Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P2 replacement fork questions
Quote | Reply
I bought my P2 a couple years ago and love the bike. This last month I noticed that the handlebars seemed to be flexing up and down when I was climbing .. on inspection I found a horizontal crack in the steerer tube just a hair above the headset. The break is about halfway through the tube and feels ready to snap if I were to pull up or down hard on the bars.

I'm now in a sort of quandary: I don't live especially close to any Cervelo dealers, and their policy is claims must go through a dealer. Since it's logistically difficult for me to get to a dealer, I am wondering if I should just write it off and buy a replacement fork online.

Have any Cervelo owners here had a similar issue with their fork? If you did, were you successful with a warranty claim? How long did the warranty process take?

Besides warranty, any suggestions for the most cost effective option for a replacement fork? Ebay? Also, will the fork from other P series bikes fit the P2? Its the newish model.. the blue/white 2015/16 frame. My budget is very tight so picking up a used fork would be great, but I cant seem to find any.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Last edited by: davejustdave: Mar 6, 19 7:33
Quote Reply
Re: P2 replacement fork questions [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have all your info together and give Cervelo a call. Explain your quandary and ask if they could work with your lbs. Maybe you'll get lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: P2 replacement fork questions [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already emailed them. They expressed sympathy but said it needs to go to a dealer. It's their policy, which is fine. I was frustrated at first, but then realized that my logistical challenges have zero to do with them and 100% to do with my own choices.

I can get the bike to a dealer, it'll just be a PITA. That's why I'm hoping to get an idea of if it'll be worth it.

Its a great bike and easily the nicest I've ever owned (even though its "just" an entry level bike). My goal is to get it up and riding as quick and painlessly as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By chance did you ask if they would sell you just a fork? That may be your best, but maybe not least expensive option. It would save you the time for a couple of trips to the nearest Cervelo dealer. Or perhaps the nearest dealer could order the fork and ship it to you home.

My apologies for the somewhat simplistic suggestions.
Last edited by: FatandSlow: Mar 6, 19 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
Also, will the fork from other P series bikes fit the P2? Its the newish model..

I think I read somewhere that a P5 fork can be used, but i'm not certain.
Quote Reply
Re: P2 replacement fork questions [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
Also, will the fork from other P series bikes fit the P2? Its the newish model..

That's true. A newer P5-3 P5-6 or P3 fork will fit. It's an upgrade too since the blades are thinner. I see them on ebay occasionally.

I even have a P5-6 fork that I no longer need. The steerer is 148mm... it would fit a 51 and maybe a 54.
Quote Reply
Re: P2 replacement fork questions [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
SteveM wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

That's true. A newer P5-3 P5-6 or P3 fork will fit. It's an upgrade too since the blades are thinner. I see them on ebay occasionally.

I even have a P5-6 fork that I no longer need. The steerer is 148mm... it would fit a 51 and maybe a 54.

Now we're getting somewhere!

Unfortunately, my bike is a 58, so too big for your fork, but I have seen P5-6 forks on ebay as well, but didn't know if they would work on my bike or not.

Seems like a good solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the Tririg universal brake cover thread there is a guy who printed a cover for the P5-6 with the Omega brake. Looked pretty slick, and he said he'd make the file available. He may even print one for you.

I'm not completely sure that the front of the P5 headtube is the same as the P2 but I bet it is. Close enough anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What year is your P2? I have a 2013 P2 that has a replacement fork which is the same rake as the stock fork. It's probably marginally not as aero but would be substantially cheaper for you to find on ebay. It's also stiffer than the stock fork, which I appreciate as a 6"5 dude.
Quote Reply
Re: P2 replacement fork questions [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just curious what you bought, and surprised it's noticeably stiffer than the P2 fork.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a 2007 P2 SL, the black one. I found a horizontal crack on the left side of the carbon Wolf fork. It was not from crashing, and I was still unable to return it with a warranty. They offered to sell me another carbon fork, though that would have costed me over $400. I had my local bike shop order an aluminum compatible fork from an inhouse company that matched my bike's specs and I was good to go. Only cost me $100 for the fork, shipping and installation. Not as aero, though it got the job done and has held up nicely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:

Unfortunately, my bike is a 58, so too big for your fork, but I have seen P5-6 forks on ebay as well, but didn't know if they would work on my bike or not.

I just switched to the P5-6 fork on my P5-3, so I have the original for sale in the classifieds. My bike is a 58.
Quote Reply
Re: P2 replacement fork questions [stevendex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevendex wrote:
What year is your P2? I have a 2013 P2 that has a replacement fork which is the same rake as the stock fork. It's probably marginally not as aero but would be substantially cheaper for you to find on ebay. It's also stiffer than the stock fork, which I appreciate as a 6"5 dude.

It's a 2015 aka "the newer version". lemme look into if itll fit, but Im leaning towards the p5 fork another STer has. I appreciate the offer tough!
Quote Reply
Re: P2 replacement fork questions [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
davejustdave wrote:

I just switched to the P5-6 fork on my P5-3, so I have the original for sale in the classifieds. My bike is a 58.

sending you a PM
Quote Reply