Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study
Quote | Reply
https://abcnews.go.com/...1_post_hero_card_hed

"The study, which will be presented at the American College of Cardiology’s annual meeting, found that people on low-carb diets were 18 percent more likely to develop atrial fibrillation, a common heart rhythm disorder, than people on a moderate-carb diet."

"The newly-released study tracked nearly 14,000 people for more than two decades. Participants filled out a food questionnaire about what they ate and researchers followed them to track how many developed AFib.
Participants who identified as eating low-carb in the study consumed less than 44 percent of their daily calorie intake from carbohydrates."
Quote Reply
Re: Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will speculate majority of the people in the keto group jumped on to reverse previous damage, but a little too late to help
Quote Reply
Re: Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
I will speculate majority of the people in the keto group jumped on to reverse previous damage, but a little too late to help

I would think 2 decades would be enough to have a positive effect.

In light of this new study, I wonder if some of the heart issues expressed by some elite athletes, some who I know also support Keto, were in some way caused by the diet and combination of hard core exercise. Both are now known possibly related to Afib and cardiac issues in some people.....if they had the double whammy?
Quote Reply
Re: Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

You get a gold for both scientific ignorance and mental gymnastics yet again.
Quote Reply
Re: Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s interesting. Out of no where I had an a-Fib episode in August. I never felt symptomatic but had a massively elevated HR when training. It didn’t abate on it’s own and I had an electro-conversion. Been perfectly fine since. But I am a million miles away from having a keto diet so not sure where that correlation lies. I suppose point being a-Fib in endurance sport is becoming more common as per my cardiologist.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
That’s interesting. Out of no where I had an a-Fib episode in August. I never felt symptomatic but had a massively elevated HR when training. It didn’t abate on it’s own and I had an electro-conversion. Been perfectly fine since. But I am a million miles away from having a keto diet so not sure where that correlation lies. I suppose point being a-Fib in endurance sport is becoming more common as per my cardiologist.

Oh, so sorry. Hope it's under control and things are better. I can't think of much that would be more upsetting given what we do. Here's my best for no more issues.

It's funny, but I think the reaction to these studies depends on a few things, but mostly age. Having had few issues, but also advancing in years where who knows how few are left I try and hedge my bet and pay attention to much that would extend my stay here. I play hard still, but I also don't disregard these studies that give us all a chance to better ourselves. To dismiss studies with this large a sampling and the years combined is to be foolish, or young, or both.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
https://abcnews.go.com/wellness/story/low-carb-diets-keto-linked-potential-heart-risk-61528616?cid=clicksource_4380645_11_post_hero_card_hed

Participants who identified as eating low-carb in the study consumed less than 44 percent of their daily calorie intake from carbohydrates."

"Identified' as low carb. 44% is hardly low carb is it, and certainly not keto?

I find it hard to believe that the study group accurately monitored their intake and other factors over 2 decades in such a way that the only variable to account for it is their 'identified' diet.

As has been said diet studies come and go all the time, who can you believe...
Quote Reply
Re: Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study [Longdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longdog wrote:
ggeiger wrote:
https://abcnews.go.com/wellness/story/low-carb-diets-keto-linked-potential-heart-risk-61528616?cid=clicksource_4380645_11_post_hero_card_hed

"Identified' as low carb. 44% is hardly low carb is it, and certainly not keto?

I find it hard to believe that the study group accurately monitored their intake and other factors over 2 decades in such a way that the only variable to account for it is their 'identified' diet.

As has been said diet studies come and go all the time, who can you believe...

Classifying a variable such as diet which folks can be quite self delusional about by self reporting doesn't seem to hold much water.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Low-carb diets like keto linked to potential heart risk in new study [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, it can be hard enough to not fool yourself with what you've eaten in a week never mind 20 years.

My diet has varied between 'standard', vegan, veggie low carb, keto and practically carnivore in that time scale. I've also gone from drinking alcohol to not at all. Type and amount of exercise has varied massively too.
Quote Reply