Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hardtail MTB
Quote | Reply
Hello. I need to purchase a hardtail mtb for two long distance races (I will ride it in addition to the races, but I live in a crap area for good mtb trails) I am doing with a family member this year. One is a multi-day race. The courses are not very technical, fire roads and dirt trail (not much in the way of obstacles, hairball descents, etc). Any suggestions? I want something light and fast. :) 2k-3k. Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Hardtail MTB [Nerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might take a look at the Trek Procaliber 9.6. But realistically you could get the aluminum X-caliber 9 for a grand less and never notice a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How tall are you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nerd wrote:
Hello. I need to purchase a hardtail mtb for two long distance races (I will ride it in addition to the races, but I live in a crap area for good mtb trails) I am doing with a family member this year. One is a multi-day race. The courses are not very technical, fire roads and dirt trail (not much in the way of obstacles, hairball descents, etc). Any suggestions? I want something light and fast. :) 2k-3k. Thanks in advance.

Specialized Epic. Full-squish, but can be set up so it rides like a HT. If you really want a HT, Spec Chisel is nice, or Trek Procaliber is a HT with some flex engineered into the seat tube and stays, takes the edge off rough stuff.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Hardtail MTB [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5'11". Longer arms & Torso, shorter legs (30" inseam). clown build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I were buying a hardtail for a couple races and general fun riding I'd be looking hard at the Kona Honzo CR. Right in your price range too.
Quote Reply
Re: Hardtail MTB [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
look for an sworks circa 2011-14 stumpjumper(?) not sure of actual model, with the roval carbon wheels. the 29er HT weighs in under 20lbs without pedals. Great bike for Leadville and similiar types of races..
I bought one a couple of years ago off ebay in perfect condition for $3400, bet you can find this now for around $2k, then do a few upgrades.. .
Last edited by: SDinhofer: Mar 6, 19 10:34
Quote Reply
Re: Hardtail MTB [SDinhofer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
under 10lbs, sell me this bike!
Quote Reply
Re: Hardtail MTB [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ollie3856 wrote:
under 10lbs, sell me this bike!
thanks for pointing out my typo!! fixed above, mine weight 19.6 without pedals when I bought it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if they aren't technical courses, I'd recommend any Trek or SBC carbon hardtail from 2014 onwards. thru axles are nice for brake alignment purposes as well as handling benefits, and the geometry will generally be pretty good for the riding you're doing. Headtubes are pretty short too, so if you need want to ride a short stem, you can size up relatively easily.

you can find a Stumpjumper HT, superfly, or procaliber pretty cheap in raceable condition. I would stay away from Cannondale only because of proprietary parts, but if you have a good dealer, then go for it. I'll make a plug for the epic, I have one and wouldn't race xco or XCM on anything else. However, I trail on a procaliber because I don't want to send my epic back for shock servicing more than 1x/year. The brain system is exceptional for what it's intended to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Hardtail MTB [tweickelberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That Kona is really nice.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses. Much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Epic HT Comp meets most of your requirements. I have one and it's a solid bike that is easy to ride, and I really like the SRAM Eagle drivetrain. It's not the lightest set-up but it doesn't feel heavy, especially when you go tubeless.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Hardtail MTB [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think any Ti 29er (or maybe 27plus) hard tail would be a great buy. Ti is so easy to care for and my not Ti mtbs look like crap after a year of banging around. The Ti bikes still look new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the races, if you don't mind us asking? Because if it really is all fire roads that's one thing, but if there's substantial singletrack that can change the equation, even if it's not particularly gnar.

If there's a lot of single track, i would definitely check out the Kona, but also the Ibis DV9 and the KHS Team 29er. All three of these have slacker geometry for going fast over rough stuff and generous tire clearance. What's the advantage of this, you might say? Well, the fastest way to ride twisty single-track is to maintain as much speed as possible through the turns rather than slowing way down and then sprinting when you leave the apex. Tires on the bigger end are heavier but you can rail those corners harder without worrying that all the roots and rocks that inevitably cover (at least in the Northeast) them will take you down.

I don't actually think weight matters that much, except on the extreme ends. Yes lighter is better but three or four pounds i think will never be as important as traction when it comes to going fast.

FWIW, the newer models of the more XC-oriented hardtails (like the Specialized, Cannondale, Felt) have slacker geometry vs. the older iterations of the same models, but they're still a degree or two more XC-like (and less trail-like) than the Kona, Ibis and KHS. And i know at least the Specialized uses boost spacing standard so I'd assume has good tire clearance too, but i'm not sure about the others.

Any of these could be the right choice / the fastest option depending on what the course is like. I'd personally go with the Ibis or KHS becaus (i) i like to race on saturday but then shred on Sunday and (ii) i like the option of putting SUPER fatty tires on in the winter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things I would do in your position, first is buy a $6k+ used bike, it will be in your price range. Next I would get a full suspension that can be locked out for your easy gravel roads, but then you have it in case you decide to do some funner stuff. Used MTB's values drop like a rock from new, then level off at about 1/2 price +/-, depending how hard they were ridden and age..

But honestly, I have an 8 year old Scalpel lefty29er, and the new ones really are not much different, except in some components. It is lighter than most hard tails new in your price range, and that bike will always handle whatever I can dish out...Makes up for a lot of my mistakes too...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tons of great racy hardtail options in that price point (Specialized Chisel, Canyon Exceed, Santa Cruz Highball), although for a hardtail I'd consider a "trail" hardtail like the Kona Honzo or the Santa Cruz Chameleon (just released carbon options that may be a bit too much, but the aluminum builds are right in that range).

A few unconventional ideas to consider are a drop-bar "gravel" bike with 650b wheels (the new Nukeproof Digger Pro looks fun in a good price point, and there are tons of options in this category as well - might be the fastest option for the races you're describing, plus versatile for mixed terrain riding), or maybe a plus hardtail like the Trek Stache (29+) or any one of the many 27.5+ hardtails (many of which offer the ability to run 27.5+ or 29, like the Chameleon and Honzo) if you think you'll do much actual trail riding.
Quote Reply