Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interview with a blood doper, Fasterskier podcast interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv
Quote | Reply
Fasterskier has an interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv

In this episode, we speak with Estonian athlete Karel Tammjärv. If you are unfamiliar with the latest news, Tammjärve was arrested last week in Seefeld, Austria as part of an investigation into doping.
FasterSkier first contacted Tammjärv yesterday and in a quick turn of events, Tammjärv offered us an interview this morning. Although the interview was conducted on short notice, we had no pre-conditions when it came to the types of questions we could ask.
https://fasterskier.com/...nias-karel-tammjarv/
Quote Reply
Re: Interview with a blood doper, Fasterskier podcast interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I listened yesterday. Very open but disheartening interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Interview with a blood doper, Fasterskier podcast interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Thanks. Great interview.
Quote Reply
Re: Interview with a blood doper, Fasterskier podcast interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is really shocking how level headed he seems, both with his choices and the implications to all of this. It shows how normal/decent people get pulled in to these actions and it is sad. I certainly don't condone it, but the doping cultures in these sports still exists to various degrees and it is easy to see the whys and hows of people finding their way toward these methods.
Last edited by: turdburgler: Mar 7, 19 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: Interview with a blood doper, Fasterskier podcast interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back in the day (beginning of the 90's) when I raced in cycling I usually did some races in Switzerland. They had (and still do I believe) a very interesting handicap system where juniors/amateurs/veterans/elites/pros could race together (starting at different minute intervals - first to the finish wins!).

During my summers in Switzerland I trained with some of the amateurs there and then turned up training with some of the professionals who lived near Aigle (where UCI has its HQ). Two of these professionals were Pascal Richard and Laurent Dufaux.

Laurent Dufaux best result was 4th in the GC of the TdF 1996. Pascal Richard won the Olympic Games RR the same year.

Now, these guys where really supernice personalities - likeable, social and very friendly. When I trained with guys in the national amateur team at home they a l w a y s had to beat me. They always had to demonstrate the pecking order.

These pros didn't have to. During our first ride we did 300km in 10h through 4 cols. I was quite knackered - and knew I had to ride up an additional 18 km long climb to get home. These guys loaned me some money to take the train up the last climb!

Fast forward to 1997 and the Festina Affair - Laurent Dufaux was busted.

One of Dr. Ferrari's clients (other than the one who shall not be named): Pascal Richard.

That really hurt. The picture of dopers as nasty villains; crooks lurking in the dark is just not true. You just cannot trust anyone with regards to doping. And this again is something I saw in this interview. The doper for sure took a very bad decision and chose a bad path. But it's frustrating how normal he seems to be.
Quote Reply
Re: Interview with a blood doper, Fasterskier podcast interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv [colnagoguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We seem to like the "apparently" naive and likeable cheater. A victim of the system...
Curiously, the smartest athletes, those who think about controlling every aspect of their sport (including the darkest parts), will pass for vilains in our eyes when it comes to cheating/doping...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I lived in Seattle and was a coach for the local junior xc-skiing team I met Karel Tammjarv while rollerskiing. He was in Seattle as part of his yearly trip to the USA and was out training.
He to a break from his workout and start talking with the junior skiers. He also was willing to demonstrate skating.
He was a really nice guy to the youth skier.

Then during the world championship the news broke that he was a doper.

Humans are complicated.
Last edited by: Halvard: Mar 8, 19 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: Interview with a blood doper, Fasterskier podcast interview with Estonia’s Karel Tammjärv [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
louisn wrote:
We seem to like the "apparently" naive and likeable cheater. A victim of the system...
Curiously, the smartest athletes, those who think about controlling every aspect of their sport (including the darkest parts), will pass for vilains in our eyes when it comes to cheating/doping...

Louis :-)

Very well said - I've noticed this in regards to several others that have had doping issues arise over the years. I've not yet listened to this interview but am planning to on a flight out of town Sunday night.
Quote Reply