Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

painters of the LR, help please.
Quote | Reply
bought a new front door, fiberglass and primed.
got one side painted with the spray gun, it turned out pretty good. got to windy to paint the other side the next day with the gun so i had to use a brush. it looks like a 3rd grader did it.
my handyman had to cancel the job, no prob, his mom is sick, gotta take care of mom.

i now have time to redo the crappy paint job. it's a water based paint, valspar duramax. can i sand it to smooth, maybe hit it with a tack cloth and shoot it? do i need to sand the paint off, re-prime then paint?

how do i fix my crappy paint job please.

thank you

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: painters of the LR, help please. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
bought a new front door, fiberglass and primed.
got one side painted with the spray gun, it turned out pretty good. got to windy to paint the other side the next day with the gun so i had to use a brush. it looks like a 3rd grader did it.
my handyman had to cancel the job, no prob, his mom is sick, gotta take care of mom.

i now have time to redo the crappy paint job. it's a water based paint, valspar duramax. can i sand it to smooth, maybe hit it with a tack cloth and shoot it? do i need to sand the paint off, re-prime then paint?

how do i fix my crappy paint job please.

thank you

Me. I prefer the brushed look on doors if done right. But yes, you can absolutely sand flat/ clean thoroughly, tack and spray with the same paint.
Quote Reply
Re: painters of the LR, help please. [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks KB.
the brushed is nice if someone knows what theyre doing. i dont. dont know any painters that i'd trust to do the front door.
it's red, going over a light colored primer. the job i did is absolutely horrid. i watched some vids hoping i'd be able to replicate what i saw.
not even close.

than you

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red is tough. Assuming you're spraying vertically. Put just a light coat on 1st and let tack up. Then put on a heavier 2nd and if need be 3rd coat. This will help avoid runs.

if you can take the door off even better.
Last edited by: knewbike: Mar 11, 19 7:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Red is a tough colour to brush, especially on fibreglass. Sanding between coats is a must and maybe even using a thinning/levelling agent of some kind would help? I'm not an expert painter by any means but if you have to brush I would try that. If you can't spray due to conditions fine nap roller would probably be my choice over a brush in that scenario.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: painters of the LR, help please. [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm guessing that putting a dark color over a light primer is tough in general.
i've got a new time line so i will be able to spray it.

i shot the door with 3 coats with the sprayer, it turned out pretty good.
i thinned it with water but may try the some stuff that supposedly will keep the deep red, deep. it's not supposed to lighten it like water does. i want the deep color on the outside. i dont think it's going to be such a different shade that anyone will notice anyway. if they do i'll just tell them to piss off.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:

i thinned it with water but may try the some stuff that supposedly will keep the deep red, deep. it's not supposed to lighten it like water does. i want the deep color on the outside. i dont think it's going to be such a different shade that anyone will notice anyway. if they do i'll just tell them to piss off.

The pigments in red tend to be translucent. My go to with red is to use a brown primer. now I guess I should say I was never a professional house painter (Though I have taken on a few jobs) but was at one time an autobody painter. There is some crossover.
Quote Reply
Re: painters of the LR, help please. [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Madduck wrote:

The pigments in red tend to be translucent. My go to with red is to use a brown primer. now I guess I should say I was never a professional house painter (Though I have taken on a few jobs) but was at one time an autobody painter. There is some crossover.

If you're an auto body guys you're probably over qualified to paint houses :-). One of the best house painters I know came from Auto body. Unlike most painters, around 90% of his time was spent on prep.

Clients would continually bitch about how long he was taking with prep, until they saw the finished product, then they couldn't thank him enough.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming your door is smooth, then ROS with 180 to 220 to flat back and respray. No need to reprime.
If the door has texture that is trickier. I would hand block it back just to the point what you can see primer on the highest surfaces and respray.
Sand by hand in any small tight places.
I finish cabinets for a living fwiw.
Don't feel bad. Most people carnt use a bristle brush worth crap. There are a lot of tricks to dragging a smooth finish.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here’s a trick if u don’t want to spray. Get a high quality 4 inch foam roller made for cabinets. Apply the paint with a brush and then use the foam roller to smooth out.

I’ve used this method and a good sprayer and it’s hard for me to tell the difference between the two. Also, I’ve tried this with the cheap foam rollers and the results were not good as the cheap foam roller left pieces of foam on the door which looked like sand.

Rex
Quote Reply
Re: painters of the LR, help please. [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanrex wrote:
Here’s a trick if u don’t want to spray. Get a high quality 4 inch foam roller made for cabinets. Apply the paint with a brush and then use the foam roller to smooth out.

I’ve used this method and a good sprayer and it’s hard for me to tell the difference between the two. Also, I’ve tried this with the cheap foam rollers and the results were not good as the cheap foam roller left pieces of foam on the door which looked like sand.

Rex

This. I own a Titan sprayer and often don’t use it unless the size job requires it. Paint brush will leave brush strokes. Foam roller does not. It leaves a nice texture look.

Also, one of the properties of paint is it’s leveling ability. Some painted are not designed for a “door, or cabinet”. It’s leveling properties are garbage and they show lots of brush strokes. Sherwin Williams Pro Classic as an example that is made for wood will flatten perfectly on trim even with a paintbrush. Personally, for a fiberglass door, I would have rattle canned it!
Quote Reply
Re: painters of the LR, help please. [ironmanrex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironmanrex wrote:

Rex

this is what i should have done, tried it with a roller. i've been wanting to learn how to do things that i know i'm not good at. well...learning to paint your front door isn't a good place to start. but i tried.
the older i get, and the more skills i try, the more respect i have for you guys and gals that can turn out nice looking, finished, products.

i'm going to sand it and shoot it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you need to use a brush but don't want to see brush strokes there is a product called Flood that you can find anywhere they sell paint that alleviates the stroke marks.
Quote Reply
Re: painters of the LR, help please. [SH8541] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i've got a new time line now so i can go back and 'fix' my attempt at using a brush.

sanding and shooting with a gun will is the plan. i dont see my trying to use a brush for anything that anyone other than i will see.
that's a skill i'm willing to admit i'll prob never possess.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply