Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
2) does trump not understand that foreign bases are more about expanding influence then physical protection? How are you supposed to support troops in the ME for example without nearby bases in Europe?

I would say that in one way, Trump would be consistent with his proposal if he actually does do what he says and withdraws troops from Syria. He could then justify the closure of basis, if the Europeans didn't pay, because the troops are being withdrawn from the Middle East.

However, there is more to the Middle East, and Central Asia than just Syria. There's also the threat from Russia and so highly unlikely that the Pentagon would agree to any closures.

I'm trying to see where Trump is coming from and that's the best I could do...

Trump wants a win, nothing more, nothing less. He is not looking at anything in the future or how one action will affect another. He doesn't think ahead, he is only going with his gut.

This is a big problem with all who seek the White House or any political office really. They make promises and then when they are able to see all aspects and how it will not be as easy as once thought, they tend to back off or change tactics. Not Trump, he thinks it's all easy and just doubles down on stupid.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
Sanuk wrote:
2) does trump not understand that foreign bases are more about expanding influence then physical protection? How are you supposed to support troops in the ME for example without nearby bases in Europe?

OK, here's where trump is coming from:

-in matters of economics, he's a mercantilist. he thinks there's a fixed amount of wealth in the world and he can only get more of it by taking it away from others.

-in matters of relationships, he's a pathological narcissist who is unable to understand the concept of the win-win arrangement. there always has to be a loser, and the loser cannot ever be him.

-in matters of foreign affairs, he's an idiot who either refuses to or is unable to learn anything.

Now those 3 bullets were spot on. Well said sir!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
gofigure wrote:
iron_mike wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

OK, here's where trump is coming from:

-in matters of economics, he's a mercantilist. he thinks there's a fixed amount of wealth in the world and he can only get more of it by taking it away from others.

-in matters of relationships, he's a pathological narcissist who is unable to understand the concept of the win-win arrangement. there always has to be a loser, and the loser cannot ever be him.

-in matters of foreign affairs, he's an idiot who either refuses to or is unable to learn anything.

Now those 3 bullets were spot on. Well said sir!

Even if #1 is true (zero-sum game), he seems abnormally fixated on taking away from our allies, rather than our enemies.

see point 3.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
But there are bases in the US that ought to be closed because there is too much infrastructure for the number of troops in uniform these days. If we still need these troops and their associated equipment (planes, tanks, etc.) there would be places to put them in the CONUS.

There may be bases that could handle some amount of Soldiers, tanks, and gear. I think it's optimistic to say that there is infrastructure in place that could handle the large number of ships, submarines, and Navy aircraft we have permanently deployed overseas.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [gofigure] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gofigure wrote:
patentattorney wrote:
Honestly if other countries could get the USA to leave voluntarily, wouldn’t they accept it?

Our presence in certain areas surely is contentious. Okinawa and Japan have been at odds with our troops for decades. Korea may not want our DMZ speed bump troop presence to up and leave. Our alliances from past wars, and our global strategy for power projection into the future remain dominant.

To say Korea "may not want" us to up and leave is an enormous understatement.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
What I do want is said host countries to have legitimate viable modern militaries.

Do we really need more countries with the capability of fighting modern wars?

Yes, we do, in that we want our partners to be more capable of fighting at a modern level because it builds capacity without requiring us to allocate more U.S. manpower, planes, systems, ships, etc to a fight. I'd much rather deal with a confrontation with China, for example, with a group of partners who can all contribute to a modern conflict than to try to do it alone, requiring us to draw assets away from other areas of the world to do so. I'd also rather achieve deterrent effect for something like PRC expansion in the South China Sea by showing them a group of partners who can push back, rather than allowing them to paint the U.S. a sole belligerent against their "legitimate" claims.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“When he says, ‘Thirty thousand American forces are there protecting Germany,’ that is a completely inaccurate explanation of what American forces in Germany are there for,” retired Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges III, said in an interview in the fall as Trump’s rhetoric on the issue heated up.

This. Anyone who thinks we have troops, ships, airplanes, etc stationed forward specifically to "protect" the countries where they're hosted possesses a woefully inadequate understanding of our defense posture.

We don't have troops in Germany for Germany's benefit. It's for ours. We don't have a fleet based in Japan for Japan's benefit. It's for ours.

Slowguy

Quote Reply
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
“When he says, ‘Thirty thousand American forces are there protecting Germany,’ that is a completely inaccurate explanation of what American forces in Germany are there for,” retired Lt. Gen. Ben Hodges III, said in an interview in the fall as Trump’s rhetoric on the issue heated up.

This. Anyone who thinks we have troops, ships, airplanes, etc stationed forward specifically to "protect" the countries where they're hosted possesses a woefully inadequate understanding of our defense posture.

We don't have troops in Germany for Germany's benefit. It's for ours. We don't have a fleet based in Japan for Japan's benefit. It's for ours.

I think in the case of Japan, Japan benefits from US bases in that it doesn't have to spend so much on defense. The US also benefits of course because it can use Japanese bases for security elsewhere to stop the spread of Chinese influence, and perhaps even Russian influence in the Northern parts. Take these bases away and tensions increase between China and Japan and some other countries. However, what these bases don't do is encourage countries like Japan and China from negotiating long term peace deals directly with each other. In the case of Okinawa, even if the Japanese government wanted to get rid of the US base there, the US would probably be quite reluctant to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: US Troops Based Overseas [tri_kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_kid wrote:
slowguy wrote:

I think in the case of Japan, Japan benefits from US bases in that it doesn't have to spend so much on defense. The US also benefits of course because it can use Japanese bases for security elsewhere to stop the spread of Chinese influence, and perhaps even Russian influence in the Northern parts. Take these bases away and tensions increase between China and Japan and some other countries. However, what these bases don't do is encourage countries like Japan and China from negotiating long term peace deals directly with each other. In the case of Okinawa, even if the Japanese government wanted to get rid of the US base there, the US would probably be quite reluctant to do so.

Most places we have permanent military bases benefit from our presence there. However, that's not why we have bases there. We have them there for our benefit. The benefit to Japan, Germany, etc is secondary.

Japan is in the top ten countries in the world for Defense spending. They also recently approved significant increases in defense spending. That's not bad considering their constitution forbids a traditional military and only allows a self defense force. They're already a solid military partner, and getting better. I'm not sure our presence is really having a huge depressive impact on their spending.

Slowguy

Quote Reply

Prev Next