My LBS is trying to help but multiple fixes, adjustments, etc are not solving the issue. Specialized and SRAM are...not helpful. Anyone have any great ideas. Obviously, I can pull off eTap, sell privately and buy a new groupset but that's going to cost me another $2K. AND, I'll probably have to get another power meter...there's another grand.

Any advice is appreciated.

BTW, my LBS has offered to sell me a new groupset at their cost but the margins on these components are only about 15-20%...so not much savings.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram eTap Shiv mismatch [egw8p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As another option possibly but have you considered running a 1x setup? I've seen a few setup and most seem pretty happy. I know its not a fix for your issue but just a thought. I hope you can get it all sorted out!

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Sram eTap Shiv mismatch [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

I like the idea of a 1x setup but I'll still need to purchase the whole groupset. And get a new Quarq PM. My wife is bummed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be able to just use your current setup if it’s 11 speed and just buy a 1x Sram front chainring. You won’t need to change all the components , at least that’s the way I understand it.

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: Sram eTap Shiv mismatch [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What chainrings are you using? When I switched my Shiv TT to Etap I was told by the lbs that it would best with Sram rings. The rings that come with the module wouldnt shift as well. Hope that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well it certainly can be done, there are plenty of shiv with eTap around.

why a different power meter?
Quote Reply
Re: Sram eTap Shiv mismatch [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the replies/suggestions.

I've spoken w/ SRAM, they know about the issue. There is no real fix (according to them) due to the chain stay length on the S-works TT Shiv. My LBS can't fix it. I took it to another shop, they tried too. No dice.

Changing my chain ring and making it a 1x by default is an option. If I switch to the SRAM AXS 1x, my PM won't fit (according to SRAM) so I'll have to buy their integrated Quarq PM set up.

On SRAM's website they now list the Shiv as "incompatible" with eTap. Would have been nice to know last season.

I generally stay in my big ring for training/racing...don't do a ton of hilly courses so it's not the end of the world. But still, it would be nice if my drivetrain worked properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just buy a narrow wide ring for your existing quarq and be done with it. No need to switch to AXS
Quote Reply
Re: Sram eTap Shiv mismatch [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's not true at all. I run it with an Ultegra crank and cassette. No issues. The SRAM chain is a bit better for shifting but not a deal breaker.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Last edited by: alex_korr: Mar 11, 19 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Sram eTap Shiv mismatch [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The Boels Doman Womans cycling team been using Sram etap for sometime. Sram saying its incompatible doe not past the smell test.
Quote Reply
Re: Sram eTap Shiv mismatch [jellybelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most TT bikes with short rear ends are technically not compatible with any groupsets.
They can often/usually be made to work, but dropped chains are a symptom.

It is about time bike makers started making proper length rear ends and making the front longer to restore balance.
10mm longer in the back can make all the difference.

I would be curious to know what chain guard/catcher the OP has tried though.
There are many ways to keep a chain on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
egw8p wrote:
Appreciate the replies/suggestions.

I've spoken w/ SRAM, they know about the issue. There is no real fix (according to them) due to the chain stay length on the S-works TT Shiv. My LBS can't fix it. I took it to another shop, they tried too. No dice.

Changing my chain ring and making it a 1x by default is an option. If I switch to the SRAM AXS 1x, my PM won't fit (according to SRAM) so I'll have to buy their integrated Quarq PM set up.

On SRAM's website they now list the Shiv as "incompatible" with eTap. Would have been nice to know last season.

I generally stay in my big ring for training/racing...don't do a ton of hilly courses so it's not the end of the world. But still, it would be nice if my drivetrain worked properly.

Just to be clear here, you are having issue with the S-Works TT Shiv variant and not the Shiv Pro or S-Works Shiv? I only ask because my wife has been running SRAM e-Tap 2x 53-39 11-28 for the last three years with no issues to speak of with dropping chains. I see that the TT Shiv has a stay of 390 compared to the regular Shiv at 395. Is this what SRAM spoke of?
Last edited by: XX29er: Mar 11, 19 13:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you shifting under load? If so, try unweighting your pedals just a bit when you shift - like we used to have to do in the old days with mechanical front derailleurs.

If you're dropping the chain when shifting to the big ring, setting the out limit should help.

If you're dropping the change shifting to the small ring, perhaps a chain catcher should help.

That's all I've got.
Quote Reply