Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moonshot ... what do we do with tech now.
Quote | Reply
The moonshot was simply incredible given the technology and short time it took. Now we have (ok making this up) the same computing power in our phone that use to fill buildings. And We have explored a lot more of the bottom of the ocean -- which to me is pretty cool, that there is still stuff down there we haven't seen, but it is getting more explored. Beyond that and candy crush and angry birds.. are we really pushing ourselves anymore? If not why do you think that is.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Moonshot ... what do we do with tech now. [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lot of things I would like to see in the universe. The problem is our method of propulsion is in its infancy. If we could send unmanned probes to Alpha Centauri at 1% of the speed of light it would still take 437 years to arrive. Until we get off the big rocket go boom mentality of the 60's we aren't going much further then Mars.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is A LOT going on that is interesting in the tech field. A few of the tech's that may really change humanity as we know it are CRISPR, Nanotechnology, Machine Learning and A.I., and Quantum computing. I honestly think it will be a combination of those things that will result in a profound change in the world as we know it...and enable "us" to boldly go where no one has gone before.

Hell...scientists from MIT recently learned how to shrink complex objects down to nanoscale.

http://news.mit.edu/...bject-nanoscale-1213

Last edited by: KAlber: Mar 10, 19 17:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
The moonshot was simply incredible given the technology and short time it took. Now we have (ok making this up) the same computing power in our phone that use to fill buildings. And We have explored a lot more of the bottom of the ocean -- which to me is pretty cool, that there is still stuff down there we haven't seen, but it is getting more explored. Beyond that and candy crush and angry birds.. are we really pushing ourselves anymore? If not why do you think that is.

The problem is really that we have ceased to see the value of exploration as a society. We don't want to spend the money if it doesn't provide near immediate tangible benefit. Easy to justify "beat the Soviets" to fund a space program, but now it's harder to make the case.

Short attention span syndrome. If it doesn't provide profit or immediate benefit in the next month or two, we're not interested.

Kind of sad, really.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Moonshot ... what do we do with tech now. [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:

Short attention span syndrome. If it doesn't provide profit or immediate benefit in the next month or two, we're not interested.

Kind of sad, really.

Month or two?
http://time.com/...tion-spans-goldfish/

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Last edited by: Madduck: Mar 10, 19 18:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you going through an mid-life crisis with all these existential questions? Anyhow, better than another BK thread.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m on level 2672 on Candy Crush.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of manned space exploration, but things like the Mars Rover and Hubble telescope ought to be pushed.

I'd support spending research money on nuclear fusion reactors or material that would function as a superconductor at room temperatures. Either or both of these things might never be practical, or it might just be that we can't do them with today's knowledge and technology. But that's what I'd like to find out.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Moonshot ... what do we do with tech now. [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Madduck wrote:
slowguy wrote:

Kind of sad, really.

Month or two?
http://time.com/...tion-spans-goldfish/

TL:DR.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply