Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please explain to me how glue on tubular Wheels can affect rolling resistance
Quote | Reply
I kind of understand how going to latex tubes on clinchers can affect rolling resistance however I cannot wrap my head around how glue on tubulars change change a tires performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me how glue on tubular Wheels can affect rolling resistance [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could imagine if the job is done wrong it could have glue too far outside the contact patch with the rim bed.

Otherwise I’m curious also.

I never believed the comfort aspect until trying tubs. Now, I believe. A 21mm at correct pressure I swear feels as fine as a 23mm clincher.
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me how glue on tubular Wheels can affect rolling resistance [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a bit of an explanation here. "Hard tubular glue prevents visco-elastic motion between tire and rim."

So very similar to tube hysteresis.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Imagine tire glue is foamy and spongy. Now imagine the coating of glue came out to be 2 inches thick because of the consistency. Now imagine riding that wheel with the 2 inch thick layer of glue between the tire and wheel. Same idea on a smaller scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me how glue on tubular Wheels can affect rolling resistance [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting article.

Pretty much all old track-oriented mechanics (national teams, ....) I met knew that hard glue / Tipo Pista / "colle a paillette" (in french) was more efficient than usual road glue.... but such a pain in the ass to use.
But clearly worthy when going to significant track races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
I kind of understand how going to latex tubes on clinchers can affect rolling resistance however I cannot wrap my head around how glue on tubulars change change a tires performance.

If you understand the source of the losses in butyl vs. latex tubes, then you understand the losses in tubular glue.

It's the same effect. Hysteresis losses. The glue is in the load path, and is thus compressed (ever so slightly) at the contact patch.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me how glue on tubular Wheels can affect rolling resistance [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe there was some discussion of this in maybe the second episode of the Marginal Gains podcast.
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me how glue on tubular Wheels can affect rolling resistance [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

I'm going out to get some epoxy for my track race wheels. What could possibly go wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Please explain to me how glue on tubular Wheels can affect rolling resistance [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I'm going out to get some epoxy for my track race wheels. What could possibly go wrong?

You won't be out any money, since nobody wants to buy tubular wheels these days anyway :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:

For real, what's the lowest RR epoxy :D

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised to see that some companies are still only making their disc in a tubular. I believe drag2zero is one of them
Quote Reply