Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump
Quote | Reply
I didn't see this discussed, so if I missed it...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.05d4a0698dfd

and

https://thehill.com/...g-debates-after-dems

I have a lot of very conservative "friends" that are loosing their minds over this one. I try to stay middle of the road in things like this, and I don't see were Fox leans in one direction any more that CNN leans in the other direction. As for the other major networks, they seem to be in the middle or off to one side or the other a small amount, but nothing like Fox or CNN.

So what is the group's take on where this is going to go? What is the end game for both parties this time?

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

and

I have a lot of very conservative "friends" that are loosing their minds over this one. I try to stay middle of the road in things like this, and I don't see were Fox leans in one direction any more that CNN leans in the other direction. As for the other major networks, they seem to be in the middle or off to one side or the other a small amount, but nothing like Fox or CNN.

So what is the group's take on where this is going to go? What is the end game for both parties this time?

I think the CNN tit-for-tat is reasonable. CNN - while entertaining for some - is toilet news. So is Fox. That is the lasting implication for me on this.

I think the country will be better off if we acknowledge these realities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apples and Oranges. DNC is talking about their own primaries. Trump is talking about the debates for a general election. The RNC had previously dictated who would host their primary debates. I think the RNC told NBC to suspend their primary debate in until they could review all questions asked.

So moderating primaries isnt something that is new. A candidate trying to control debates in the general would be.

I think the big difference is that the DNC and the RNC are private orgs. that can control who they are going to select. This is vastly different than electing the leader of the country, where the representative is that of the US, not of a party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
So what is the group's take on where this is going to go?

From the Hill piece:

"The president alone would not have the power to prevent outlets from hosting a general election debate.
The DNC and Republican National Committee (RNC) work with media outlets on arrangements for hosting their respective primary debates. The Commission on Presidential Debates, which the DNC and RNC jointly sponsor, sets up the general election debates."

Sounds like it's pretty clear that the DNC can block Fox, but Trump would face a slightly more uphill battle in blocking CNN/MSNBC/any network Trump doesn't like from the general debates.

I know it's a incredibly remote possibility because he always does his due diligence and makes sure he know what he's talking about, but Trump may be speaking out of his arse on this one.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see were Fox leans in one direction any more that CNN leans in the other direction. //

Really? I mean CNN has turned into a really shitty news show, but I dont see it anywhere as far left as FOX is far right. To me, the equal to Fox would be CNBC. Tiny bit of slanted news, with lots of opinion shows to each base. I cannot watch any of those 3 shows anymore, actually cut my cable and just go with one local news now. This 24 hour and days on end beating to death one story, well that is not news anymore..I will watch a debate if it is on PBS, with one of their moderators. I think Gwen ? did one last time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering Fox News ran a story, in coordination with the white house, to push a theory, based on no evidence, that the DNC murdered one of their own staffers, I would say it is reasonable that the DNC may not want to give the network a lucrative event. Seriously, Fox News has yet to explain how they put that story on the air. Yet, they spiked the Stormy Daniels story before the election. Can you point me to similar actions by CNN? This is not some both sides are the same thing, Fox News is clearly worse.

Also, trump boycotted the Fox News debate in the republican primary, so kinda crazy for people to be up in arms now.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I don't see were Fox leans in one direction any more that CNN leans in the other direction. //

Really? I mean CNN has turned into a really shitty news show, but I dont see it anywhere as far left as FOX is far right. To me, the equal to Fox would be CNBC. Tiny bit of slanted news, with lots of opinion shows to each base. I cannot watch any of those 3 shows anymore, actually cut my cable and just go with one local news now. This 24 hour and days on end beating to death one story, well that is not news anymore..I will watch a debate if it is on PBS, with one of their moderators. I think Gwen ? did one last time?

You mean MSNBC, right?

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:

I think the CNN tit-for-tat is reasonable. CNN - while entertaining for some - is toilet news. So is Fox. That is the lasting implication for me on this.

I think the country will be better off if we acknowledge these realities.

People on both sides love confirmation bias.

My problem with both is that it is 90% politics and not actually "news" of any kinds. Too many opinion pieces and segments.

I think part of the problem these days is the instant nature of news means there is zero filter or work or real investigating. In the days you had the daily paper, the 7AM and 6PM news cycle, you had to pick closely what you'd air. Nowadays it is constant streams of garbage all day long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I read this right.

The DNC said fox wont host its primary debates... totally ok its a private thing, sure.. I would guess the RNC wont be letting PETA, or some global warming group host theirs.

But because of that Trump thinks he should and can change how the General election Debate is done?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We will win again in 2020 and CNN and their base loses and CNN continues down their path.

I listen to NPR in the car and its Soooo ultra LEFT wing leaning I end up screaming at the radio and changing to some good ole' classic country music.

I will listen to a NPR discussion and I very quickly ask in my head why the hell they can't have someone on the show as a rebuttal? Their guests are overwhelmingly hard LEFT leaning ballickers and its so obvious and they are called National "PUBLIC" Radio.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
monty wrote:

You mean MSNBC, right?

I'd say he has to mean MSNBC. Although in my opinion, CNN is just as bad. The only on that really just reports news is the CNN HLN channel.

I flip around when I ride the trainer in the AM and it's amazing how the same story can be reported on with such different slants.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Apples and Oranges. DNC is talking about their own primaries. Trump is talking about the debates for a general election. The RNC had previously dictated who would host their primary debates. I think the RNC told NBC to suspend their primary debate in until they could review all questions asked.

So moderating primaries isnt something that is new. A candidate trying to control debates in the general would be.

I think the big difference is that the DNC and the RNC are private orgs. that can control who they are going to select. This is vastly different than electing the leader of the country, where the representative is that of the US, not of a party.

It would be interesting if Trump decided he would not attend debates hosted by CNN in the General. There is no rule that you have to attend. And he definitely could just hold a big rally that would be covered by Fox or someone else.

Truth is, becoming tribal with your primary debates is not the way to expose voters outside of your base to your views. The people that watch will already be voting for those candidates anyway. I think it is a bad move on their part. Plus, it leaves people wondering, what are you trying to hide? What are you afraid of?
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFortMill wrote:
We will win again in 2020 . . .

Go Team!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If trump wants to skip the debates in the primaries, 95%+ people will take 1 of 2 views: 1) he is a baby. 2) he is being strong. The camps are already set.

Trump gets a lot of air time. If he skips a debate, and the dems get to run a town hall in friendly confines for an hour or two. To me, that would seem stupid. Obviously this is with the huge caveat of, much of what trump does is stupid, and lots of people love him for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
If trump wants to skip the debates in the primaries, 95%+ people will take 1 of 2 views: 1) he is a baby. 2) he is being strong. The camps are already set.

Trump gets a lot of air time. If he skips a debate, and the dems get to run a town hall in friendly confines for an hour or two. To me, that would seem stupid. Obviously this is with the huge caveat of, much of what trump does is stupid, and lots of people love him for it.

And you assume that Trump wouldn't do his own thing. I'd bet his ratings would be higher than the Dem town hall...
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
It's reality tv already. Just get 4 judges like America's Got Talent - 2 chosen by each party, and have them ask questions to the opposite party candidate(s). Should be great entertainment.

False.

Give one guy 60 minutes the next guy 90 minutes and then a 30 minute rebuttal.

Worked for Lincoln Douglas and you get more than 30 second sound bites and being told go to my website for my whole platform
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
spudone wrote:
It's reality tv already. Just get 4 judges like America's Got Talent - 2 chosen by each party, and have them ask questions to the opposite party candidate(s). Should be great entertainment.

False.

Give one guy 60 minutes the next guy 90 minutes and then a 30 minute rebuttal.

Worked for Lincoln Douglas and you get more than 30 second sound bites and being told go to my website for my whole platform

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cable news networks are intentionally designed, directed, produced and marketed to provide entertainment, not news. Most people know this.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [EDS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cable news networks are intentionally designed, directed, produced and marketed to provide entertainment, not news. Most people know this.

So if someone watches CNN, they don't hear any news?

I remember watching the 9/11 attacks for about 10 hours on CNN, the hurricanes in New Orleans, the initial bombings in Iraq. I had no idea that I was only being entertained and the news was all fake.

This is an OUTRAGE !!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriFortMill wrote:
I listen to NPR in the car and its Soooo ultra LEFT wing leaning I end up screaming at the radio and changing to some good ole' classic country music.
Yee haw!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:

and

Late to the game here, sorry. The DNC decision to exclude Fox in their debates is wrongheaded and they will rue that call. Many independents only view Fox. Not allowing those voters to assess your candidates perform in hostile territory is cowardly. Implication is that your candidates would not be equal to the challenge. Votes are there for the taking.

The Trump counterpunch is weak and will never be realized.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
Considering Fox News ran a story, in coordination with the white house, to push a theory, based on no evidence, that the DNC murdered one of their own staffers, I would say it is reasonable that the DNC may not want to give the network a lucrative event. Seriously, Fox News has yet to explain how they put that story on the air. Yet, they spiked the Stormy Daniels story before the election. Can you point me to similar actions by CNN? This is not some both sides are the same thing, Fox News is clearly worse.

Also, trump boycotted the Fox News debate in the republican primary, so kinda crazy for people to be up in arms now.
Really? How about the bogus Buzzfeed story re the Meuller investigation that CNN went wall to wall with? Followed by their Covington H.S. coverage. And that was just one weekend! No left wing bias there.
Quote Reply
Re: Fox News, the DNC, and now Trump [PrinceMax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PrinceMax wrote:
chaparral wrote:

Really? How about the bogus Buzzfeed story re the Meuller investigation that CNN went wall to wall with? Followed by their Covington H.S. coverage. And that was just one weekend! No left wing bias there.

What about those stories? Those are all much closer to the truth than the story that Fox pushed and neither of those were in coordination with the white house. So neither one of those in any was similar. The Fox story was simply made up with no basis in fact.

I mean the buzzfeed story is only looking better as time goes on.
Quote Reply