Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Use 11 sp crankset on 9 sp chain and groupset?
Quote | Reply
I've scoured the interwebs with no luck. My old 2001 P3 is still running wonderfully on DuraAce 9 speed but the crankset needs replacement. Can I go with a new 11 sp Shimano crankset (FC5800 say)? I've used 10 sp (FC5750) with no problems whatsoever in past. Thanks!

Swim - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Bike - ( x ) All good ( ) In the shop
Run - ( ) All good ( x ) In the shop
Quote Reply
Re: Use 11 sp crankset on 9 sp chain and groupset? [GrahamK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm doing that on my old road bike. Seems fine. Shifting isn't as crisp as on the 11speed, but then it's got 50,000+km on the front mech and the aluminium frame is flexy as anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should work reasonably well but you will have slower shifting and are more likely to drop the chain going from big to small. You might try splitting the difference and using a narrower chain. I am running a 10-speed chain on my 1x, 9-speed city bike and that has been fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Use 11 sp crankset on 9 sp chain and groupset? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fyi, while it might work acceptably, be aware that a 10s chain is narrower internally than a 9s chain. For optimal shifting, l would probably stick with a 9s chain for a 9s drivetrain.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe just get an older crank like an octalink and run all 9 speed? 9 is good stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: Use 11 sp crankset on 9 sp chain and groupset? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Fyi, while it might work acceptably, be aware that a 10s chain is narrower internally than a 9s chain. For optimal shifting, l would probably stick with a 9s chain for a 9s drivetrain.

I switched to a 10s chain on my 9s ultegra bike last year. I find that the shifting is at least as good, and the drivetrain seems quieter too.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GrahamK wrote:
I've scoured the interwebs with no luck. My old 2001 P3 is still running wonderfully on DuraAce 9 speed but the crankset needs replacement. Can I go with a new 11 sp Shimano crankset (FC5800 say)? I've used 10 sp (FC5750) with no problems whatsoever in past. Thanks!

Personally, if you like 9- I would find a 9 speed on eBay.

If you plan to upgrade, start with the crank now and plan on buying the other stuff. Mixing stuff can work, but all of these companies make components to work together for a reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Use 11 sp crankset on 9 sp chain and groupset? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but.....

I my case I've ended up with a mix due to quarq powermeters being added to existing bikes.

So my initial 10 speed chainrings on 9 speed kit was on a quarq I swapped between 10sp Tri Bike and 9 speed road.

Now I have an 11 speed Dfour91 that is shared between that same 10 speed Tri bike and the 9 speed road bike that is relegated to trainer duties.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reducing it to Physics, if you go with an 11 speed crank then the teeth will be thinner than they should be for a 9 speed chain. So the chain will experience excessive pressure than it was designed to take, it might slide around a little (across the width of the link) versus normal tolerance, and it may stretch faster or suffer indentation because of the increased pressure in the centre of the links. What does that mean? It could be noisy, it might feel a little odd (tho hopefully not) and stuff might wear out faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Use 11 sp crankset on 9 sp chain and groupset? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Yes, but.....

I my case I've ended up with a mix due to quarq powermeters being added to existing bikes.

So my initial 10 speed chainrings on 9 speed kit was on a quarq I swapped between 10sp Tri Bike and 9 speed road.

Now I have an 11 speed Dfour91 that is shared between that same 10 speed Tri bike and the 9 speed road bike that is relegated to trainer duties.
. I would think the 11 speed chainrings on the 9 speed bike will work because the chainring is thinner. I don’t think it would work the other way around as a 9 speed chainring will be thicker than an 11 speed chain will fit.

I personally ran 10 speed chainrings on a Quarq as you did on an 11 speed bike. I did launch the chain once and I blame it on the chainrings. The bike is Di2 and I trust it wasn’t any other reason.
Quote Reply
Re: Use 11 sp crankset on 9 sp chain and groupset? [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, totally agree with what you said above. Ironically my worst chain drop has been in my all 11speed setup. Just about got it sorted after a year of tweaking.
Quote Reply